Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra - General Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Finally reactivated my account after a couple of dormant years.

The missus & I are heading out to spend a few months living in Barcelona, and I'm told it's dead easy to get to the slopes in Andorra from there.

I've never been to Andorra, having spent most of my hill time either in Switzerland or in Tahoe in the States.

So general advice (anything really: resorts, runs, hotels, restaurants, bars, etc) from experienced Andorra folks would be great, also pings from people who are going to be around and who might fancy meeting up for a day on the hill or a beer afterwards - I imagine Anna & I will be up in the mountains most weekends at least.

Cheers,

Ben
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's about a 3hr journey from Barcelona to Andorra - you can even jump on a Novatel bus at Barcelona, and do it both cheaply and leisurely.

I've been to Soldeu in Grandvaliria a couple of times, and it's a fantastic place to ski. An intermediates paradise! Over 250km of runs, good snow record (opened early this year), loads of blues and reds.

Of the 3 main Grandvaliria resorts..
El-tarter (1710m) - quieter and more family orientated
Soldeu (1800m) - good bars and restaurants, decent apres, more aimed at couples and older groups
Pas de la Casa (2100m) - younger party town
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep your eye on the Pyrenees thread in the Snow Reports section here on sH. (It's a bit quiet at the moment, since the season hasn't really got going yet, but it'll pick up a bit soon.)

There are three areas in Andorra: Grandvalira in the eastern valley, and Pal-Arinsal and Arcalís in the northern valley. Multi-day passes which cover both of the northern resorts are sold under the Vallnord name. You should try all three areas. The best apres-ski is in the Abarset DJ bar by the main carpark of the El Tarter sector of Grandvalira, although you won't find much else in that village; Soldeu has more to offer overall (though even there, it would be criminal not to visit the Abarset anyway on a Thur/Fri/Sat.. it's 15mins walk or a 3min public bus journey away from Soldeu).

If you don't have transport then the other obvious places to visit are La Molina (by train) and Masella (by bus). You can buy a pass which covers both of them (called Alp2500) since they are lift-linked. Unfortunately, however, the bus and train packages only include one or the other, since the two resorts don't play all that nicely together (long story...) Personally I think Masella is much the better of these two, although the runs down from the common peak into La Molina are good, and often when I go by car I'll buy the joint pass just to be able to ski those in addition to Masella.

If you have a car - or hire one - then there are lots of resorts accessible in roughly the same time as it takes to go to Andorra. They range from tiny to medium-size, with the notable exception of Baqueira-Beret which is about the same size as Grandvalira in terms of area, and has some of the best skiing in the Pyrenees. Indeed, there's always seems to be a bit of rivalry between the supporters of Grandvalira, Baqueira, and a couple of other resorts in the French and western Spanish Pyrenees.

So plenty to discover!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although Grandvalira get's a lot of the headlines, I'd keep an eye on the snow and make sure you fit a trip into Arcalis at some point. Small ski station but when you get good snow it's awesome. Couple of really enjoyable long red runs and some great off piste options. (conditions permitting) I personally found Arinsal the most limited of the three Vallnord resorts (Pal, Arinsal, Arcalis) but all offer a good day out. I'd recommend a hire car as then you can bounce between resorts etc if needed.

Hotel wise we stayed in the Diana Parc in Arinsal last year, if you phone them up and look for quiet weekends you can get fantastic deals (compared to the French/Austrian resorts I typically ski in) at a really nice hotel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, Arinsal is a nothing place although the village life is fun. You'd be getting the lift over Pal if based there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a bit further west is Bacqueire Beret. Regarded by many as the best ski resort in the world. But keep it quiet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spent a couple or 3 weeks in Arinsal many years ago. Was a great place for beginners, very long easy slope (one of) with cable car over to Pal - a bit like a small Austrian resort from memory, run-wise, and many more runs. Free ski bus along main road also.
Good memories then of cheap steaks and beer; don't really do booking or nightlife. Accommodation was bit spit and sawdust basic, but they had English news TV which you can never get in Austria (I'm a saddo, aren't I?)
It used to be cheap, lots of booze and younger partying folk generally wherever you went in the main resorts.
Keep wanting to go back to the Pas/ET/Sold area, heard good things from experienced skiers, enough to occupy them for several days in the 3+ valley area) but can never find accommodation for just 2 of us at a reasonable price.
The long transfer was always a bind (with TO) and a very early start for the return flight, plus once a hairy coach arrival over a mountain pass in heavy snow (we always had to go in via Toulouse; joy!)
Enjoy if you go Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy