Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving on short outrigger edges?

Poster: A snowHead
All you need is...the parabolic carving edge, ok!
But do we really need a long ski edge?
No! A short secondary edge can also do the job.

By the way, my name is PHOENIX. While turning, my short “carving blades” carry the
full load of the skier and the centrifugal force, such cutting a deeper groove and

leaving a very clean track.

Unlike a long ski edge, the outrigger edge can carve turns of nearly any radius.
Well, that`s the advantage of a short runner as compared with a long ski edge.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tom! We've missed you Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27 wrote:

Yes indeedy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27 wrote:

And I`ve missed you, Snowheads.
Let me show you some video

http://youtube.com/v/sCIiKCYsXek

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yet more backseat action from Raxski rolling eyes

Got pretty damned close to a couple of bystanders as well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:

Indeed. Looks like could cut down the material cost too by getting rid of everything in front of the boot as it's barely in contact with the snow at all.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sitter wrote:
.....Looks like could cut down the material cost too by getting rid of everything in front of the boot as it's barely in contact with the snow at all.

Yep. Might as just screw the plate to the boot sole Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:

Does look a but tough on the quads.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon wrote:
Sitter wrote:
.....Looks like could cut down the material cost too by getting rid of everything in front of the boot as it's barely in contact with the snow at all.

Yep. Might as just screw the plate to the boot sole Laughing

Its like a snow version of "heelys".
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freeriding?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can we have some video of you going into deep snow offpiste? Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tangowaggon, careful... he's got some... plus some footage of 'steeps' (is the picture featuring the anti-grav cord or was that a different one?)

I've never seen a pair of these on someone in Austria. I also contacted Tom to see if he would like to come and do a demo and let me try out or even blag a pair for some of you lot to try when you come out (mainly out of intrigue).

I just think you have got the whole sales pitch wrong, Tom. Stop marketing these as a replacement for skis and implying that everyne who wears skis is an idiot. These look like really fun toys to play about with down the toboggan runs or for a few hours like a ski bike/scooter/fad/whatever.... That is the market you should be going for!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I believe DB met Tom and tried a pair at some point?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've never seen a pair of these on someone in Austria

Obertauern (that time a few Novembers back that we had a long weekend) is the only place I have seen them being used.

They'd be perfect for me, since I know I ski on my heels Wink

Might take the Salomon Buzz 99's out next time. More edge to use Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tom once let me have a pair to take up to show off at Hemel when we were doing the regular meets up there.
Unfortunately the bindings were really poorly mounted and actually so wobbly that after some discussion we deemed them unsafe and didn't let anyone ride them.
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:

That was my first thought when I saw the video!!
ski holidays
looks bloody unstable to me! back seat looks the safest place, unless you're into face planting. surely at anything like a decent speed these things will wander about like gods know what! rolling eyes
snow report
@Tom from Austria, Ya do realise that Jake Burton did this before you were an itch in yer dad's nut sack? . . . but welcome back Toofy Grin
snow report
admin wrote:
Tom once let me have a pair to take up to show off at Hemel when we were doing the regular meets up there.
Unfortunately the bindings were really poorly mounted and actually so wobbly that after some discussion we deemed them unsafe and didn't let anyone ride them.

Let me apologize for wobbly mounted bindings in 2009, Admin! Aparently we got no proper tools at the exhibition.

Ok, forget all RaxSkis before 2016. This is PHOENIX

Oh, I can remember that a snowhead named DB tested our skis in Austria.
Is he still staying in Vienna? We could ski together and write a new report for you all.
ski holidays
Is that Jordan on the tip? If so, I claim my etcetc
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Is that Jordan on the tip? If so, I claim my etcetc

Jordan? Who is Jordan?

snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Does look a but tough on the quads.

I think that's an understatement, they look like bloody hard work to me.
ski holidays
I think the underlying design principle though @SnoodyMcFlude, is that they're not as hard work as actually learning to ski properly.

During the process of learning to ski, many people have difficulty, at some stage, stopping themselves leaning back.
The main symptom* resulting from this is catching the tails of the skis when trying to turn.
Light bulb moment = get rid of the tails of the skis!

*disregarding the inability to control direction and speed.
latest report
@admin, aah, makes sense. So now you've got rid of the tails the problem of getting them caught up is gone and you only have to deal with being unable to control speed and direction?
latest report
Ok friends, let`s try something new: carving off piste
What? Yeah when you got bored on the groomed piste, just jump over the barrier
and go on carving there.

http://youtube.com/v/bJQ0xanuNCU
Date: Dec 22, place: Stuhleck/Austria, altitude 1,800m, natural snow 0 to 2cm
latest report
@Tom from Austria,

Thats not off piste, hell thats not even crud!!

Ive seen rougher newly groomed pistes rolling eyes Puzzled
snow report
So virtually straight lining a bit of cut up snow immediately adjacent to a low angle piste is "carving off piste".

The world really doesn't need this. You really are an idiot rolling eyes
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
Thats not off piste, hell thats not even crud!
Nor is it carving.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hell why bother with skis at all?
https://video.fbrs1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/15575998_1752609811728289_5855353486144700416_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=e38a626e5f2cf344d71041a00125715a&oe=585E8A6B
ski holidays
@t44tomo, a few years ago I was watching an ESF floodlit demo in C1850. I commented to my mate in loud drunken voice that the four instructors skiing towards us in a raggetty diamond formation looked pretty $hit & that we could do waaay better. T'was only when they got close did I realise that they slalom'ing down on their boot soles without skis Embarassed
snow report
Tom from Austria wrote:
Ok friends, let`s try something new: carving off piste

Our instructor at the EoSB was carving off piste on skinny piste skis and making it look easy (proper off piste as well, not the tracked out crud in your video). Someone asked the guy what he thought about a certain type of ski and his response was along the lines of "it doesn't matter what you have, piste ski, fat ski, park ski...what matters is the foot in the boot". And seeing him come steaming past me in a foot of soft snow I realised what he meant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy