Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there ANY advantage to hiring anything but economy skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I shall look out for some of these atomic bottom rung skis, now i want to take them for a spin and report back.
I did rent some basic looking econo blizzards a few years ago, hideous planks indeed, just no feedback at all, took them back after an hour or so.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dave of the Marmottes summed up this thread the best with his quip "when you can bend reality, the softness of his skis doesn't matter" Laughing Laughing Laughing
No further discussion needed - you know what they say, "don't feed them"...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Well 6.8 miles is over 10k, for which the world record is 26 odd minutes. Your trolling is now too obvious."

Pretty sure OP meant "on skis", not running, but please, don't pass up an opportunity to do him down.

Personally I think he raised an interesting issue - that being, do you get what you pay for from hire shops, but this has been quickly lost in the haste to ridicule him for not accepting that paying more aotomatically equals better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Well 6.8 miles is over 10k, for which the world record is 26 odd minutes. Your trolling is now too obvious."

Pretty sure OP meant "on skis", not running, but please, don't pass up an opportunity to do him down.

Personally I think he raised an interesting issue - that being, do you get what you pay for from hire shops, but this has been quickly lost in the haste to ridicule him for not accepting that paying more aotomatically equals better.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not just hire shops, many shops put high prices on rubbish just to discount it to the right price.

Also in my experience pre booking anything other than the platinum skis does not ensure anything in particular.
If you are in a busy hire shop on changeover day, you pretty much get what you are given.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
emwmarine wrote:
Kowal.Ski wrote:
I did a 6.8 mile run at the start of the day in 20 minutes non-stop - no traversing. If that is considered slow and steady then there are a hell of a lot of slower people out there and to be honest I really don't care if you lot consider it slow. That is "off topic". I have no desire to change the way I ski (or cycle or swim or walk) because I enjoy the way I do all of them.
I may take a peek when I return but I'm not letting you all spoil the rest of my skiing holiday.

Well 6.8 miles is over 10k, for which the world record is 26 odd minutes. Your trolling is now too obvious.

Where did you get that from? I did 3400m back to resort at 1650m last year in just over 20 minutes, It was definitely over 10km. Either I'm the new record holder or you're talking rubbish.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've held back from this thread but been watching its twists and turns. Feels like a completely tangential conversation with people talking past each other

First up, the OP IS being rather irritating - when you ask a question, people bother to reply with some sensible observations and your response is "thanks for that but I'm going to ignore it all and stick with my prejudices without putting them to the test" you are likely to wind people up.

But otherwise I think we sometimes forget that there are loads of people who enjoy skiing on skiing holidays who don't post on skiing websites and aren't particularly interested in improving their skiing or finding the optimal gear for their needs. Cruising round the pistes in much the same way as they always have is just fine for them.

If you are in that camp, you are not very interested in skiing off piste and you are content using largely pivoted turns to have an enjoyable day out in the mountains then do better skis really offer you much? Something soft, smooth and damp that won't require you to be dynamic or get snatchy if you skid it when it would prefer to be carved is probably ideal and very much what is offered by basic rental equipment. It all depends what you want.

I don't think the OP is a troll, he's just got no real ambition to improve his skiing. Which is completely his prerogative.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote:

I don't think the OP is a troll, he's just got no real ambition to improve his skiing. Which is completely his prerogative.

I actually agree with this although there is something about the persistence with the rhetoric: "I've only ever drunk tap water. It is perfectly suited to my refreshment needs I can't imagine that any other beverage would be better" and "Just to confirm my view I haven't drunk another beverage but I have drunk some more water and it's still perfect" which comes across as willful trolling.

My involvement has not been intended to be mean and nasty but because I genuinely believe a guy of his stated capabilities - he's clocking a fair mileage everyday so can't be a slow slouch nor too technically deficient would only benefit from trying a few more flavours.

Of course in that the road to madness lies because you then start searching for the ski which gives you the most fun in any condition. Spoiler - most skis are fun if you can find the sweetspot and what they've been designed for but skis that will slarve are more fun.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I just find it odd that he is so unadventurous having raised the question himself.

That he asked the question in the first place suggests he is intrigued. Dozens of people have told him to give it a go. Yet he hasn't. The reluctance to spend the price of a couple of bottles of wine on trying a more expensive ski, just to try it, I find surprising.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Question - how important to a ski is the quality of service?

Personally I think its vital

All rental skis, regardless of model, are serviced by the same people on the same machines.

As a result of poor servicing I've skied on top of the range skies that perform dreadfully and would rather have been on a beginner/intermediate ski that was less demanding.

if the service level is high then a decent skier will be able to enjoy the characteristics of a particular ski - if not high then entry level skis will suit fine.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Claude B, I did misread his post. he was talking about walking and cycling and then said he went for a run of x miles in y minutes. I took that to be a run not a ski.

If you read through his posts then many people will think it is a fairly clever fun windup possibly aimed at bring the worst ski snobbery out of people.

itcould be that he's serious and just likes asking for advice and ignoring it.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@emwmarine, no worries, so I'm not a world record holder? 😉

A friend here owns a ski shop, not the one he has used. They do a bargain basement internet price and admit the skis are pretty rubbish.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy