Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best all round European resort

Poster: A snowHead
Saalbach OK not the steepest but should suit most abilities and has apres to suit most.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I love the Dolomites, I haven't really worked out where the best place to stay is. (At least not for skiing, I do have a favourite centre for walking holidays.) But I also think Mottaret is hard to beat, not because it is lovely in itself - it isn't - but because it is bang in the middle of the Trois Vallees, which is my favourite of all the large ski domains I've visited, bar the Dolomites. But I have to declare an interest: I am an unreconstructed francophile, despite high prices, rudeness, vulgar oligarchs, the ubiquitous Folies Douces and the many other horrors lurking in the French stations. wink

Then again, outside the large domains, last year I visited Serre Chevalier for the first time. Bliss, totally restored my faith in la France profonde.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
emwmarine wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
emwmarine wrote:
The one that wins each year on the annual skiing awards is Val Thorens.

If you mean the World Ski Awards, they're hardly unbiased and a money making scheme IME (as in trying to extract cash from people they nominate, not from nominees paying to win)... For example nominees can pay for materials and badges to promote themselves as nominees - and IIRC the winner even has to pay for their trophy! Also FWIW the voting is (at least was two years ago, I didn't check if it was the same last time) heavily weighted towards people with an 'industry' email address rather than paying customers.

Well we all got excited and thought they were a jolly good thing when our own Rob@rar got nominated. Nobody was saying they were biased then and anyone could vote.

When the vote for best resorts came out anyone could also vote. The facebook pages of many resorts were trying to get their followers to all vote. I can't see how that's biased. Sounds a bit more like sour grapes.

What grapes do you think I have that I could be sour about Puzzled

If it wasn't clear, I'm not saying anything against the winners or the nominees. Actually I'm not saying the 'World Ski Awards' are doing anything wrong either, just that I don't personally have much faith that the winners of each of their categories are really the best in the industry.

What I'm *sceptical* of is an 'awards body' that's set up like a business, charges nominees to have a voting landing page on their website (would be interesting to see how many win without paying for that) rather than asking potential voters to scroll through all the nominees to find their listing, charges nominees to use their little digital badges for marketing, and charges winners £500 for their trophy.

But that's just my opinion and maybe I'm too cynical.

Regarding voting, sure anyone can vote, but votes of those with an "industry email address" are weighted 5x.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 31-12-16 4:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
halfhand wrote:
I don't know, I haven't skied them all yet Laughing

+1 Very Happy

Maybe I'm just easily pleased but I've liked everywhere with snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
November, December, April, May
And now probably add to that : January:

Tignes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Davos.

Decent area. Snow is better than St. Moritz.

World Economic Forum is held there every year because those types know they will get well looked after in the local hotels. Other conference freeloaders and tax dodgers also choose it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:

Regarding voting, sure anyone can vote, but votes of those with an "industry email address" are weighted 5x.

I didn't realise that. That's not good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="Whitegold"]

Based on general skiing, snow reliability, and affordability, Val Thorens is the best.

You can't mention affordability and a French resort in the same sentence.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/Baqueira-Beret-Spain-is-this-the-worlds-best-ski-resort/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Mother hucker"]
Whitegold wrote:

Based on general skiing, snow reliability, and affordability, Val Thorens is the best.

keeps the chavs away.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[quote="emwmarine"]
Mother hucker wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

keeps the chavs away.

I've seen plenty of chavs all over the French Alps.
Being expensive only takes chavidom to a new level
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting debate but why has no-one mentioned The Lecht?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1) Kitzbuhel
2) =Val Thorens, 3Valleys/Tignes, Val D'Isere
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It all depends who is going but when you say "best all round" I think best for a mixed ability group and assume VFM is not a key consideration. Personally then I'd chose Courchevel 1850 - staying in a chalet or hotel on the piste.
If you throw budget into the equation then it gets much more complex because everything becomes a trade off. Still might end up in the TV but think you could make a good case for a bunch of other places in Italy and Austria as well as France depending on your priorities even as a mixed ability group.
I
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

1) Kitzbuhel

I really like Kitzbuhel but I struggle to see how anyone can see it as the best all round resort given it lacks altitude and big mountain scenery. It's a lovely niche rather than an allrounder IMO.
ski holidays
I know the answer, but could only tell you if you know the password. Toofy Grin
snow report
@gazzaredcruiser, I think the restaurant is called Marendalm, like @Valkyrie, we were also In kaltenbach/fugen xmas week, as you say fantastic food and value for money.

absolutely loved the whole area, especially the long ski down the mountain in the afternoon to the bottom of the gondola, as the snowmaking/management was excellent.

I never thought I would ever "stray" to far from my first love (the 3valleys) until I had a couple of flings in Combloux feb/march last year, but am now looking to a complete separation due to "irreconcilable differences" (namely finances!!!!) and moving in with a newer, mysterious, younger model i.e. Zillertal area!!!

as Arnie once said "I'll be back"
snow conditions
This is the only list that matters...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/articles/Best-ski-resorts-for-guaranteed-snow/
snow conditions
@terrygasson, it is a great area with the train up and down the Zillertal valley included in the ski pass. Did you go to the top of the valley and ski the glacier at Hintertux. A fantastic bowl.
latest report
@gazzaredcruiser, unfortunately not, will aim to do that next time when we visit.
latest report
@terrygasson, Well you'll have to tick that off next time.
ski holidays
For me it would be a traditional Swiss resort.... with a cog railway and views of the Matterhorn/Eiger
With Italian rifugi..... Pride filled pasta, pizza, coffee, bombardino
Austrian après.... Even if I am too old for it
Bulgarian prices.... How cheap?
Scottish attitude.... Hey Baw Bag! Call that a hurricane?
French language.... Coz I did it at school
snow conditions
Heaven,

American snow
Italian food
Scottish attitude
Austrian Apre
Swiss efficiency
Bulgarian prices
French lift system
English policemen

Hell

American food
Scottish lift system
French attitude
Swiss apre
Austrian policemen
English policemen
Bulgarian efficiency
ski holidays
Sorry, that should be eng!ish snow for help.
latest report
@cameronphillips2000, Add french coffee to the hell list and Italian coffee to heaven and I think you've prettymuch nailed it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy