Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In desperate need of some super warm mitts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Just a little background, I've suffer with Raynaud's syndrome and consequently get really bad with cold hands. It can make things pretty miserable at times, I was out in Austria recently and despite the rest of my body being fine but I just couldn't feel my hands.

What I'm looking for are some super warm mitts and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? My requirements are 1 - Super warm 2 - As long as I can hold a ski pole then I'm not worried by dexterity 3 - I want the liner to be a mitt too, not one of the ones that is like a glove/clam inside a mitt liner.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciatted.

J
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've the same problem, I generally find that i'm ok with most leather mitts and inners though. I've not had to find anything specific other than that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some relatively cheap mitts and chemical handwarmers (at about 30-40p/pair) will beat anything else in my experience.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mogsy23,

Are you sure it's Raynaud's? My wife suffers and has been formally diagnosed - it is not just that her hands are cold and numb but also very painful when they begin to warm up.

The reason I ask is that as far as we can determine, in her case, you don't get enough benefit from warm gloves, because the problem is not just cold hands, but a shutting down of the peripheral circulation. So there's not adequate heat coming from your body to warm up your fingers no matter how good the gloves are. To be clear, good gloves do not work well enough for her, external help is required.

In her case the only solution has been heated liners (or gloves but liners allow greater choice on the gloves themselves).

So she uses these https://www.blazewear.com/heated-gloves/x1-liners.html inside Hestra mitts. The key here is that unlike many cheaper heated glove solutions the element run all the way around the fingers. Heating the palm would not be adequate.

Good luck!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Decathlon silk glove liners:
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-100-adult-silk-black-id_8229542.html

Mountain Equipment Randonee Mitt:
http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/randonne-mitt

Toasty!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
How about these:

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/941866

proper Himalayan-style down mitts at a big discount

I have ordered a pair - should arrive today.

My wife has also been diagnosed with Raynaud's and our boy is showing real signs (pain on warming). We've had some success with electric heated gloves, mitts with chemical handwarmers. I saw these and thought they would be good to carry in my pack for emergency warm ups or for very bleak conditions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spend over £100 on something from Black Diamond, or any proper mountaineering brand and you shouldn't have any issues. Expensive, but simple, and forget the chemical hand warmers. Just get a proper glove that is actually warm in the first place.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OliC wrote:
Spend over £100 on something from Black Diamond, or any proper mountaineering brand and you shouldn't have any issues. Expensive, but simple, and forget the chemical hand warmers. Just get a proper glove that is actually warm in the first place.

Something like these

https://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-alti-mitts.html

I've used these (or their predecessors) in below -40 and had nice toasty hands with no frostbite (others I was with who had other mitts did though) - although those SportPursuit mitts look pretty decent assuming someone can vouch for them
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kinco 901 mittens
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife has the same condition. I got her some Hestra Mittens last year, together with Hestra liners and a sachet of hand warmer in each mitten (between the liner and the mitten) - to my utter disbelief and for the first time ever, she was complaining of her hands being too hot on our January trip last season!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So much for warm gloves but as I said above,

"you don't get enough benefit from warm gloves, because the problem is not just cold hands, but a shutting down of the peripheral circulation"

If it's Raynaud's and it's bad enough you need active heating.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As a general rule, I have found that really warm gloves/mitts don't come cheap, unless you are really lucky and stumble across a bargain.

For extra heat, look at Mitts or Lobster Claw.

Brands like Hestra: https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/35161-army-leather-extreme-mitt-man-woman/560020/

Black Diamond: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/black-diamond-guide-finger-gloves/?aid=86b4f865f53afd6ec6da933143423de2&pid=10004&cpkey=_mt1qJzTDatl_zr43gxV8zlVoLiFM1Qs3P3pJ4rdPjg&_$ja=tsid:60797|cid:254044867|agid:25884866587|tid:aud-153485732227:pla-146877957187|crid:104604046507|nw:g|rnd:13049261347313414754|dvc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CImS_qSst9ACFfEK0wod8H4BZQ

Extra heat can come from glove liners, made from a variety of materials like Silk, Merino wool and Polartec fleece.

Failing that, there is heated gloves and hand warmers.

My daughter has Raynauds and successfully uses Hestra Army Leather Heli ski Mitts. https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/alpine-pro/30571-army-leather-heli-ski-man-woman-mitt/100/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
So she uses these https://www.blazewear.com/heated-gloves/x1-liners.html inside Hestra mitts. The key here is that unlike many cheaper heated glove solutions the element run all the way around the fingers. Heating the palm would not be adequate.
Another recommendation for this solution, it's insanely warm Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If it's Raynaud's and it's bad enough you need active heating.

Yes - we find if either of them get cold hands there is no real way of getting them warm again without active heating
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've also got Raynaulds, and use the Hestra Army mitts, thin silk liners and a 2nd slightly thicker pair of liners underneath. Was laughed at for this on the PSB this week, when it was above freezing in the afternoons, but still had some symptoms. When it gets cold, also add the blazewear heated gloves - but have had problems as they usually run out of power by lunchtime….

Still haven't managed to control symptoms in my feet - heated boots aren't enough...
ski holidays
I have Raynaud's too, and arthritis in several of my fingers and I swear by Hestra mitts (I've the Seth Morrison lobster claw)
latest report
Duplicate post

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 12-12-16 16:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I don't have any specific problems, but my Hestra leather mits (with separate thumb) have been life changing.
snow conditions
I don't believe I'm affected in any way by Raynauds but certainly aware that within different activities I can get a huge variance of temperature in my hands from which they recover fairly easily given the right conditions.
One of our long term ski group has effectively given up in not wanting to face the pain it gives her, which certainly gave me more insight to it.
Interestingly though, it's not specifically any type of glove that I've learnt will help me (with what I consider normal circulation) more specifically how I layer the main parts of my body and limbs.
I skied a big bumps piste and then got on the chair to return for another go (the old corblanche lift in GM) and while on there it was snowing heavily. My legs, more specifically my salopettes, were just steaming all the way up, quite comically. It was then I realised just how much heat I was loosing from there, and not from my jacket.
Guess it stands to reason that my legs, having just been used that much would be the hottest part of me, just never thought of it like that before.
Anyway, since that watershed moment I've made much more use of leg insulation layers, and bending off too much heat by jacket venting if I've reached critical.
From this I've just had a better balance of both foot and hand temperature while skiing or doing other things like riding motorcycles. In fact I find I can use less gloveage in many circumstances without any compromise. It's my preference to use really thin leather palmed gloves for many activities which this allows me to do.

Perhaps a step too far but maybe a little scientific approach may assist in looking at yourself individually. If you have one of those infra red remote thermometers, it would tell you if you're loosing much more heat via your legs and perhaps inform you as to layering up, improving your own efficency.

Just another thought, you can get golf mitts to go over your own gloves, they make a difference to heat loss if you're just standing around, not necessarily to ski in but to help keep the heat from hand warmers from depleting too rapidly when for example you're sitting on a long lift.
latest report
@mogsy23, out of interest have you got boot heaters? they will change your life
ski holidays
@k, you can get heated socks. I'll find a reference but not till next week.
snow report
Essential to keep the core warm, whether you suffer from Reynaud's or not. Any hint of those major organs becoming cold and the blood supply to the extremities will head to the centre.
snow report
Another vote for Blazewear. This, or a similar product, is the only sure answer. End of problem.
snow conditions
@under a new name, is that the Lenz socks? No personal experience but I recall Ross Hewitt blogging about them recently.
snow conditions
@Inboard, I don't think so but I'm not sure and won't be back in the shop till Saturday.
snow report
@under a new name, not heard of them - ta in advance!
ski holidays
@jedster, not good for your wife but worse for your lad. How annoying.
latest report
@k, Therm-ic do heated socks:

http://www.therm-ic.com/Powersocks/Powersocks.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@k, You can also get spare batteries for Blazewear liners - we carry the spare set and change as needed.
snow report
@Hells Bells, it's interesting, I think, how well your body prioritises these things.

I have no trouble making heat and spend a large amount of time in winter wearing shorts. What surprised me most was that my body having generated that heat from skiing, just how much of it was escaping straight from my legs, so making the assumption it would never be available to other parts. It's not as if they were poor salopettes. They were almost staying dry as the snow fell on them.
snow report
@Tom Doc, the wife has three sets of Blazewear batteries... if they had to run full heat she'd need them...
latest report
@rob@rar, them's one of the brands the boys stock.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@rob@rar, them's one of the brands the boys stock.
I have never used the socks, although I do have a couple of pairs of the Therm-ic boot heaters.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Essential to keep the core warm, whether you suffer from Reynaud's or not. Any hint of those major organs becoming cold and the blood supply to the extremities will head to the centre.

Yes I found my hands kept warmer when I skied with an extra layer on, even though my body didn't particularly feel cold with fewer layers.
snow conditions
Quote:

@jedster, not good for your wife but worse for your lad. How annoying.

It is a bit. He definitely doesn't suffer as badly as my wife - if we can keep his hands dry and sensibly covered then he is OK but being a teenage boy he does do things like go to a hockey match and forget his gloves rolling eyes He needs to carry epipens for a serious allergy and remembering them seems to consume all the spare capacity of a 14 year old. Actually he is pretty responsible and as fit as a butcher's dog those two things apart so shouldn't grumble at all.
ski holidays
I think if you have specific clinical issues then you're likely to need more than I have experience of.

Otherwise, I have found these extremely good in very cold conditions (squeaky snow, minus 30 any units):
https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/himalayan-mitt-nf0a2vhn

This season I'm about to switch to these:
http://rab.equipment/us/accessories-equipment/gloves/alliance-mitt
... so unproven as yet but a little more compact than the above. These don't meet the OP's requirement, although they may be better for photography which is why I'm trying them.

You can use serious "expedition" down gloves plus shells for them. You will look like you're wearing boxing gloves but you can get any level of insulation in a waterproof-enough package.

I don't personally like Hestra which I find are too bling.

Rich people usually have electrical stuff I think, although tea-bags are still popular. If you're actively heating you can maybe get by with less insulation.
ski holidays
@philwig, but in fairness, you are typically heli* or cat skiing so hopping in and out of a nice warm vehicle between runs.

*definition of "rich people" if I ever heard one, snigger, snigger

The good lady only insists on Hestra because they are one of the few that you can find with gauntlets big enough to accommodate the batteries for her liners.

I like Hestra because the ones I have have removable liners so I can wash them a few times a season when they start to pong. I would love to find washable boot liners... Shocked

Tea bags don't work, at least, not for her, because they don't reach her fingers.

I would note that she has been diagnosed formally.
ski holidays
I do wonder at the number of people claiming to have Reynauds compared to just getting cold hands, as the incidence rate is about 4%. Anyone banging on about just warm gloves or just keeping your core warm probably hasn't got it or seen it. I don't have Reynauds but having seen a friend's fingers that did, her palm looked like a normal hand but her fingers were white like a cadaver. I've frozen my hands before and have suffered my fair share of hot aches (screaming barfies for the yanks on here) multiple times on long Scottish belays but this was totally different. It's obvious when you see it why teabags won't work and why one of the posters above needs the heating to get to her fingers.

I'm not claiming those on her don't have Reynauds but on winter climbing and skiing forums the subject seems to come up a lot more than one might imagine.
latest report
@galpinos, my wife reacts washing salad on a hot summer's day if the water is not hot (which is apparently not good for the salad)...

But otherwise I think you make a good point.
snow report
Would the likes of Leki Poles that you clip on offer a better range of mitts?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy