Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying V Driving

Poster: A snowHead
queen bodecia wrote:
@Layne, the plan is this:

20-30 minutes drive to the airport.
90 minutes at the airport.
100 minutes on the plane.
30 minutes at the airport.
50 minutes drive to destination.

I'll report back how close I get to achieving this.

When I fly getting to the airport and getting through security is a massive time killer. Even if I flew from Luton which is my closest (40 minutes drive) there is the issue of the traffic and the park and ride to deal with - which would mean I would have to at least double the 40 minutes. Alternatively I could get the coach which gets around the park and ride aspect but means I would have to work to the coach companies timetable - which from experience often means I get to the airport far earlier than I really need to. And security is soooo tiresome and often time consuming - though necessary of course.

Other than that though it's all doable for me. I did a weekend in Chamonix flying through Luton to Geneva and would have operated to similar timings to the above. But, and it's a big but there are lot's of different variables when flying and I said invariably the experience is not a pleasant one. Purely based on standard end to end times flying will win.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Layne, I'm flying from EMA, it's 18 miles from my front door and the parking is right outside. Allowing 90 minutes at the airport is ample for checking in luggage and skis and getting through security. I expect I'll still have time for a cuppa and a couple of kindle chapters.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TommyJ wrote:
I guess that whilst it does cost 40-45p a mile to run a car I don't know how cumulative that is - ie how much extra in the long run an extra 1800mile drive a year really costs.

Does it mean you have to have your car serviced more often?

If you get 20,000 miles out of a set of tyres then it's 10% of a set of tyres, but it probably isn't as motorway driving is kind to tyres (chains are not).

Otherwise, it probably makes little if any difference. Is a car with 1800 miles on the clock extra per year worth any less - probably not really.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thing is, there are flights and flights, drives and drives. I drove home alone from the Alps yesterday - 710 miles. Easy and pleasant trip. French motorways very quiet, hazy (because of pollution!) sun, my personal choice of music and audio books. Arrived at Eurotunnel two hours before my booked train and got on the next one free of charge. Even the M20, M25 and A3 were fine (after driving that distance I don't dice it in the outside lane for the sake of going 5 - 10 mph quicker, I sit in the inside lane with the lorries at 50 - 60 mph).

I flew back from Chambery for a week a few weeks ago. Again, all very easy - train home from Southampton airport, which is a few yards from the train station, short walk home. Free parking at the airport.

BUT - it's not always like that, is it? There is no answer to this question!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With those coming systems of cars driving themselves, then you'll soon be able to organise your own car to take you there while you have a nice kip in the back. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski3, Just so long as it remembers to put the snowchains on at the bottom of the hill!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Matt1959, ha ha.

I think Tesla maybe working on the AI argument facility so that the car can offer a credible, demonstratable decision making logic to cover those eventualities. And to fill in forum replies in support of its actions. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rock up to the airport, have a drink, relax and let someone else get you there.

Amount of luggage......if you need more than a suitcase full of stuff for your trip you are over packing.

Unless it's due to the cost of getting a family to a resort I have no idea why anyone would bother driving.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gyro, it can be very useful to have a car in resort - gives you a lot more choice of where to stay, and if you add the cost of renting a car it goes into the equation. Being able to take your own skis etc at no extra cost is also a factor.

Driving can be a perfectly pleasant way of doing it - I enjoyed my drive back yesterday. Eating up the miles on quiet French motorways, stop for a coffee and a pee every two hours. But when my kids were young they hated the idea of driving. We did coach trips several times - was very cheap. The kids moaned a bit but when I suggested they met the additional cost of flying from their savings accounts they soon shut up!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gyro wrote:

Your experience of flying differs greatly from mine. Getting to the airport, getting through security, getting boarded, are anything but relaxing IME.

Gyro wrote:
Amount of luggage......if you need more than a suitcase full of stuff for your trip you are over packing.

Ski's, ski boots, ski poles, sledges, helmets... and if you are going self catering it's easier to take some stuff with you... and if you have children....

Gyro wrote:
Unless it's due to the cost of getting a family to a resort I have no idea why anyone would bother driving.

Two extra days skiing above many TO flying holidays; it's door to door - you pack the car at home, drive - unpack at the other; flexibility at resort side, etc.

As pam among others have said there is no correct answer. It's what works for each trip/group and is always good when it works!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Least Pam W's post was comparing like for like, unlike many in the thread.

Sometimes the airport is rock up, checkin, fly, get bags. Other times it's carnage, delays, get redirected.
Sometimes the road and ferry/tunnel are get in car drive, drive straight on ferry/tunnel, drive, arrive. Other times it's snowmageddon, stuck in traffic, stuck at port/tunnel, get back home at 3am on the Sunday thanks to that extra day, with school/work a few hours later.

I've had all 4 combinations.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Other times it's snowmageddon, stuck in traffic, stuck at port/tunnel, get back home at 3am on the Sunday thanks to that extra day, with school/work a few hours later.

I suppose I am lucky but I do not work on Sunday.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:

Did two trips in my mates Peugeot 205 GTI complete with skis and roofbars. He did all the driving as the insurance was pricey for me.

In the mid-90s I took my 205GTI from Brussels to Tignes and back, solo. Drove back on the Sunday, aaaaaall day. I was at my desk on Monday, but I don't remember if any work got done.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ski3 wrote:
With those coming systems of cars driving themselves, then you'll soon be able to organise your own car to take you there while you have a nice kip in the back. Toofy Grin

Agree this will be a game changer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was meaning 3am Sunday night after a big delay, so Monday morning.
Been there, done that, turned up for work late with a convincing excuse.
snow conditions
any advice on cheapest times to cross channel over the half term period. driving to the alps for a few days skiing open to most timesof travel from south wales , any times any days. is it possible to just turn up at ferry crossing and hope for a crossing with little hassle? thanks any help with the driving experence great
latest report
Quote:

any advice on cheapest times to cross channel over the half term period.

avoid the weekends - but the most important issue is avoiding the worst of the traffic, which will add hours and hours to your journey if you get it wrong. My daughter and two grand-daughters are flying out to Geneva Monday - Friday of her half term week. I'll be out there already and will do the airport transfers. They'll have three full days skiing.

It's an awful long way to drive just for a few days! But with a car you have far more accommodation options (e.g. the Ibis Budget in Sallanches is within an easy drive of a range of resorts, though at half term parking in any of them will be a bit of a hassle. You will find it difficult to get any in-resort accommodation for part of the week.

The fastest way across the Channel is the tunnel. Don't forget to factor in the time difference.
snow conditions
Nobody's mentioned the Eurostar?!
£150 return, travel overnight, extra day on the mountain, unlimited baggage.
Again it will only work for those within reach of St Pancras or Ashford.
snow conditions
So the outbound journey was a shade under 6 hours. Plane landed about 20 mins late and Salzburg airport was very busy so a bit of a wait for luggage and hire car.

Journey home was a more respectable 5 hours 20 mins.
ski holidays
Gyro wrote:

Completely agree, I flew solo last March, yet in two weeks we are driving to Austria, 3 kids [not really kids anymore though] OH & me = no brainer when its bank of mum & dad Laughing NehNeh
snow report
Have done both. Driving can save you money.

Flying is the easy option and gives you more time for the purpose of your holiday.

If luggage weight is an issue for flying you are going on the wrong type of holiday.
snow report
In Alleghe, 5 of us took a taxi to San Pellegrino (best option apparently, not my arrangement but i don't have doubts!). Around 22 minutes each way without any customer care and 125 euro please - highway robbery !
snow conditions
We do a mix of drive / fly, depending on time of year. Xmas - tend to fly as have a shorter break as we don't ski at New Year. Also weather can be pants with short days, so more driving in dark / fog / rain / sleet / snow. Just have to have one big suitcase for Santa stuff. Easter - I love the drive, as it is a longer holiday and it often feels like summer with the longer evenings. Summer - drive, as need the car for days out, road bikes etc. Long weekends with friends we tend to fly. However, will be doing the train in January 2018 as an experiment. Eurostar to Paris and then either straight to Geneva or one change gets us to Cluses.
snow conditions
@Tim Heeney, 25 euros each for a 44 minute round trip doesn't sound like highway robbery to me.
snow report
It simply takes more time and the cost is not that different (if you are smart about booking flights), but definitely gives you more freedom, to drive rather than fly. There is always a massive underestimation of the trues cost of motoring - I have played this game with my brother many time where if you factor in parking, maintenance, depreciation, fuel, accommodation on stopover, insurance and replacement value (often forgotten) flying is almost always on a par or cheaper. So it is flexibility of having a car vs. getting there more quickly in my mind - more flexibility being the main advantage of the car.

Lots of people pointing out how stressful airports are being a good reason to drive. Utter tosh. Example my last trip Edinburgh to Geneva with 4 kids (12, 10, 8 , 6), which was very busy on a peak week Saturday
Valet parking right outside terminal - £92 (booked in advance)
Straight to check-in desk, no queue - Speedy Boarding (I think £8/person) gives access to priority check-in. Did have a small discussion with check-in staff re luggage allowance but resolved and has never happened before
Straight through security (priority security £6/person)
Total time from car arriving to departure lounge under 20 mins
No need to queue at the gate, just sat until Speedy Boarding called
Couple of drinks on plane to relax and start the holiday.

Private transfer was waiting for us in arrivals, to help with luggage (100m walk to taxi)

Private transfer back to Geneva at end of week dropped us directly next to the entrance door closest to EasyJet check-in
Straight to check-in desk, no queue (again speedy boarding)
Straight through security (priority security at CHF8/person)
Total time from taxi arrival to departure lounge 25 mins - there was a small queue at oversized luggage.

Flying can be a completely relaxed and pleasant experience if you want it to be. Compared to heaven knows how many hours cooped up in a car with bored/tired kids it's a no brainer for me.
ski holidays
Quote:

Lots of people pointing out how stressful airports are being a good reason to drive. Utter tosh.

pointless using a good experience to try to disprove this. I've had lots of good experiences too. But I've also been at Heathrow scheduled to get on a 530pm flight with 2 young kids and finally boarded by 1030pm with them really over-tired and upset. By the time we had done flight / luggage / transfer they were wrecked. The'd have slept all that time in the back of a car.
I've also sat for 4 hours on the runway at Gatwick waiting for de-icing equipment - no food and drink and the same 30 secs of BA theme music on loop.
Very recently I had a 6 hour delay at GVA because City was fogbound.

I'm flying out to GVA on Friday. I hope it will be smooth as silk. It is certainly better than driving for a 3 day weekend. But it is not tosh to say airports can be a PITA.
snow report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Lots of people pointing out how stressful airports are being a good reason to drive. Utter tosh.

pointless using a good experience to try to disprove this. I've had lots of good experiences too. But I've also been at Heathrow scheduled to get on a 530pm flight with 2 young kids and finally boarded by 1030pm with them really over-tired and upset. By the time we had done flight / luggage / transfer they were wrecked. The'd have slept all that time in the back of a car.
I've also sat for 4 hours on the runway at Gatwick waiting for de-icing equipment - no food and drink and the same 30 secs of BA theme music on loop.
Very recently I had a 6 hour delay at GVA because City was fogbound.

I'm flying out to GVA on Friday. I hope it will be smooth as silk. It is certainly better than driving for a 3 day weekend. But it is not tosh to say airports can be a PITA.

It was not a unique experience and would have been very different if we had parked a 30 min bus trip from the airport (bags on and off bus), had to wait in regular check in queue (huge and slow moving), then went to regular security queue (even longer). My kids would have been nackered and fed up after all that for sure. My point is we did none of those things which is why it was not tiring or stressful. On average flying is quicker and less effort than driving, delays happen but not frequently enough to make driving easier or quicker.

Airports can be a PITA I agree, my point is they don't have to be. You can load the odds massively in your favour with some simple planning and willingness to invest in choices that reduce the stress/time. Peak times at airports will always generate queues and stress due to the sheer volume of people trying to do the same thing at the same time. It is a choice to accept that (cheapest option) or plan and buy your way around it.

Did you park near the terminal? Did you use priority check-in and priority security? Takes the stress and tiredness element away at least - although delays will happen (as will traffic jams/ bad weather on the roads) you can minimise the stress.
Did you take some water/snacks and some games/some electronics? Keeps kids entertained if there is a delay. Always a good idea to pick some drinks and snacks up in departures just in case.
What sort of transfer did you have? A good private transfer will adapt to delays and at least you are quickly on your way when you arrive.
Of course if the kids are already stressed and tired because they have been made to stand in queue after queue for hours then they will for sure be upset.

There is no way driving is less stressful than flying ESPECIALLY when things go wrong. I would hate to imagine what it is like to be trapped on a snowbound road for hours with kids in the car (as has happened to friends of hours). I get it gives you more flexibility to drive, but it is not more convenient/quicker/less stressful.
ski holidays
@zikomo, Edinburgh is considerably better than many airports. I travel with hand baggage only, pre-book multi-storey or business valet parking (£45 for 17 days in Feb!) which gets me access through the walkway straight to fast track security. Car >>> departures less than 10 mins every time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@zikomo, while I agree your approach is less stressful, all your extras cost more than £400 & you are stuck in the resort with no opertunity to explore other towns if you have a foggy day.
snow conditions
Quote:

Airports can be a PITA I agree, my point is they don't have to be

You're right in everything you say apart from that.

If there are lengthily delays that is nothing you can do about, don't get me wrong, personally I think its better than being stuck in a car, but its not true to suggest its fully in your control, sometimes flights get massively delayed or cancelled, its just bad luck and no amount of preparation can stop that.
snow report
Jonny996 wrote:
@zikomo, while I agree your approach is less stressful, all your extras cost more than £400 & you are stuck in the resort with no opertunity to explore other towns if you have a foggy day.

Yes I agree the extras cost more, it's a choice of balancing he extra cost vs. the stress and time. My only point is there is a choice.
And not sure where you get £400 from:
6 x £8 for speedy boarding outbound = £36
6 x £6 priority security outbound - £36
Sub total = £72 x 2 (same cost fro inbound) = total of £144 excluding parking (which you might have to pay for in resort of you were driving anyway) or £240 including parking.

I absolutely get, however, that this is not an option for everyone so agree (and have said many times) the great advantage of driving is flexibility. I just don't think the advantage in cost is that great and certainly don't think it is less effort and stress to drive than to fly

PS - I know I am lucky, but in fact I am not stuck in one resort. We skied 3 resorts this year as our guides both have cars so can easily manage us and our ski gear for day trips Smile
ski holidays
@zikomo, @Jonny996, Or seeing as how many of us appear to fly from Edinburgh we could charter a private jet! Sorted!!
snow report
@Matt1959, I am game if you are!
snow conditions
@Matt1959, @zikomo, don't jest, I was looking at my easy jet account today, 41 flights booked by me in last 12 months. I am now member of easy jet flight club free of charge.
@zikomo, remember to add cost of private transfer on to your extras as well
snow report
@Jonny996, Impressive. I think that between us my wife & I get into the 30s. We should be more careful to book from just one account.
ski holidays
Just done Cheshire to La Plagne with spouse and four boys in tow.

Travel costs were the usual £175 for the Eurotunnel (though it actually only cost us £7 as we used tesco vouchers), £200 fuel, £53 covered parking for the week, £122 tolls, £70 stay in Ibis at Calais on the return (outbound did through the night driving). £620 for family of 6, £103 per head (excluding benefit of clubcard vouchers), or £452 cash. Can't see getting return flights at half term for that sort of price!

Bonuses - loaded up with essential foods that are daftly expensive in resort (SWMBO actually takes all the food for the week, though I know that seems very parochial, and I rebel against this with at least one daily pain au raisin!), unlimited (ish) luggage options (e.g. sledges), cooked meal defrosting in the roofbox for first night fix (!).

Downsides - can be knackering, jams from Chambery onwards (though to be fair the airport transfers would be stuck in that too), limited choice for a week (think Austria or Italy would be just too far).

For a family of six, pros outweight the cons especially in school holidays, and we're never super-organised enough to get the ridiculous deals on flights.

Each to their own. I'd fly given unlimited financial resources, but sadly that is not the case. Totted up the whole cost of the holiday today, £4,650 for the week (£2k lessons, hire & passes, £2k accommodation, £450 travel, £200 other spends). Nearly £800 per day, or £132 per person per day. Simply couldn't afford to ski if we had to fly everyone out there too!
latest report
I should say in addition to my comment above about 41 flights in last 12 months, I am strongly in the driving camp. I never get to drive anywhere these days & I actually enjoy it
ski holidays
I'm about to repeat my journey this weekend/next. Still aiming for the 5 hour door-to-door record. At the moment the fastest is 5 hours 22 minutes.
ski holidays
I have just done Austria with missus and 3 kids, about 15hrs door to door, would have been 5 adult flights otherwise, renting a car or relying on local transport and transfers. I fly a lot with work and also drive to Bulgaria every year so a half way trip isn't too bad.

To fly to most places you have to allow for 3hrs before you have even got on the plane (depending where you live), approx 2hrs in the air, 1hr on the other side and 1 to 2hrs to get to the location so unto 8hrs and limited luggage.

I am thinking about driving to Tignes next month Smile
snow report
So so many factors.
Norwich now has weekend flights to chambery which is really tempting. I see the op is in norfolk
The strong euro means fuel and tolls are a fair bit higher than last year. Fuel is higher anyway.
Can you get flights with ski carriage.
Car hire is ridiculously cheap in Italy at the moment.treviso is dirt cheap to get to from stansted.
You always spend far more at motorway services and on the ferry than you d think.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy