Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And we're off.......

Poster: A snowHead
There is only so long I can sit around with no plans of such for the festive period. So the last 3 hours have consisted of beer, some nice wine, webcam stalking, Skyscanner flight searching, accommodation checking, and now I'm finally past the point of technically being sober, I've booked! So the snow has gone to poo-pooè, there is none, it's 32c even on the glaciers, everywhere is crowded and too busy, but sod it at 7.05am tomorrow I will be hurtling down the runway of Mr Lennons runway and heading for Geneva. I've found a great chalet situated just outside of Bourg, which is an absolute bargain I must add. Yes I know there won't be snow down there, and there won't be door to door skiing, but my thought behind the location is that due to its proximity to several ski areas I can pick the best on a daily basis. Having spoke to the owners they are more than happy to do lifts to either Paradiski, La Rosiere, St Foy or Tignes. So all in all we have just paid £450pp for 5 days in the Alps over new year, for flight, catered chalet, and transfers and I'm quite happy with that! I shall keep this thread updated with how we get on. Excited Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Ricklovesthepowder, take your hiking boots Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gazzaredcruiser, flip flops and swim shorts are in my friend.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a great time. Some years ago a group of us stayed in Bourg. It worked very well. We had a day in La Rosiere, a day in Val d' Isere, a day in Meribel, a day in Valmorel and two days in Les Arcs (catching the funicular)
Some places worked better than others but it was good to ski a variety of resorts and to see how they compared
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JohnHSmith, that's exactly what we will be doing. The chalet owner was skiing in tignes tkday and said that what was open skies very well. He mentioned about skiing over into Italy later in the week from La Rosiere somewhere I haven't been before so that should be fun. NYE in Bourg should be good too. Looking forward to the trip!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ricklovesthepowder, i'm off the 3V's in just over two weeks and i'm starting to get nervous! i'm sure you'll be fine at Tignes, La Plagne etc. all nice and high and by all accounts there's some good skiing to be had if you stay high.

Enjoy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, La Rosiere / La Thuile is much underrated. Enjoy it to the full. Get across to Italy early and enjoy both sides
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avoid La Plagne it has the best on piste and so is far too busy snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boredsurfin, how busy are the pistes? Much queing?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gazzaredcruiser,

There's nothing to be nervous about. We've just got back from a week in Meribel and had a great time.

Although there is no real snow below 2000m they have done a fantastic job with the snow making. In fact we have had far worse conditions (than we encountered last week) on real snow over several New Year trips.

We are looking forward to our next trip to the 3Vs on 3rd January - whether or not it snows between now and then.

Fear not! Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ricklovesthepowder, good on you. The world's full of pessimists. More optimism, that's what we need Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chamcham, exactly. Alarm set and off to sleep. I'll give an update tomorrow and throughout my trip. Fog tomorrow morning could be an issue at Liverpool by all accounts!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Ricklovesthepowder, Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

More optimism, that's what we need

+ 1 Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just arrived at the chalet in Bourg. Beautiful day, cold and crisp. The snow line looking up is 2000m, but there are ribbons of white running lower than that. Won't be skiing today just getting my gear later then out on the slopes tomorrow. Chalet is fantastic and the hosts are an absolute gem. I feel a beer coming on and I sit on the balcony in the sun
ski holidays
Smile @Ricklovesthepowder, keep the updates coming. Like in Elf, where Santa's sleigh was powered by Christmas cheer, I feel the more optimism there is, the more likely it is to snow. wink
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, did the same last week (well 16 - 20th) - La Tuille and Rosiere is/was in good nick, and should certainly be visited. (you had to go all the way up to the Rosiere station, as the uplift lift was not on - it may be running now).

Get over to the 2000 bowl in Les Arcs - it may be the more crowded, but despite some fabulous efforts by the pisteurs on the 'front side', was in much better condition than 1800. Hence why it is busy I guess...

Is your chalet providing food? there's a good Chinese in town if not.

Looking forward to the trip reports.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll,

Yes - that Chinese in Bourg is very good. The only downside for us was that on our last visit (when 4 of us intended to share 4 main courses) they brought the food in dribs and drabs, which detracted somewhat from the experience. If we hadn't been sharing, diner No. 1 would have finished his meal before diner No.3's food had even arrived...
ski holidays
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

+ 1 Very Happy

+1 Very Happy Very Happy Glass half full Very Happy
snow report
Well I can truly say in all the years and trips I've stayed in catered chalets, we've hit the jackpot with this place. It isn't everyones cup of tea, it for me, it's perfect. The owners are quite frankly two of the nicest people I've ever met. Ran us into Bourg earlier which was quite a surprise fo me as I was expecting another Moutiers, but it's so much nicer. Skis have been rented, lift passes bought, then we have had a traditional Danish Christmas dinner this evening (Connie is from denmark) which was lovely. 4 of the owners friends came over for dinner too (we are the only couple in the chalet) so that was nice and they have been up in Les Arc today and said first thing the pistes are hard and Icy, but they soften in the sunshine. They said that the resorts have made what is open very nice to ski on in general for the conditions. Genuinely looking forward to getting up there tomorrow. I will do a trip report each day with photographs. That's all for today.
latest report
Well done for taking the punt.
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, excellent! I'm very pleased it's working out for you. Can't wait till the next instalment Smile
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:
Swissie wrote:
Quote:

+ 1 Very Happy

+1 Very Happy Very Happy Glass half full Very Happy

I sense a quiet revolution here Smile
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, which chalet?
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, interesting to see how you're getting on, sounds like a good solution with access to all of those good ski areas as suits the conditions.
Would you consider offering the details for recommendation? Either on here or via a pm I'd appreciate as I've been asked for a recommendation for late January and it sounds like a good choice for what they're asking.

We've been staying at Ste Foy for last two year trips, well worth a day up there. Recommend the Ravioli in café at the top of very first chairlift, right on front of you as you exit chair, a very good lunch spot.

The trip over from La Ros to Italy is also a nice day out, the two chairlifts on the way back are usually very cold as they'll be move shady this time of year, so worth considering any extras you may want to dress with.

Looking forward to more of your trip report.
latest report
I'm with @Arctic Roll, & @ski3!! Dish out the info and give these good people some publicity!
ski holidays
Just got back from skiing and had a fantastic day. The chalet I'm staying in is called Chalet Chalet La Bas, 4km outside of Bourg. I will do a full report of the day later.
latest report
Bourg is lovely - we've had our summer holiday there for the last five years! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got tucked up into bed after a hard days skiing. Yes, you heard right, skiing. All of the doom and gloom reports really did make me question whether the trip was worth it or not, and I can confirm that after a day on the slopes, predominantly above Les Arc 2000, that I made the right choice to come. Everything above 1800 is open and for the majority of the day it skied very well. Not just for the conditions we currently have, but very well in general. If you are a piste skier, then you have nothing to worry about. If off piste is your cup of tea then there may be some issues, but today going up various lifts branching out in all directions there was off piste tracks down mountains and Col'. After lunch, 2.30pm on the lowest of slopes that were open, mainly around Les Arc 1950 were becoming scraped, but that's usual even after a lot more snowfall than there had been. Looking out across the valleys this afternoon towards lower resorts, I can see where the problem would be, but stay high (2000m+) and there won't be any problems. One thing that surprised me today was the temperatures. At the top of the Glacier in Les Arc, the cable car was showing +7c at 3200m, lower down the temperature was much colder at around 0c at best. Had a lovely meal this evening and very relaxed atmosphere as we are the only two in the chalet. Steve and Connie are with us this evening and the food once again was fantastic. Looking forward to getting out again tomorrow. For all of those who are heading out, some fresh snow wouldn't go a miss, but would I be pressing the panic button - no not yet, and probably not for another few weeks at least. If there hasn't been any new snow this time in 2 weeks then there may start to be a few issues with the pistes, in certain places, but I really wouldn't worry. In bed now tired after a long day. I'll report back again tomorrow.
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Glad you are enjoying your trip.

A visit to La Thuille via La Rossiere is well worth the visit if only for a 'proper' hot chocolate in Italy.
ski holidays
Morning update. From the chalet in BSM we look up towards the pistes that you would ski down to get on the Vanoise express. There isn't any snow on the ones we have been able to ski but the cannons are blasting away this morning with big white pockets of snow visible from the valley floor. Must be a good sign and they are trying to create a base.
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Good to hear you had a good day. Have another one today!
ski holidays
Tucked up in bed after a fairly light days skiing. Got up late, breakfast was late, on the slopes for 10.30/11am - who knows? Headed the exact same way as yesterday over to Les Arc 2000 and stayed in that bowl. The snow up there really is fantastic. And in good shape and stays that way for most of the day. Had lunch in town today rather than up the mountain. After lunch anna had enough for the day and to save the ice fest and confidence knock she suffered the day previous, she took the us back from Arc 2000 to the funicular at 1600. We did a top gear style race so I wasn't hanging about and skied at a steady pace. It really is a good job she took the bus because some of the lower slopes are totally scraped and she physically wouldn't have got down. I was nervous on some parts too. The blue run Arpette was dodgy in places, and the red run which runs straight down to 1600 was scrubbed, rock hard and dangerous. The bottom part was particularly nasty and for beginners or anyone with a confidence issue this would be a real pain. If you are coming out or planning to very soon, either avoid this section of run, or pray it snows. As a whole when our skiing the lack of snow really never comes into question, until you are heading back down at the end of the day and the slopes are tired, you are tired, and everyone else is in the same boat. I was heading over to La Thuile/La Rosiere tomorrow but anna fancies skiing again so will stay in Les Arcs and see where we end up. All in all so far really good ski trip and far better than I anticipated.

That's all for tonight. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.
ski holidays
We have stayed in La Rosiere when the snow was a wee bit thin and found it OK. Over in La Thuile it was actually a lot better. Plenty of good skiing over there. And in La Rosiere they managed the available snow very well, keeping runs open by resting some and rotating the runs in use.
Can you find out what the snow is like over in La Thuile? It might be worth a trip
ski holidays
So what happened for your return Ricklovesthepowder? On the GVA thread you last posted that you had checked your bags in and were looking forward to lunch on the train to GVA, how did you get home? Loved this thread by the way, what a great story of a late booked and inspirational short trip.
ski holidays
@FFIRMIN, currently sat in Geneva airport waiting for our flight at 5pm. Dropped bags off at Geneva airport at 12pm, down the stairs to the train station, 10 minutes later we were walking down the Main Street towards the lake. Found a beautiful restaurant with pizza. Got the train back to the airport all very simple. I will do a more detailed report tonight when I get home with a good cuppa and a summary
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Were you able to drop your bags off for an EJ flight more than three hours before the flight?
Well done on the trip, good effort.
snow conditions
I think the words were a bit mixed up in the other post and suggested you were eating on the train, after I posted I realised that you were probably catching the train into town for a bite to eat after dropping off the bags. Silly me but it shows I pay attention to what people say!!
snow conditions
@FFIRMIN, I probably didn't word it very well. Just sat on the runway about to head home.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy