Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenèvre or Grandvalira?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

So recently posted about looking at our second ski trip, whether it's better to go DIY or package. Well we've found a couple of great deals to either Montgenevre and Grandvalira (El Tarter). Our first trip was to L2A and we loved it. By the end of the week and lessons we were happily cruising blues and ventured onto a couple of "soft" reds with our much more experienced friends.

We are aiming to go last week of Jan/first week of Feb. Would you fine people be able to help us chose? Which resort would be best for a couple like us? We are pretty adventurous, so would like to push on with our skiing. We'll be getting lessons in whichever one we end up at. From what I've read, both are pretty much snowsure at that time of year?
We aren't too bothered about mental apres-ski. Just maybe a friendly local bar for the evening.

Would be really interested to hear your opinions!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Grandvalira fits your needs; it's great for progression since it has an extensive range of all but the most difficult pistes, and it makes up for what it lacks at the very top end with a huge range of beginner- and intermediate-level off-piste, which increasingly seems to be regarded as the more natural progression path than a vertiginous black anyway.(*) El Tarter is nice for a couple, and is home to Andorra's best weekend après bar, the Abarset. You'd no doubt also spend a night or so in Soldeu, just up the road, where there's a wider range of bars and restaurants.

I don't know Montgenèvre so can't comment about that, though.

(*) The usual advice for off-piste applies; get safety instruction if you're not clear about how to assess the risks. There have been people killed in Grandvalira just as there have in most other resorts too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with @Pyremaniac, Grandvalira feels your needs perfectly! It's an intermediates paradise! You'll be able to ski all the cruisy blues and there are plenty of nice reds to progress too, plus some tougher reds if you make suitable progress.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pyremaniac, @Handy Turnip, I've heard very good things about the ski area at Grandvalira and how easy it is to venture off to different parts.
From what I've seen on various YouTube videos and reports, it doesn't look overly busy (or everyone is just very spread out)? Well in comparison to some of the French resorts anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fridge03, it's a huge area with well over 200km of piste so you can always fine quiet runs.
Plus it's very popular with beginners and first timers, who tend to stick the same runs, so as an intermediate you'll find it easy to find runs with hardly anyone else on!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Both fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski school in Soldeu and El Tarter are second to none. It is possible to ski from one end of the system to the other on blues alone. You need to look carefully as the piste maps are not that clear but locals will give advice willingly. Some of the reds are cruise blues with the odd short red sections.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grandvalira is hugely under-rated. Feb and March is can get the best powder of any where in Europe. I used to go in March and would always have one day when there was so much snow most of the pistes couldn't open! Sometimes we had a metre come down in 24 hours.

The off piste there is truly epic and barely gets used.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having skied Montgenevre and Grandvalira....my advice is to go for Montgenevre. For second week skiers you will find a tremendous area(more varied in reality than it appears at first glance on the piste maps) that will give you plenty of scenic blues and reds, some challenges when required, and the snow quality is often superb . There is great skiing in linked Claviere and you can even have an expedition into the Milky Way..easy enough to get to Sauze D'Oulx and Sestriere for the adventurous. I find Montgenevre has a nicer overall feel than the Grandvalira. p.s. I do like Grandvalira!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all your opinions everyone!

Not sure they have helped us decide though Laughing

I think whichever we go to, we are very much going to enjoy it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy