Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Borovets anyone? or Val D? last minute!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at a last minute , my fist time booking alone and first time travelling alone so no one to lean on for experience!

I'm really limited due to travelling alone and most companies not keen on solo skiiers, however I have a couple of option I've norrowed down, Borovets is coming in at a good price currently, and have teed up a good deal for a complete package. With an option to Ski and get some improver coaching (almost 2 weeks experience) or beginner on a board.

The other option that I may have is Val d or Les Arcs with Alpine elements in a catered challet both have some really good prices on over xmas, and if I can talk them out of the single supplement fee it's a real option.. albeit£200 odd more expensive but two days longer.

Aside from the odd day in Scotland the past 2 years, the only alpine trip Ive made previous has been to Oberstorf in march 14 where I learned to ski for a week and absolutely loved it.

Is Boro worth the trip? the advantages aside from costs are that I will gain a bit more improver instruction, and/or learn to board with the option to hire out the other for a bit of a play at a good price.

Whereas Val D or Les Arcs I'll have a bit more time on the snow, and hopefully pick up fairly quickly from where I left off if a bit behind,

There seems to be a fair but of experience here, so I welcome your opinions.

Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is a bit like saying "I'm not sure whether to go with the Aston Martin or the Lada".

Val d'Isere has plenty of skiing for early intermediates so long as you are willing to take a lift back down to the village. The runs to village level are all quite steep, no matter what the piste map might indicate to the contrary. But to be honest, it doesn't sound like you yet have the experience to make the best of the area, which appeals to either for the extensive off-piste or those who like to cover a lot of mileage on the piste network. It isn't a budget destination. Expect to pay a lot for just about everything.

It is a long time since I went to Les Arcs and I don't remember that much about it.

I've never been to Borovets. Sorry but I can't say it is on my bucket list.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lfcrik, have you heard of UCPA? They have centres in various French Alpine resorts, and are very good value - full board, including instruction, lift pass and hire equipment. Not sure how last minute you are aiming for, but you could go to Val Thorens on Saturday for £523 including half time instruction. Return coach travel from London to centre available for an extra £129. Or departing on the 26th, £541 to go to Les Deux Alps, Les Arcs, La Plagne or Serre Chevalier on the same basis.

https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/activities/search-results?SearchActivity=1&Resort=&Month=12&TwinRoomOnly=0
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lfcrik,

If I was in your shoes I'd firstly make sure you get a good deal and know what a good deal is depending on where you choose and the current conditions. Borovets should be cheap even for single person in 3/4* hotel HB (i.e. I'd be trying to get £225-275 for a week including HB, flights, transfers by checking different TOs). If you can something at this price then as a relative beginner and comparing snow conditions this would be your best option (no question). If you decide to go for Val d'Isere or Les Arcs then you'll have more pistes (in Val/Tignes particularly) available but worse snow (I've done a quick check but make sure yourself) and critically probably many more people (although I'm not sure whether Borovets could also get busy during this period). For Val/Les Arcs I'd be looking to find a TO offering 7-9 days at roughly £300 including Chalet board, flights, transfers if you are looking to leave this weekend or potentially up to £400 if you'll be leaving the week after (but with the price dropping between now and then). Check also what deals and prices you'll be able to get for lessons and ski hire (if you'll require both) and add these into the calculation of value between different resorts. For best ski hire prices use Skimium or Skiset. Finally compare the lift pass prices as obviously the one for Borovets will be a lot less then those for Val/Les Arcs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is a bit like saying "I'm not sure whether to go with the Aston Martin or the Lada".

@dogwatch,

Maybe you'd be better also considering the Lada has just had a service with everything working excellent (new snow) whilst the Aston Martin is on it's last legs having not had anything done to it for years (no recent snow). Not so easy to choose then particularly if the point is than you want to travel from a to b (do some skiing)!?!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think the UCPA is a good option for next week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Millom wrote:

@dogwatch,

Maybe you'd be better also considering the Lada has just had a service with everything working excellent (new snow) whilst the Aston Martin is on it's last legs having not had anything done to it for years (no recent snow). Not so easy to choose then particularly if the point is than you want to travel from a to b (do some skiing)!?!

Not too sure how you work that out. http://www.borovets-bg.com/en/page/info/lifts-trails/trails has half the runs closed and there aren't very many at the best of times. Whereas most of Val d'Isere is open. http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

One of the reasons an Espace Killy lift pass costs a small fortune is that they've really invested in snow-making.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Live cam for Borovets (lowest point of ski area):

http://www.bulgaria-hotels.com/borovets-ski-webcam-a-live.html
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go where the snow cover is best....which is probably Val, followed by Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What lifts are open now is not necessarily critical however what the snow conditions are like and therefore what will open for peak weeks is important. Borovets looks to have reasonable conditions down to the bottom pistes (this is not the case for Val or Les Arcs at the moment). The OP is a near beginner skier so why does he need more pistes? Val d'Isere once you can ski a little off-piste I'd agree a perfect destination, currently a pretty good destination for a more mileage hunger OP, but not necessarily the best option in this case.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag,

As I have stated it *looks like* the better snow conditions are actually in Borovets (will make some people unhappy but that's life). Obviously the Glaciers in Val/Tignes will have nice snow but there quite a trek for a near beginner and as I said I'd guess they'll be more people in Val/Tignes which will also affect conditions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sestriere/Montgenevre and some of the South-West Alps ski resorts also look in good relative shape i.e. Risoul, Limone, Mondole, etc. Easiest thing is just to look at the recent webcam at different levels of the ski areas. There aren't many that have fallen snow to the lowest points (Val and Les Arcs do not).

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 15-12-16 11:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hands down Val d'Isere over Borovets. The snow up on the mountain in Val is great at the moment, and it's far quicker to get to it than waiting in a massive queue for the one lift at Borovets.

Yes Val is more expensive if you're eating out at posh restaurants and drinking in the Folie Douce every day, but there are much cheaper snack options and supermarkets.

Why have cotton when you can have silk?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@HoneyBunny,

Maybe if the OP goes to Borovets they can provide some photos/feedback and we can compare to Val over the same period? I don't have a magic wand to predict anymore than you do but I think I'm probably being a little more objective wink. By the way I've been to Val/Tignes a few times and never been to Bulgaria (although my brother's family had a nice trip to Bansko a few years back).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all, this reads similarly to the arguments I've had with my self the last 2 or 3 day!

Towards after 4 days in Bavaria a couple of years ago, I was flying down the big blues and reds (I think) the instructor leading was really holding me back as there were some that couldn't stop fighting with the piste. Unfortunately got a bit overconfident end of day 4 when doing a bit off the piste had a big crash whilst attempting what looked like a jump back onto the piste (turned out to be a pile of soft snow) and fractured a couple of ribs, the final 2 days confidence was shot I still, made it down a black on the final day and was beginning to get back up to speed on blues.

A couple of years on all I've managed with work getting in the way is perhaps 3 days in the Cairngorms and a couple of hours in a snodome. Last year took me about a half a day with a few pointers to find my feet, towards the end of the day I was ok but nowhere near the same standard I thought I could ski to.

Id like to think I could go to the Alps and within a couple days get back up to speed skiing confidently blues and reds again, and up top at val d does look superb... But then again snow cover looks quite good in Bavaria, although as you say only half the runs are open, more tuition I guess wouldn't go amiss, I don't however want to get bored doing the same runs over and over again, that would suck!
ski holidays
@millom I'll happily go and compare both at this period both as a service for you all if you'll fund me for a second week! 😂
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
Millom wrote:

@dogwatch,

Not too sure how you work that out. http://www.borovets-bg.com/en/page/info/lifts-trails/trails has half the runs closed and there aren't very many at the best of times. Whereas most of Val d'Isere is open. http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-d-isere&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr

One of the reasons an Espace Killy lift pass costs a small fortune is that they've really invested in snow-making.

guess half the lifts are closed in Borovets as its not actually officially open yet Laughing Laughing it opened for a long weekend for the students holiday and a few locals are up and running but its fully open this weekend
snow report
Millom wrote:
@HoneyBunny,

Maybe if the OP goes to Borovets they can provide some photos/feedback and we can compare to Val over the same period?

Compare what? It's not just about how much snow has fallen.

It's pointless comparing the two resorts. Borovets has its place and provides a cheap skiing getaway but you really can't start comparing it to French mega-resorts with extensive snowmaking, pistes and lift systems.
latest report
@lfcrik,
Les Arcs is great & probably not as intimidating , or expensive, as Val D.
snow conditions
Millom wrote:
I don't think the UCPA is a good option for next week.

Why not? Genuine question.
snow report
@Gämsbock,

My view would be:

Better late deals elsewhere. Better to arrange travel early not last minute (cheaper and better choice) and the coach travel is not a good option.
snow report
@Millom, I see your point but don't entirely agree, because of the OP being a single traveler and wanting instruction. I would agree if the OP was traveling in a pair, and didn't need instruction. Those late deals generally come with a significant single supplement, and rarely (never?) include the holy trinity of instruction, lift pass and equipment rental. So £250 for flights, transfers and half board catered accommodation sounds like a good deal... till you've added on £200 for lift pass, £50 for equipment rental, £200 for instruction, and however much you spend on lunch... so that's £700 + lunch + single supp. Whereas VT with UCPA and coach travel is £700 all in, no extras. And they've got snow Happy. Yes, of course the coach isn't as convenient as flying, but then it comes down to personal preference and applicable cost/comfort ratio. Having said all that, the OP didn't express any interest in the proposal, so I guess you are right in this instance Very Happy.
ski holidays
Smile I'm not saying it's not applicable ever I'm just saying that something like a possible £450 all in price to Borovets makes more sense to the OP. If I was looking into room shares I'd look at some the Swiss resorts offering cheap or free passes along with the accommodation over a UCPA offer (although the instruction wouldn't be offered). For example a hostel in Davos with free lift pass pre-Christmas or cheap lift pass all year with hostel in St Moritz. If the UCPA offers included flights it would be more interesting or if they offered a more competitive price. At £700 all in for a late deal I'd expect something better than a multi-person room and a coach trip!
snow conditions
@Millom @Gämsbock: The UCPA was a great shout to be honest I'd never heard of them, and I strongly considered it for this weekend, sounds like a great way to experience Val, coach travel not great as I'm driving from the north of scotland near inverness to my home town of Warrington in the morning anyway, ( just an 8 hour drive) flights worked out super cheap, transfers just about available also. Possible shout for future years.

It's like you say once it was all taken into account I was looking at £7-800 before I set for on a piste or got a pint! £100 pound less and I'd have been there!

I've hopefully managed to get a great deal in Borovets, booked in on an on request basis at a hotel there 20-27 Dec, half board, flights, transfers, accom, kit, ski 6x4 hour improver tuition £445, great flight times as well. I'm just hoping the TO contacts me first thing and tells me I'm definitely in!!

I think Ive had some pretty great advice, and it was a good discussion so I'll defintely keep my nose around here, and I will let you know how well I (hopefully) get on!

Worst case scenario if the skiing isn't great or I get bored I'll still develop my skiing over the week, I can try my hand at boarding, play on a skido and sample a few beers! It may not have the same lustre of the Alps but I've definitely spent my money less wisely in the past!

Thanks again snowHead
snow conditions
Take your own toilet paper... Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8
snow conditions
Thanks for that. I haven't laughed as much in ages.Very Happy Very Happy I remember having to use similar toilets in Borovets with a dodgy tummy. A local sat outside charging you the equivalent of 20p to use it. And he used to hand you 2 or 3 sheets of paper which was not nearly enough for me and my dodgy stomach. NehNeh
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads @kforde snowHead
snow report
@lfcrik, so did you go in the end? If so, pls come back and tell us how it went!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@lfcrik, what was it all like in the end?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy