Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Single skiing holidays

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. For the first time I am looking to go on a solo ski holiday.

So I was hoping people might be able to recommend who to travel with where the norm would be singles. Looking for France or maybe Austria.

Thanks
Susi
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just do an internet search for solo skiing holidays and see what you like, there are a few, friendship travel are decent, and you may get a single room, solos holidays are a bit more expensive but definately worth a look, and for austria i"d have a look at redpoint holidays.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@compostcorner, I think we need to consider the possibility that @Cinnypony has already done such a search and found snowHeads through it. Hence she is asking for advice here from real actual snow heads.

Welcome to snowHeads @Cinnypony snowHead
That's quite an open question you've asked there: there are many different ways to "go on a solo ski holiday."

Totally solo:
Many hotels have a limited number of single rooms. These tend to be more common in Italy and Austria than France. You have the liberty of total independence but if you're hoping for company, it can be more tricky to meet others in a hotel than in a chalet.
Some chalet operators will be happy to let rooms to a solo in their quieter weeks for little or no extra cost. I've seen snowHeads regulars, Flangesax (Radstadt, Austria) and Snow and Sunshine (La Plagne, France) both make such offers in the past.
There tend to be others in the chalet to chat to, maybe ski with too. Have a look at the snowbuddy and see which resorts have snowHeads already in who are up for meeting up for a ski/drink etc.

Find a ski buddy:
Obviously there are far more options available if you have someone to share a room with, particularly with the main-stream tour-ops. Declare your plans/intentions and put out a shout for someone to come along. I've done this myself in the past, more than once: I found a cheap late deal that required 2 sharing and just started a new topic looking for a roomie. Worked every time!

Start a group:
It's easy on snowHeads to find people who want to go skiing Wink Form a plan and post a new topic in Solos v's Groups suggesting people get involved. While it might seem logical that the most open suggestion
eg. I wanna go skiing anywhere, anytime - who's up for it?
would get the most interest, I'd say that a bit a of a plan
eg. I've found a really nice chalet in resortX for this week. The operator says they'll do it at this price if we fill the whole place. (I've seen this done)
or
I've always wanted to go to ResortY. I'm available this week or that week and I don't want to spend silly money although I'm not looking to slum it either. Anyone interested in getting a little group together?
tends to draw more attention.

Join a ready made group:
There are lots of people who need to go skiing but don't have the right person to go with. So there are a number of groups that look after this need. The best option of these (obviously Wink) is the snowHeads Bashes. Not everyone who comes is a solo but it's kind of irrelevant as many of them are there with friends they met on bashes anyway Laughing Sometimes friends or couples want to go on holiday together but don't ski at the same standard so on a bash, each has people to ski with and they can still meet up for coffee/lunch/aprés.
By the end of the week you'll have met so many people who like skiing as much as you do that frankly, it's unlikely you'll ever be short of a ski buddy again snowHead Fortunately for me, most of these new-found ski-buddies keep coming back to the bashes. If you really want a room to yourself, that's usually available for an extra charge but nobody needs to pay a supplement as you can just book a place in a twin/triple as you choose and I'll room you with someone appropriate or amusing.
All the bashes are in snowEvents, as are a couple of topics with feedback from some of the people who have been on them.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 18-12-16 13:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Solos are good you get a single room but pay more , Singlesport are good you can share or pay more for single room ,
Inside Out do ski coaching holidays on same basis , Coldfusion are another company but have not tried them , the Telegraph ski & snowboard magazine do reader holidays
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes can recommend the Snowhead bashes see snowEvents , you can share or pay extra for a single room
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowxxx wrote:
Coldfusion are another company but have not tried them

I've done several ColdFusion holidays. In my experience, there's ups and downs to this.

Some people go on a 'solos' holiday because they are the only person among their friendship group who can ski, or afford to ski, or take the time to ski. (As I get older, this is me more and more - as my friends get bogged down into mortgages, kids, marriages, messy marriages, romantic holidays to Venice rather than Chamonix with the lads... etc etc). These people are the ones who it's easy to get along with, fun to hang out with and have a laugh with. They're good people to have there.

But then some people go on a 'solos' holiday because they're total sociopaths who nobody in a sane state of mind would consider having in their private chalet. These people can be difficult, abrasive, game playing, and get pleasure out of joining a big group for the week because it's a whole new load of people to create gossip amongst, create rifts between people, and basically get off on the friction. These people are a nightmare and not good people to have there.

And some people go on a 'solos' holiday because they mistake 'solos' for 'singles'. Both male and female, they can be a bit creepy, overly pushy, try a bit too hard etc. I would say that being there 'solo' doesn't even mean you're single - there's people there who are in long term relationships or even married, whose OH doesn't ski.

Fortunately, CF do take reports of the bad customers seriously, and stop them coming back. AND, on the whole the first category makes up about 75-80% of the clientele. But you know how it works, it only takes 1 rotten apple to spoil the basket.

The food is really good, as are the chalets and the transfers. And I liked the hosts (though not everyone did, some people expected a lot more VIP service). But I would say CF is quite a sort of grown up and very much 'holiday' environment. People aren't gagging for first lift or staying out til last lift, and tend to like long leisurely lunches, hour long morning breaks... so I guess that's why Steve's put the business into Chamonix, it gives those people more opportunity to get into town and do the apres thing a bit more extensively. I've kind of switched to SnowHeads bashes, because to me, EOSB seemed a lot more ski-centric. For me it's all about the skiing, I aim for first left every day (but don't always make it!) and stay out til the bitter end, so bashes just seem better. And they're cheaper.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll have you know @dp, snowHeads know how to lunch too! Wait till you get to the Birthday Bash, you'll see Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't skied since my honeymoon in Zermatt in 2009, and before that either had my ex to ski with or other groups of friends. Now I have moved to northern England and will be getting my butt over to to Yadmoss with the next lot of snow, which will be just up the road from my new cottage. But my problem is that all my friends are married, laden with children, don't ski, or are too unreliable to book a holiday with.

Due to an old ski injury, I won't be the last left on the slopes, but can still enjoy my skiing.

I have emailed CF for their Morzine chalet, as have previously been to Chamonix, and my memory is of long queues. I will go and look at the bashes as well.

Thanks

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cinnypony wrote:
I haven't skied since my honeymoon in Zermatt in 2009,
Shocked Too long!
Quote:
and before that either had my ex to ski with or other groups of friends. Now I have moved to northern England and will be getting my butt over to to Yadmoss with the next lot of snow, which will be just up the road from my new cottage. But my problem is that all my friends are married, laden with children, don't ski, or are too unreliable to book a holiday with.
This is not unusual - often, the more enthusiastic snowHead will sign up to a bash and then just tell the less reliable parties where to find the buttons. This way, you don't put your own trip at risk and it's up to them to sign up before it gets full. If they do, fine, you can have them as a roomie, if they don't, you get to post loads of gloatos to show them what they missed Twisted Evil
Quote:

Due to an old ski injury, I won't be the last left on the slopes, but can still enjoy my skiing.
You're not alone: half of us seem to be carrying some sort of injury! Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, way too long! Especially when I used to get 2-3 trips a winter, before I was married. Now it is time to catch up.

So time to dust off my skis, decide whether I dare to try new boots - my old ones date from 1999, and go off and enjoy the snow and some drinks in good company.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2-3 trips/Winter => none... that's grounds for divorce in itself in my book!

If it's catching up on missed ski trips you're after, you're in the right place: snowHeads is exactly the support group you need Wink

In our early days, I recall one of our moderators posting something along the lines "When I discovered snowHeads, I thought of skiing as a once a year luxury but immediately realised that 2 trips was the minimum. This year, I'm feeling a little hard done by that I'm only getting 3 trips in."
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
3 trips? Pffftttt. Where's that Gressoney button, btw?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle wrote:
3 trips? Pffftttt.
...and were you doing 5 trips per season before you found snowHeads?
No, I didn't think so NehNeh

Quote:
Where's that Gressoney button, btw?
Maybe I'll wrap it up and give it to you for Christmas Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="admin"]
Hurtle wrote:

Quote:

Oh, Christmas buttons snowHead snowHead
snow report
adithorp wrote:
admin wrote:

Hurtle wrote:

Oh, Christmas buttons snowHead snowHead

Hurtle wrote:
IT'S BEHIND YOU! Toofy Grin
snow report
Cinnypony wrote:

I have emailed CF for their Morzine chalet, as have previously been to Chamonix, and my memory is of long queues. I will go and look at the bashes as well.

The Morzine chalet is run by a lovely couple so I'm sure it will be good.

Chamonix doesn't have to be bad for queues. I've spent a lot of time there and really the only things which get exceptionally bad for queueing are the cable cars. The gondolas and chairlifts are normally OK except on the super busy tourist weekends but you'll get both of those everywhere.
snow conditions
@admin,
Quote:

Hurtle wrote:
IT'S BEHIND YOU!

Tease! Twisted Evil
latest report
Can recommend HOFNAR in Morzine - just come back from my 5th or 6th trip with them.
snow conditions
Hi
First post here, so hello all.

I'm a solo skier - For the last 11 seasons I have skied Saalbach Hinterglemm in Austria. This is a very large area and has a whole range of accommodation available. I always join the local ski school, this way you get to meet some really interesting people. Both the Saalbach ski schools have a policy whereby the instructor stays with the group all day (no returning to resort for lunch).
I usually book everything independently.

Flights to Salzburg

Then use the resources on saalbach.com to find transfers and hotels.

Happy skiing
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHead s, Yorksboy! Very Happy
snow report
Mrs TT and I live in Saalbach throughout the ski season. A few times in the last few seasons we've been asked for accommodation suggestions by solo skiers or couples - sometimes just for a few days, and, if they sound like the kind of people we would get on with, we've offered them our spare bedroom - i.e. sharing a two bedroomed apartment with us. It's worked out very well - the more the merrier, and so far none of the sociopaths mentioned in dp's post above. In virtually all cases, the solo skiers have become friends and returned in subsequent years (or gone on to buy an apartment of their own).
ski holidays
Hi

I'm skiing Saalbach from the 7th Jan - this year I'm actually staying in Hinterglemm - If anyone want to meet up, then leave a message.

John
snow conditions
@Cinnypony, we came across Friendship Travel when staying in a Mark Warner chalet hotel, once in Les 2 Alpes and again in St Anton, its a mix of single people and those who's partner doesn't ski, they do single rooms and sharing.
ski holidays
not sure why Mark Warner turned into a hyperlink Shocked
latest report
@Yorksboy, pop your details into the snowbuddy so snowHeads know you're about and that they can give you a shout.
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
It's worked out very well - the more the merrier, and so far none of the sociopaths mentioned in dp's post above.

With regards to my 'sociopaths', I don't suppose a spare room offers quite so much opportunity for trouble making as joining a group of 15 other people none of whom have ever met each other before!!!
snow report
Hiya,
We have a great group trip to France 8th - 15th January if you would like to join us? Let me know if you want more details? Or call me on 01753 683990
Cheers Paul
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi
Unfortunately I can't have holiday in January due to work, so I need to wait until February before any holidays.
But thank you for the offer Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy