Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Conditions the week before Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
How were the conditions the week before Christmas 2005? Am thinking of going that time this year. Am I best heading to high altitude resorts? Are most resort facilities/lifts/pistes open if there is now? Can you get some quite good prices for that time of year?

Many thanks.

Hannah
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hannah, yes, you are better off going to a high resort but even that doesn't guarantee good snow depths, have a look at the Ski Club's historical snow depths, you can find a copy on our website www.tracksvacations.com this will give you good indication of likely snow depths based on history. In La Rosiere we had good snow the week before Xmas, the resort opened on the 10th Dec. Yes, you can get good prices, if you go to our website you'll see the difference, £260.00 for the first week of the season, £340.00 for the second week and £510.00 for Xmas week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go East. Austria has had good snow before Christmas for the last 3 years. More important than altitude at that time of year in my (admittedly limited) experience. The Western Alps seem to get thier snow later. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hannah, I would second what Chris Bish, says. There are many (relatively low) resorts in Austria that open well before Christmas. One such example would be Schladming, which is only about 900m and has a top elevation of only about 1800m, but regularly opens some of its lifts in November/early December and is consistently fully open well before Christmas.

I went to Hintertux on 17th November for a short trip this year and on the way back to the airport the snows began that lasted for several days and gave some excellent conditions in many Austrian resorts which has continued through this season. At the same time that there was excellent skiing in Austria, PG was reporting fairly poor conditions at Tignes.

Obergurgl, and Obertauern would be good considerations for you. Alternatively, you could always choose a glacier resort, which would virtually guarantee skiing at that time of year. There are several in Austria.

I tried to assess the developing situation this season and started this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10280 However, as with most threads, it wobbled off course and didn't get very far, but the intention was to see where the early snow was and which resorts opened with what amount of piste available across the Alps.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hannah. If you're planning to ski more than 5 days before the Christmas blip I wouldn't forward-book at all. Ski resorts are very quiet in early to mid December, so accommodation goes begging. Tour operators would probably have late deals available once you know which area of the Alps (or elsewhere) has the best snow cover.

Snow can be a real risk in December, even in the places with the best snow records, so I'd advise that you watch and wait.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, thankyou for that, I meant to add words to that effect at the bottom of my post.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for your replies, they've been most helpful.

David Goldsmith wrote:
If you're planning to ski more than 5 days before the Christmas blip I wouldn't forward-book at all.

Snow can be a real risk in December, even in the places with the best snow records, so I'd advise that you watch and wait.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear (as is quite usual!) - this would be a last minute booking but I wanted to check the conditions first before booking time off work, or at least tentatively book the time off work!

Hannah
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like a very good plan to me, but I would set up your favourites for webcams in Austria rather than France. You should be able to get a really good deal. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to st anton late deal befor christmas,catered chalet £240 ,had fantastic conditions, this is the 3rd time done late deal to "st anton" befor christmas great conditions every time Smile and as Chris Bish, says keep your eyes on the webcams.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 29-01-06 9:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I hate to disagree, I ski the week before Christmas almost every year, and conditions are variable. Some years it's great, some years it's very mediocre. The year before last most resorts only had one or two pistes open with artificial snow, the year before that things were slightly better. As mentioned in an earlier post Austria has done well in the early season for the past few years.

Even if the snow is great, my experience has been that the resort is unlikely to be fully open as there just aren't enough paying punters to open all the lifts.

The upside is, that if the snow's good, you can get some fantastic skiing done on deserted slopes, but you are taking a risk, and if it was your only week's skiing I would recommend going slightly later in the season.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Couple (well, three) of extra points:

Snow depths are a reasonable indicator, but aren't the whole story. Some resorts (mostly Austrian ones) can get good piste coverage with 20-30cms of snow, because the terrain is relatively consistent, and not rocky, whereas most major French and Swiss resorts have much rockier terrain, and need greater snow depth for good coverage.

In many areas (especially Italy), a lot of the snow may be artificial snow, which necessarily means on-piste coverage only. How much artificial snow can be made is dependent on the temperatures in November and December. Also, most resorts only have artificial snow on the lower slopes. This season, mostly due to a cold November/December, a lot of resorts had very similar snow coverage on the lower and the upper slopes (and re my previous point, in general (a major generalisation) the upper slopes are steeper and rockier), so there was little benefit going for a high resort

And as Kramer says, the resorts are unlikely to fully open as there aren't enough punters, but also because they'll want to preserve a lot of the pistes for the Christmas/New Year crowds
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hannah, FWIW we were in Courchevel from 20 to 27.12.05 and the conditions were pretty crap; too little snow, although what there was was remarkably well preserved. Lots of rocks and roots. Quite a few runs and lifts shut. Worth the trip, though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, I was in Meribel at pretty much the same time, and I agree about the conditions. Had a fun holiday but the skiing was mediocre at best, and played havoc with my ski bases.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whereas in Saalbach from the 24th we had snow to burn! I rest my case!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer wrote:
richmond, I was in Meribel at pretty much the same time, and I agree about the conditions. Had a fun holiday but the skiing was mediocre at best, and played havoc with my ski bases.

I bet it did. I was glad to have hired, and to be wearing a helmet. We found the best conditions on the St Martin side of Meribel valley, I reckon, although we didn't get up to VT, which may well have been better. The Courchevel side of Meribel valley was pretty horrid, as was most of the sking above 1650.
latest report
Hello everyone, I'm new here Very Happy

I agree with what everyone's said about Austria - was in Saalbach 17th-23rd and there was between 60 and 80cm in the village and over a metre at the top. Only thing is, the apres doesn't really get going until the Friday before Christmas, when the Dutch, Germans and Austrians go on holiday. Still, that means you get great empty slopes!
ski holidays
welcome to snowheads Hennerz, snowHead
snow report
Can only talk about here in Alpe d'Huez and obvioulsy it varies year to year - several years back it was still looking worryingly green just before Chrimbo but this last year I had guests out 9th December not only were the conditions fabulous they were the only people on the mountain (well almost) so good ahead and book your time off and then keep a beady eye on whats happening!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy