Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski for free from three Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Chaps,
When we buy a 6 day lift pass upon arrival in Austria, we normally ski Saturday afternoon from 3pm for free on the lift pass that does not start until Sunday.
Does this still apply on a 3 day lift pass? As we will be going to Saalbach for a short break in the new year.

Many thanks

Zed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Zedster, Welcome to Snowheads.

I believe that all multi-day tickets are valid from 3pm the previous day, but there is nothing on the Saalbach.com website that confirms this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I believe that all multi-day tickets are valid from 3pm the previous day

That is also my understanding.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zedster

I've just asked at the bernkogelbahn ticket office and they will sell you a local area 3 day pass that you can use after 3pm on the day before the first day of the pass.

Enjoy

Keith
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now that's what I love about snowHeads snowHead
Nice one @Keith_b!

Welcome to snowHeads @Zedster snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This is also the case with Salzburger Super Ski and Ski Amadé passes too.
We've had lots of lucky people get a free hour in on their arrival day!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@flangesax, Go to the night skiing in Hinterglemm and ski until 21.00 - so getting a whole 6 hours for free
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Admin, cheers, always a pleasure to give back. Snowheads has helped me a lot.

It's great piste skiing here in Saalbach, lots of fun with very few people around. Bars are quiet, I'm saving that for a trip in March.

I was in Alpendorf/Wagrain and obertauren also this week, same great piste skiing 😎.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@quinton, just enjoyed my free hour and a bit of skiing. Currently in the Goasstal as there's no night skiing tonight!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Actually I'm interested in that too since i plan to stop there on my alps tour this year
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tedi, get the Salzburg pass, allows you to ski a huge area
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Keith b that's great news.
If we get there early enough it's worth buying a half day, but our flight is 08:00 out of Manchester so not much chance of that.

I'm really looking forward to skiing Saalbach again, it's been a while.

Cheers
Zed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Zedster, our 8am from Manchester got us here for about 1.30pm (slight delay taking off). We unpacked, got changed, went for a drink/cake and were skiing by 3pm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammerite Sounds like a plan Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for this thread everyone. Very useful. We're off to Saalbach for 3 nights on 1st March. We're catching the 06.30 from Bristol but arriving in Munich so by the time we get transferred and booked into the hotel it maybe into the afternoon.. in which case I reckon some late lunch in the village then ski from 3pm for free over to Hinterglemm, a few beers in the Goasstal and as much night skiing as we can take before cabs back to Saalbach. Sorted!
snow report
our flights from Glasgow this year have ace times - should get to resort around 12 on the Saturday and leave the following Saturday around 2/3pm. Potentially 8 days on the slopes Very Happy
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
our flights from Glasgow this year have ace times - should get to resort around 12 on the Saturday and leave the following Saturday around 2/3pm. Potentially 8 days on the slopes Very Happy

Mine is similar from Bristol - Salzburg for Bad Hofgastein.

Flight out lands at 09:40 (means it leaves Bristol at 06:35 but I'm used to those times), return flight leaves at 18:15, so I may well get a morning in on the last day, and should get the afternoon of the first day.

That first day afternoon is what makes the biggest difference.
snow report
Quote:

That first day afternoon is what makes the biggest difference.

For those staying in Saalbach, I can highly recommend for that first afternoon (3pm onwards) a blast around the Kohlmais, followed by an apres-ski session, starting at the Bergeralm (happy hour 3.30-4.30pm) and then (following a leisurely ski down piste 52) the apres-ski party at the Hinterhagalm. After that, ski down the nursery slopes, and if you still have the energy, Bauer's Schialm or the Spitzbub or Burgi's Bar. As a first afternoon bonus, that would take some beating! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Or going straight up the Schattberg and over to Hinterglemm for the night skiing (starts on Christmas day) unless your arrival day is a Sunday as it's their night off.
snow conditions
@hammerite, Does night skiing just continue into the evening or does the piste close for a while for preparation and then re-open at a set time?

Thanks
ski holidays
Quote:

For those staying in Saalbach, I can highly recommend for that first afternoon (3pm onwards) a blast around the Kohlmais, followed by an apres-ski session, starting at the Bergeralm (happy hour 3.30-4.30pm) and then (following a leisurely ski down piste 52) the apres-ski party at the Hinterhagalm. After that, ski down the nursery slopes, and if you still have the energy, Bauer's Schialm or the Spitzbub or Burgi's Bar. As a first afternoon bonus, that would take some beating!

Hi Tatman
If we go up Schattberg and down 2B to Vorderglem can we get over to Kohlmais to pick up your apres route down? I'm thinking time here, and how dark it will be on the descent.
ski holidays
Yes. The Schoenleitenbahn runs until 4pm, so you should have plenty of time to ski down 2a/2b, get to the Bergeralm before 4.30, and then ski down. It's helpful to have head torches during December and early January as it gets dark around 5pm, but obviously it gets progressively lighter from then on and later in the season we never need torches. As long as it's still dusk it's easy skiing down piste 52, even early in the season.
ski holidays
@EdYarker, I'll be able to answer this better on Sunday (Sunday is usually night skiing night off, but it seems that it's the opening night of the season). Looking at the running hours of the Ubahn it seems to be continuous - although they might do some piste prep during the day/evening anyway.
snow report
@EdYarker, and @hammerite, I saw the floodlit piste all lit up about a week ago - maybe they opened it for the weekend. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't close for preparation. In the past, we've partied for a while at the Goassstall, and then walked over to do some night skiing at around 6pm.
snow report
Arrived in resort at lunchtime, asked the Crystal rep on the bus if the lift passes worked from 3pm today, he said he didn't think so as he asked last week and was told no.

I didn't believe him so went to the lift pass office and they said yes they do work from 3pm, got on the lifts no problem.

Don't listen to the Crystal reps about this, in fact don't ask them at all, just get out there and enjoy some bonus ski time Very Happy
snow conditions
@DaveMc, That really is disgraceful - presumably all their customers, who aren't clued up, are not told about the 3pm bonus and miss out on a great first afternoon. Although the lifts close at 4.30pm (Kohlmaisgipfelbahn closes the latest), there is the opportunity to stay up the mountain well beyond that by having a few drinks or even a meal on the way down, and of course the lift pass can also be used to go night skiing in Hinterglemm - all of which Crystal guests are presumably not being told.
ski holidays
Possibly a bit cheeky but does anyone have a suggestion of a Ski Hire Shop which might give the first evening (from 3pm) free or discounted? We would need 3 days hire after this and there are 8 of us, so hopefully an independent might be happy to oblige for the custom?
ski holidays
Id expect most shops would only ever charge you for the 3 days. The one I use over in Kirchberg only charged my friends for two days, even though they had the skis for four but were only skiing on two separate days over the four.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, our friend Hansi of "Hansis Best-Price" (next-door but one to Bobby's Pub") will not charge you for those few hours on the first afternoon. He will also give you a welcome schnapps, first-class service and equipment, and a worthwhile discount if you tell him that I recommended him to you.
ski holidays
Thanks once again. That sounds exactly what we are after, although we are based up at Landhaus Gappmeiar up on the other side of the village so maybe a bit of a trek. I guess we could go straight up the Schattberg lift after collection and round to Hinterglemm for night-skiing from there.
ski holidays
@EdYarker, Yes, but the village is quite compact and it's not really much of a walk to any of the lifts. As you say you could go straight up Schattberg, from where you have the choice of heading west to Hinterglemm or east to the Schoenleitenbahn and the Kohlmais with its apres-ski possibilities. Either way taxis are plentiful and will whisk you between Saalbach and Hinterglemm in about 5 minutes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy