Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet snowboard / ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Clearly I have reaped. However you are unlikely to get away with it according to FrequentFaller who commented earlier and now I shan't risk it.
I am hopefully able to stop others making the same mistake as me.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’ve just returned from Les Arcs and flew easyJet LGW to GVA

I purchased the 20 kg “small” sports equipment baggage for skis and did not pay for any extra hold luggage

I took a Dakine double ski bag and packed skis, helmet and spare clothes inside

My carry on is the largest size allowed by easyJet, in this I packed ski boots and all other ski equipment and clothing, the rational being that if the ski bag is lost i just need to rent a pair of skis

At LGW (North terminal) go to the hold luggage drop off area and print out the luggage tag, secure tag to ski bag and walk to the end (right hand side as you look at the check in area) of the drop off area where you can hand over your ski bag, it will be scanned and put on the luggage belt

My ski bag was not weighed on the way out

Skis in GVA are picked up at the end of the baggage hall

On our return at GVA we went to the easyJet desk where they checked us in and weighed the ski bags, ski bags where tagged by the easyJet staff, we then took them around the corner to the ski bag drop off

Ski pick up at LGW was on the same baggage carousel as regular baggage
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done that before. Now they've increased the hold bag allowance and the dimensions fit my ski bag so I opted for that Plus I'm flying out of Luton.
I should probably have gone with Large sports item. I take two or three sets of skis and have large ski boots.
It does say on there site. If the sports item isn't listed, put it down as hold luggage and ensure its within the wait limit. So all very ambiguous.
However, after speaking to them there adamant that skis go separately.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So...Finally a result. It's all about talking to the member of staff who care enough to accommodate you. Third time lucky.
EasyJet have upgraded me from 26kg hold luggage to large sports equipment . Maximum 32kg bag. I've told them it will contain all my equipment and several skis.
.it' with cost you an extra £10 for large sports equipment £84 Total apposed to small £74. Not bad for the extra allowance just speak to customer service on the phone and request Other large sports equipment. I hope this is helpful
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Armed with my email that said that small sports equipment of skis and boots mean you could check in 2 bags - a ski bag and a boot bag, I checked in at Innsbruck preparing to have to argue the point , but no , nice smile from the check-in agent and directed to put the boot bag on the normal belt then the ski bag to the oversized. (Cant remember if Easyjet weighed the ski bag, BA certainly did, didn't matter as I knew they were all fine.)

Doesnt of course increase the weight you can carry but increased the bags you can pack it in and the volume with two bags rather than one.

Excepting for the fact that Easyjet then lost the ski bag I was quite pleased with the result.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@LeglesWonder, did you have any issues "travelling" with multiple pairs of skis in one ski back for the large sports equipment charge? I potentially want to take 2 x adults skis and 1 x kids skis in one bag with Easyjet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have had no trouble carrying three pairs in one ski bag on the small sports option. They were 1adults 1junior and 1 kids and were under the 20kg limit and no questions asked. Plus a boot bag under that baggage allowance as well!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ster wrote:
I have had no trouble carrying three pairs in one ski bag on the small sports option. They were 1adults 1junior and 1 kids and were under the 20kg limit and no questions asked. Plus a boot bag under that baggage allowance as well!

Excellent cheers, will have to get weighing!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dont forget though that you can still use the pooling aspect so the ski bag can be more than 20kg as long as your TOTAL check-in weight is what you bought and nothing individually weight more than 32 kg.

The large sports allowance is really just another 12kg of allowance you are buying.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ster, yeh good point, £10 for 12kg ain't bad though if I need it!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do check their current rules. But that extra weight is what your handluggage is for!

Good luck.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ster wrote:
Do check their current rules. But that extra weight is what your handluggage is for!

Good luck.

Boots will be in hand luggage Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To carry skis and boots you must pay for skis and boots. Weight must then be within the limits for your group booking. We had 3 cases, 3 sets of skis and boots, 120kg allowance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This letter from Easyjet might help on this thread.... http://bit.ly/2GjIEIs
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just returned from Austria via Easyjet, and again, we just booked luggage only, not sports luggage. It was fine. No questions asked apart from, you booked this as sports luggage, to which we answered, not just standard. That was it. Mate got to check in his ski boots on the way back for free. Saves a few quid for sure.

Noted: we booked in September and since then they've changed the maximum weight allowance I think from 20kg to 15kg, might be a struggle next year.
snow conditions
EJ hold luggage is now 15kg or 23kg and then you can add weight in 3kg increments up to 32kg.
snow report
Can i get some advice, im about to book to fly to geneva using easyjet on the 21st april, i will be taking a dakine low roller bag, which will have everything i need (board, boots, bindings and clothing. The dimensions will be less than the 275cm easyjet restriction. Do i book as normal hold luggage or sports equipment?

Also is the self service bag drop at southend, stansted and geneva (for the return journey).
Thanks
ski holidays
Our 2-person bag with the essentials except helmets and goggles is 27 kg. Not sure if we can pull it off and reserve a large 32kg windsurf board allowance, but use it for snowboards.
We do not want to carry another bag, just this one. Another approach is to add a checked-in hold luggage of 15kg to the bill, but still go with 1 bag.

Any ideas please?
snow conditions
EARNEST,

Why not take a maximum size hand luggage bag each as well? There's no weight limit on hand luggage and they allow a generously sized bag each. 2 of us manage to travel with a (shared) double ski bag and hand luggage each for a 3 week trip, though admit we are happy not to be fashionistas of the après ski scene wink
snow conditions
We can’t put anything heavy from the 27kg bag except thermals, snowboard one piece, socks and undies. I doubt that would be 7kg
ski holidays
@LeglesWonder and @hd,
I've always just checked in my ski bags (both the skinny kind and a ski trolley) as normal hold bags. Never a problem leaving the U.K., once a problem in France (or was it Switzerland?) but I insisted to see the manager on site and so was fine to leave. Toofy Grin
snow report
Does anyone know if in Geneva Easyjet obliges you to use their check-in desk, or do they by now have a hold luggage drop-off as they do at Gatwick (thus by-passing any check-in desk checks and questions?
snow conditions
Does anyone know if in Geneva Easyjet obliges you to use their check-in desk, or do they by now have a hold luggage drop-off as they do at Gatwick (thus by-passing any check-in desk checks and questions Puzzled ?
snow conditions
@chri, April this year Easyjet check in desk at Geneva, no alternative.
snow report
@chri, Last Tuesday still only check in desks for EJ at Geneva.
snow conditions
Bum!
thanks, cad99uk and Peter w. How meticulously did they check the contents of your bags?
latest report
@chri, what are you trying to hide! My last trip was one ski bag with two adult skis and one junior pair which wasn't questioned at GVA
snow conditions
Sorry to resurrect this thread and I'm not sure I'll get an answer but reading the older replies I feel confident I'd be OK doing this....

4 people travelling easyjet from Liverpool to Geneva. All got hold luggage (23Kg, max 275 dims) and carry on. I've just bought some skis and intend to put them in as my hold luggage. Clothes will be pooled in the other bags and boots will go in a case or as hand luggage. Anyone see a problem with this? I guess if they are lost then that's where the issue may come about but hopefully insurance kicks in then.

Thanks.

PS anyone know if Liverpool have the self check in like Manchester does?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I fly EJ a lot, always only book a ski bag and in that goes 2 pairs of skis, skins etc, boots, clothes - everything basically. Helmet in hand luggage. Never been questioned or stopped (other than my avi pack but thats a different issue !) - so maybe 15 flights ?
latest report
@orange, you've booked a ski bag whereas I think @blacksheep, want to book "normal" hold luggage and take skis...
snow report
@blacksheep, Travelled through liverpool for the BB. No self checkin yet. They don't know if or when they might get them.
snow report
Yes, currently just got normal hold luggage as didn't own skis when we booked. Thanks for the info @brianatab,
snow report
@blacksheep, If on the weight limit, leave some room in ski bag, put some heavy items in hand luggage for checkin, then transfer to ski bag before dropping off at oversized baggage. Nobody questions people transfering between bags in the checkin area, especially when busy.

Will still work even if checking in ski bag as normal hold luggage (within dimensions) as it will have to go through oversized anyway.
snow report
Ah yes - have been lucky when I first tried the hold bag trick - they are wise to that. On the machines now you could be lucky as it doesn’t know and all it does is weigh and tag. Then you drop to oversize. Geneva, no chance as you have to speak to a real human being now
snow report
@orange, the human just weighs and tags, you then have to take the bag to oversize, which is often at the other end of the checkin hall. In Geneva, it is round the corner.
Last year after the Eosb, there were 2000+ people trying to to check in for 20 flights at 10 easyjet desks. Nobody was remotely interested in anybody rearranging their luggage.
The security staff are only interested when it goes through their system.
ski holidays
Easyjet regulations are clear that skis have to be booked at sports luggage even if the bag fits in the normal hold baggage size and weight. Some people have got away with taking them as normal hold luggage but no guarantee it will work and may cause stress at the airport arguing it out. I'd try and sweet talk them into switching one of your hold bags for a ski bag.
snow report
Just wanted to update people as may help others. Having originally booked hold luggage of 23Kg I bought some skis and wanted to swap the booking if possible to sports equipment, happy to pay an uplift. EJ wouldn't do this unless it's within 24 hours of your booking.

I decided to chance it and see if they'd take the ski bag as hold luggage, I flew from Liverpool were you have check in desks rather than self service such as at Manchester. This is important as those rely purely on weight...

tried to check the bag in and women wouldn't let me put them in as hold luggage. I argued the point about weight and size but having none of it... so I had to pay £55 to put the skis in the hold. She wanted me to pay £110 for the return journey but I said no thanks, I'll deal with it on the way back.

Way back the skis were questioned but when asked if my only luggage I said yes and they went through, this was an EJ check in desk in Geneva. So seems a bit pot luck.

Next time I'll pay for sports equipment and put boots, clothes and skis in together, along with cabin bag I should be fine for a week. Will cost me a bit more but I save on ski hire and I have my own equipment.
ski holidays
@brianatab, So clever of you to find a way to cheat the system. Your fare and the baggage fees are what you purchased - why do you feel the need to then break the rules under which you made the purchase? If you don't like the baggage polices of EasyJet then fly with another airline. I really dislike the promotion of dishonesty, unwillingness to accept that you are only entitled to what you paid for, and the sense of entitlement that people like you seem to have.

Not as bad as a pervious recommendation to take an empty plastic bag from duty free that you can then stuff with whatever you want to circumvent the one piece of hand baggage rule.

If everyone always behaved as you do nothing would work for anyone.
snow conditions
@zikomo, be fair, he said he was happy to pay for sports equipment but EJ wouldn't let him
latest report
@holidayloverxx, I think @zikomo, was referring to @brianatab, whereas it was @blacksheep who was happy to pay for the swap to sports but was too late.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy