Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes le Lac Parking - advice needed!

Loopylu79
Loopylu79
Hi, can anyone offer me some advice re parking for Tignes le Lac. I'm driving out and arriving on 27th Dec in a Land Rover Discovery 4, which is 1.88m in height. I thought I was going to be able to park at the chalet but they have just told me that they can't accommodate vehicles this height and nor can the only available public car park (Lac 2). All other Tignes Lac/Lavachet public car parks appear to be fully booked for this period. Where would be the next best place be to park a vehicle of this height, and perhaps get the bus back to Le Lac?

Thanks! Lucy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You are probably stuck with the open air car parks in Val Claret or 1800 / Les Boisse. Drop your luggage off then bus back. Both the open air and indoor car parks in Val Claret both say full, but there are spaces. Imagine they have sold all the spaces even if they are not occupied.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have just looked at the entrance of the Lac 2 car park on Google Street view

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@45.4704943,6.9084192,3a,82.9y,214.23h,93.29t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s1kWbRqLvOFyNQhHp-j7KJw!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D1kWbRqLvOFyNQhHp-j7KJw%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D42.65395%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

and it is showing 2.2m headroom. I have parked a 2m vehicle in there before but you may only be limited to certain floors. There is free parking in the outside car parks in Tignes 1800 (Les Boisses) and down in Les Brevieres. Les Brevieres is only linked to Boisses by a (free) public chairlift that can be used by pedestrians but only during normal lift opening hours. From Les Boisses you can get a free bus back up to Lac.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The free car park at Le Boisses also has a height-restricting barrier at the entrance - so you'd need to check that out.
ski holidays
 Loopylu79
Loopylu79
Thanks everyone. Can anyone tell me exactly where the car park is in Les Boisses? I'm trying to Street View the car park to see what the height restrictions are, but I'm struggling to find it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Loopylu79,

I park my discovery in lac 2 every summer when we drive up to go swimming .
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Loopylu79, Every car park in Tignes have vans parked in them which are over 1.88m. My car with a roof box is over 1.88m and I have no trouble parking it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I parked my vivaro van in the les boisses car park last year with no issues. The van is 1.97m high, from memory the barrier was a marked as 2.10m but the bar was a little bent and the road underneath potholed so who really knows ..... you'll fit! make sure you pack a shovel though, they don't do a whole lot of clearing snow in that carpark.

I've also successfully parked a van in les breviers car park as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1.88m will be no problem at all, I have parked my Renault Trafic (1.95 or thereabouts) in most of the underground car parks in Tignes. I find it hard to believe that it's an issue at the chalet parking either. 1.88m is only a smidge over 6 feet, so you'd be talking about a parking space that many people couldn't stand up straight in.

A Defender with a safari style rack on the other hand... open air car parks in Val Claret and Les Brevieres are now about the only places I can park (which is annoying when you drive up most days throughout the winter...!)
snow conditions
 Loopylu79
Loopylu79
Thanks so much for all your advice - feel a lot better about it now!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loopylu79 Directions to Tignes 1800 (aka Les Boisses) free parking:
- Cross dam on drive up to resort.
- 1st exit at roundabout, turning immediately left to pass behind the bus shelter.
- Follow road as it bends round to right, passing in front of new apartment blocks.
- Take 1st main right; follow road round as it first bears left and then bears right down the hill.
- Fork left into free car park, which is next to the bottom of the Les Boisses gondola - so, in normal snow cover and lift opening hours, easy access to the gondola and from the piste.
Dan-b is right about the shovel - we once put in a bit of a shift (with about 6 other car park users) to clear a road out of the car park after heavy snow. If it has snowed heavily, it can be a good idea to pop down and clear the car (and maybe the car park if you are unlucky!) a day or two before your departure day. Also, the road back up from the car park is quite steep - so could conceivably need snow chains, though we have always managed with just snow tyres.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@mountainaddict, that car-park is usually completely rammed and overflowing for the whole winter though. Not one to rely on.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Claret outside (Grande Motte) and Le Lac 2 inside parkings still both had space from 24th to 31st when I checked yesterday. Clearance is a tad bit above 2m (sorry not sure, our car is not that high).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Deliver people to chalet. Take self, pack, skis and boots and drive down to Brev. Park in Brev. Jump on lift back to Tignes. On departure, you get one last run after everyone else has finished when you go to pick up the Disco. Sorted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy