Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down jacket advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I've been looking at down jackets and wondered if any of you good folk could give me some advice please. It's for a forthcoming trip to St Anton, not for skiing itself but more Apres/evenings, plus dog walking and sport watching when back home. I've been looking at the below Rab jackets but I have no prior experience with down and they all make similar 'warm' claims Happy

Lightweight
- Nimbus (synthetic)
- Microlight (down)

Mid-weight
- Nebula (synthetic)
- Electron (down)

It sounds like I should be looking at the synthetic jackets over down however trying both nimbus and microlight versions on they felt very, well, lightweight to be warm enough.

Many thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Down works very well for more static activities (dog walking included). Ideally max fill numbers. Ideally DWR or water resistant ext fabric.

I have a lightweight one which is excellent as an Autumn jacket but not warm enough for Alpine Winter.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One thing to remember with all Down jackets is that if the filling gets wet, it gets heavy as sin and doesn't dry for a long time. I have 2 down jackets and as the above poster mentions, I really only use them for standing still. One is a Marmot ski jacket and they must have designed it for skiing in Antarctica or something because it's outrageously warm. I only used it when I was working in the snowdome because I wasn't moving so much. Nowadays it sits still.

I would buy synthetic because technology has really got it to the stage where it rivals down pretty well. If you're on a budget you can't beat a TW Kempton jacket - the army issue extreme cold weather jacket - they literally cost about £25 direct from the manufacturer and are extremely warm and comfortable. If you want a few more features and a bit less of a utilitarian feel, then for me it's all about the Snugpak Softie which is more like £100

I wore both whilst soldiering in very cold places and both are very good. I have Rab and Haglofs jackets but really the Softie is the best for me, and costs less. Down, for me, isn't worth bothering with anymore.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi

OK so am going to put my head above the parapet here on this one......

I have just brought a North Face Nupste 2 down jacket. I have owned a Nupste vest for a number of years and have always found it to be excellent. I eventually took the plunge and went for the Nupste 2 as it is ZipIn compatible with my North Face shell jackets.

I could not ski in it as way too warm for that but for dog walking and watching my son play sport it is really good. I know that some people see the North Face as more of a fashion brand now rather than a serious outdoor contender but I have always found their clothing to be well made and well fitting. Just make sure that you obtain any North Face gear from proper stockists as there is a lot of fake rubbish out there.

Griggs
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I ski in these with just a base layer and have a fleece or GTX jacket in the pack as backup.

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/the-north-face-mens-thermoball-hoodie/205571

https://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/the-north-face-mens-quince-pro-hooded-jacket/201104

I've just finished a walk today along a breezy shore today in Moray and a tshirt is all that is required for a walk with the quince down jacket.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I took my RAB microlight jacket away last time for the evenings and it did the job perfectly well. One night it was snowing heavily and quite cold but I was perfectly warm and dry as we walked between bars (I was only wearing a tshirt under the coat). I honestly don't think I'd ever need a warmer down jacket for places I've skied in Europe and with a jumper on underneath for colder places I've been.

It's pretty good when it's cold at home too whereas anything more heavy duty would be too warm but useless in rain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got both a micro lite and a nimbus. Swear by the micro lite for cold transitions/snack/lunch stops on chilly tours or to throw on over a shell if it gets really cold. I've just bought the nimbus for the same when the conditions are cold but not necessarily dry (Norway in April!). It's a slimmer cut than the micro lite, which I prefer. Not quite as instantly warming but not far off. Wouldn't wear either as a mid layer unless it was -20; agree with the others above.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some have water resistant outer layers. Some now have "treated" down that is meant to resist water absorption and clumping.

As I was told though when Imgot my heavy one, if it's warm enough to rain it's too warm to wear down.

I think weight for weight down is still higher performance than synthetic... especially when standing still.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, it certainly is snowHead

The Rab down has a hydrophobic treatment applied so it resists light rain to a point if you're unfortunate enough to be caught with your pants down.

Agree that if it's more than a few deg above zero leave it at home.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find my RAB down jacket great for watching a night race, and have worn it down (pun intended) to -29C in Canada and slept on top of Caingorm in a Feb storm in it.

For sporting use I either take a thin synthetic jacket (very stowable), or my ice climbing belay jacket which is much more water resistant and designed to be pulled on over your shell... perfect for ski stops.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just wanted to say many thanks for the replies.

I went to my local Cotswold Outdoor yesterday and after trying all four mentioned above it was a choice between the Microlight or Nebula. I preferred the Microlight but went home with the Nebula deciding synthetic was a better option.

Cheers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy