Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flat light in Val Cenis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We were looking to try out Val Cenis for the first time in early Jan but looking on the web cams it looks like most of the slopes are north facing and seem to be in shade almost all day at this time of year. Is this an accurate picture? My spirits are really lifted by skiing in sunshine and while I know we can't guarantee the weather, I want to enjoy the sun if it's around. Driving from Geneva and not booked resort yet - we were hoping for Samoens but that's not looking likely now. Any advice appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Its a relatively accurate picture, but at the very top with views out over the lake, you will see sun.
For a full "sun" resort in the neighbourhood, Avoriaz is the place to go.....

Enjoy the holiday, its a nice family resort with stuff to do in the evening and a smattering of nice off-piste. Its a great location with access to many other resorts within a short drive!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jules123M, Welcome to snowHead doesn't sound like anywhere has great snow yet but I haven't looked closely.
If you are wanting South facing slopes in the same valley Aussois is the place to go, no idea what the snow is like there at the moment , personally I would wait as long as possible at the moment and see where the snow is, sounds like Italy may be a better bet which you can get to through the Mont Blanc tunnel , hopefully there may be fresh snow before you go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apologies I meant Aussois not Avoriaz!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jules123M, given the current snow situation I would aim for the resorts that have snow rather than the sunny ones...!
Val Cenis is currently one of the snowier resorts in the French Alps as it catches the 'Retour d'Est' weather systems that spill over from Italy. Aussois across the valley is sunnier for sure, but doesn't benefit from the Retour d'Est like Val C does, so is unlikely to be as snowy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jules123M, The mid-lower slopes can be a little sheltered from the sun at times, but most slopes above 2200 are ok even in dodgy conditions. You always have the benefit of the other resorts in the valley to try as well (Bonneval, Termignon, La Norma, Val Frejus etc)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd ehco @srobbo, on this. The pitch from mid mountain down to village is a little more obscured to sunlight but is also tree shaded so holds any snow well.

The valley there is a fairly open one so doesn't really get significant effects from low sun with mid station upwards being far more open than initial slopes. We've been there, staying at Val Cenis Haute for the last two years (but in march) so had a good chance to get used to the area.
The valley pass will also give you a day in each of the other nearby ski areas if you want it and are served by navette each day, so you can easily move around.
We drove down and visited both Boneval and another (temporarily forgotten the name) which were all good. I'd definitely stay at VC and work round what you've got from there, the snow currently appears to be some of the best in the alps for the alt they've got so it looks a good choice from that point.
I think it's a great valley to visit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy