Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski poles - Atomic Carbon offer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just a heads-up that Sports Direct have Atomic carbon ski poles on offer at present- marked down to £15. Sizes 120 and 125 seem to be out of stock, but they have both shorter and longer ones in stock (just bought a pair) Madeye-Smiley

http://www.sportsdirect.com/atomic-am-carbon-ski-poles-929001?colcode=92900103
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ivorf, Thanks for the 'heads up'
Thanks got a pair to at 130cm - hope i can cut them down.
Hmm, goods are always reduced for a reason...Nearly changed my mind when i thought about their great customer service and staff working conditions, nearly...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wear a mask if sawing through carbon fibre, not nice stuff. Also no idea how they make the poles, but it wouldn't surprise me of the carbon was thicker at the ends, so you may unwittingly saw off a "strong end" and leave the grip attached to a weak bit, or it might be completely fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only thing is that they're only £50 normally. Generally speaking with poles, I find you do 'get what you pay for'... in short because the amount of material in the pole is directly proportionate to the cost. The cheaper ones are kept cheaper by using thinner material which, whilst it helps with weight and cost, then affects the strength of the pole.

Yes I have £100 LEKI poles which causes some people to think I'm a bit of a gear whore, but the fact is that they're a clever shape to make them stronger in the direction they take weight (round poles are silly - they're strong in all planes even though weight is only applied in one), and they contain enough metal that they're robust. I wouldn't buy £50 poles again, I did that once and the only time I ever saw them straight was the day I got them out of the packaging. And that was £50 alu poles, I should think £50 carbon poles would be an even bigger compromise.

Sorry I don't like to be a naysayer. I spend a lot of time buying weight-bearing metal products at work and there is a strong correlation between price paid, strength, and material quality.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well I've bought a pair on a whim, so I'll let you know! Given that I'm currently still using a pair of £20 alu sticks that I did a whole season on and are still straight as an arrow I don't think I'm hard on poles though. I just fancied some carbon ones...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also buying stuff from SportsDirect is a slippery slope. Today it's just some cheap poles, but before you know it you'll be sporting items such as burberry hats, tracksuits, ear piercings and cans of cheap lager.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dp, kinda with you but had a pair of scott wc from 90's - round 'uns that i had for 2 decades... Also have a pair of bent Leki with the aero shape section. I landed on the thin section and it bent quite easily IIRC.
Been poking around recently with a carbon pair of Komp something or other and did cut these down slightly. - handles immersed in v. hot water 5 mins and off they came easily ( bit of a pull really) - very parallel cylindrical section near the handle. Shops do this all the time even with Aluminum poles. It appears handles are just a 'push fit' without adhesive etc.
@t44tomo, On my the other carbon poles, i forgot to use a mask. It was outside and i wasn't overhead of the cut etc - but, thank you i will remember and take precautions.
A mate of mine had a pair of these and was very happy with them.
I'm doubtful if i'll be fully satisfied as the material section as it's quite small - i expect a breakage at some time and quite some resonance feedback on firm surfaces.
I bought these because i like the handle grip more the 4 finger type recesses, i can make a perfect length of 128cm and very cheap for a carbon pair.
@flaming, a whim as you really.
@dp, well, if the price is right and i want a particular Burberry hat etc. I think the original manufacturers are interested in selling product and not some form of controlled distributor outlet only.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tim Heeney wrote:
@dp, kinda with you but had a pair of scott wc from 90's - round 'uns that i had for 2 decades... Also have a pair of bent Leki with the aero shape section. I landed on the thin section and it bent quite easily IIRC.
Been poking around recently with a carbon pair of Komp something or other and did cut these down slightly. - handles immersed in v. hot water 5 mins and off they came easily ( bit of a pull really) - very parallel cylindrical section near the handle. Shops do this all the time even with Aluminum poles. It appears handles are just a 'push fit' without adhesive etc.

With regards to the aero shape section - you're absolutely right, if you land on them, they bend easier than round poles. So yes I suppose round poles are better for dealing with day to day crap, the oval-ish 'aero shape' that Leki use is better for dealing with the stresses they incur in-use, and allows them to improve the strength/weight ratio where 'strength' only takes those in-use stresses into account.

Scott poles from the 90s... willing to bet they're just well made metal poles basically. Old bikes tend to be the same. It's actually a criticism of mine of new gear... every time a manufacturer renews a product they need to justify why the new one is better. Manufacturers will often happily reduce the performance of the product to cut the weight by a disproportionate amount, so that they can advertise the renewed product being lighter. For the common skier, who carts the poles around all day, chucks them in the van at the end of the day, chucks them under the table in the restaurant etc... a few grams lost at the expense of making the pole lest durable is not realistically an improvement!!

Rant over etc... my point remains the same. Amount of material in a pole generally dictates the strength of the pole, and the price. More metal costs money. A pole which doesn't cost much money will often be because it doesn't constitute much material inside.

Quote:

@dp, well, if the price is right and i want a particular Burberry hat etc. I think the original manufacturers are interested in selling product and not some form of controlled distributor outlet only.

I was joking. Harking back to the riots of 2011, there were pictures of SportDirect stores being looted whilst high-end electronics stores next door stood untouched. Sports Direct is the store of choice for the discerning chav!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dp wrote:
For the common skier, who carts the poles around all day, chucks them in the van at the end of the day, chucks them under the table in the restaurant etc..

What's that about under a table ??? Don't think i have ever seen that. Why are your poles inside a restaurant?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
essex wrote:
dp wrote:
For the common skier, who carts the poles around all day, chucks them in the van at the end of the day, chucks them under the table in the restaurant etc..

What's that about under a table ??? Don't think i have ever seen that. Why are your poles inside a restaurant?

Depends where you are. I tend to be OK with 135cm poles but I know a lot of people who've had poles stolen, they're much more likely to be robbed than skis on the basis that (A) other people lose their poles on the mountain more easily and want to get themselves a new pair pronto; and (B) you don't have to worry about the spacings in the binding like you do a pair of skis, if the poles are your size then you're good, and there's a lot less popular pole sizes than BSLs.

Obviously doesn't work in a small cramped mountain restaurant though, where there's not enough space to hang your coat up
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahh OK. Personally i tend to ski up, step out, wack my poles in the ground and head on in 😃
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last season I knew a lot more people who had poles nicked than skis. It happened a few times. Probably some not intentional since to most dozy 1 week a year tourists, any set of poles probably seems legit as theirs.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy