Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smartwool Sock Sizes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm about to order some Smartwool ski socks but I'm not sure which size to go for.

Medium is 5-7.5 and Large is 8-10.5. Most of the shoes I wear are size 8, which puts me in between the two size ranges. I've done quite a bit of searching and there seems to be varying opinions on whether to get the bigger or smaller size when you are in the middle.

If anyone wears these socks with the same foot size, which size did you go for?

Also, I can't decide whether to go for the medium or light cushion socks. I'll be going to Mayrhofen in March and will be renting boots if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

James
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JamesPearlEX, hi and welcome snowHead

I don't have size 8 feet but do fall between sizes in a similar way. I always size down – you don't want baggy socks and they will stretch a bit. Also, the thinner the better for a good boot fit (less of an issue with rentals, but good socks will probably last longer than you rent boots for) so go for light.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there. I don't use the Smartwool socks but I have a slim heel and although I take a 44 in hiking boots and trainers my ski boots are both 41.5 which is a nice snug fit. I have found that getting 42 - 44 size socks always leads to a lightly baggy heel so I am no changing to a 39 - 41 sock. The only time I'll go back to 42 - 44 sizing is with compression socks for touring as they are very snug.

Seconded on the thin socks if you have your own boots... much more comfy and a better fit with boots if they really suit the shape of your feet. A lot of people I know get a medium thickness sock once their boot liner packs down a bit, but with rental boots you are unlikely to have a very close fitting boot. I would still advise a thinner sock and getting a rental boot that fits snugly.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 31-12-16 12:25; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for getting back to me Smile

I think I will go for the light cushioned socks.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that some of my shoes are size 9, depends on the brand.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JamesPearlEX, get the medium. I'm an 8.5 UK shoe and the Large is way too long, it will ruck up around your heel. The medium will stretch and fit snugly no problem. Am using Teko socks at the moment but have had plenty of Smartwool in the past.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
JamesPearlEX, Hi james welcome to snowHead

I usually wear smartwool socks and around the same size shoe as you 8.5 - 9. I tried some medium ones that will stretch, however the leg length was a little short for me. As I'm tall with a long leg they didn't fit over the calf as they should. So went for the large and much better fit and foot wise are ok.

Thickness wise, personal choice, but as my boots are very close fit, I go with their Ulta light range - not really which to advise as you're in hire boots, probably light fit would be ok, medium tend to be quite thick.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice Raceplate and Bones.

I'm 5'7" and have quite short legs, 29" inseam, so the mediums sound as though they would be OK lengthwise.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would size down in your case to be honest.

I've successfully used the medium cushion ones in rental boots but in my fitted boots the same ones felt like the were cutting off my blood supply! No idea who uses anything thicker than the medium to be honest.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought the light cushioned Smartwool ski socks from Sportpursuit and went for large. I take 9.5 or 10 UK size and they fit perfectly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@JamesPearlEX, my feet are the same size as yours, and I have the large socks. Most of the time they are fine, but sometimes they ruck up under my feet, especially if my boots are cold when I put them on. When I get more, I'll go for the medium.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy