Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In desperate need of some super warm mitts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Why, @Stecleary84, would a very specific glove/pole system allow for a greater range of choice?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I do wonder at the number of people claiming to have Reynauds compared to just getting cold hands, as the incidence rate is about 4%. Anyone banging on about just warm gloves or just keeping your core warm probably hasn't got it or seen it. I don't have Reynauds but having seen a friend's fingers that did, her palm looked like a normal hand but her fingers were white like a cadaver. I've frozen my hands before and have suffered my fair share of hot aches (screaming barfies for the yanks on here) multiple times on long Scottish belays but this was totally different. It's obvious when you see it why teabags won't work and why one of the posters above needs the heating to get to her fingers.

I'm not claiming those on her don't have Reynauds but on winter climbing and skiing forums the subject seems to come up a lot more than one might imagine.

I spent six months with one of my fingers swollen - literally - twice its size and completely immobilised at the joints. The skin rapidly stretched and cracked off, and the tears stayed open and bled for months. I was in and out of the GP for weeks, who eventually sent me to A&E when I didn't respond to treatment, who sent me to a consultant rheumatologist when they couldn't find a cause either, who sent me for tests and "formally" diagnosed me with Raynaud's & early onset arthritis (I am in my twenties). I've since had it happen a few times to other fingers to a lesser degree, and during the winter my fingers lose sensation and go white, yellow or purple when they get cold. One of my toes loses ALL feeling in the tip for the entire winter - I don't get sensation back until summer. Completely numb. Are you a rheumatologist @galpinos? Why do you even care if you think we're all self diagnosing or making it up for - well I don't know what possible reason. Most of the suggestions above are all relevant and helpful and answer the OP's question. For now, warm mitts is what keeps it out of my hands - nothing else is necessary.

Of course it's going to come up more on winter climbing & skiing forums - it's cold climates that aggravate the condition.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@moseyp, very interesting that a. Good gloves work for you and b. The. Effect on your toe is semi permanent.

T.o.h. Is temporary, thankfully, but no amount of insulation helps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@moseyp, well said. I was also wondering about that "banging on about just warm gloves" which I presume was directed toward all the other poster's that did offer a measured and informative view of their own decisions.
I do know more than one person so affected and their experiences are fairly different in how they try to avoid getting into the effects they so obviously don't want.
That is a characteristic of being affected as far as I understand. Each person tries their own method in allowing themselves to participate in activities which they'd prefer not to give up.

The original poster specifically requests better insulated protection for their hands, that's their own judgment. As they've not mentioned other methods of heating themselves, I feel it's not unrealistic to talk about circulation and core temperature management if that may be their only form of maintaining a certain level, below which they run into trouble. That's their call.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynnecha wrote:
I don't have any specific problems, but my Hestra leather mits (with separate thumb) have been life changing.

I also have these. One of the best things I ever bought for skiing/boarding.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Whilst I don't know much about heated stuff; in terms of 'passive' products, I have only ever favoured one supplier, which is Buffalo.

I don't think there is anywhere on earth you can go which is so cold that Buffalo don't offer a product to keep you warm there.

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mitts/

They also charge reasonably, IMO
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By the way received these
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/941866
now and they are the real deal - big down gauntlets (cuffs come halfway up forearm). Put them on and you can feel your hands warming up very quickly. To be honest they are a bit bulky to wear for skiing but if you suffer with poor circulation and the weather is cold then I think you might put up with that,
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mogsy23, background info here: Imported some heated liners from Power in Motion from Canada. 3 heating levels, 12v system delivered either through battery packs in each glove or through a 'wired' up 'Stickman' wiring harness system.

Even the minimum heat system was very ample for me in ski mitts. Infact, too ample and i decided not to use them anymore.

I should sell them really...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy