Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rosignol Soul 7

Poster: A snowHead
The blade on my old Fischer ski has chipped and on my last holiday, I was getting a chatter when skiing on hard compact snow, it was not very enjoyable at all, which was a shame as I liked them.
I was offered a set of new Rosignol Soul 7 for £320 with Axial 120 DUAL bindings for £330 + delivery, I am told this is an excellent price and I have read some very good reviews about these skis.
There is one caveat though they are 188cm, my old skis were 168cm, I am concerned they may be to long.
I am 6ft and 194 llbs, I am a decent intermediate skier who sticks to the pistes.
Are these ski going to be any good for me or can anyone suggest anything better, similar price looking for decent stability and hard compact snow on piste.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied and really enjoyed the Soul 7s but they are not a pure piste ski. Am sure others can give you a better recommendation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They're definitely not too long, but they are not a piste ski and being light and pretty soft don't excel on hard snow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get a piste ski with options for off the side. EG Head Titans
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above, the soul 7 is great fun but not a piste ski. It struggles on ice and hardpack. I wouldn't think 188 is too long for you as they ski short, but they will chatter at speed on groomers.

That said, when there is fresh snow (even a few centimeters) they are a great confidence booster and are very playful.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not going to be as nice as everyone else. Soul7 is pretty great ski for off piste, especially light powder, but it absolutely suck on piste. I mean I'm sure it can be used for easy cruising around, but once you are used to ski race skis, there's simply no way to ski Soul 7 anywhere near this. There's no way to normally finish single turn with at least a bit more power put into turn, and you can forget any kind of decent carv turn on hardpack.
On the other side, I really like them for off piste. I agree they are far from perfect even there, but I have been able to ski anything without issue with them, and I'm pretty sure I ski way more extreme things that most of people do.
So if you are "sticking to pistes" get something what's made for piste, and goes way under 100mm, preferably around 80mm or even less, not 108mm wide off piste ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@scouseman,

I have Soul 7s with touring bindings on (Marker F12) as my one ski quiver. To answer your first question, I have the 180cms (to help touring) and regret not getting the 188s so no, they’d be the right length. I’m 6ft and 13.5st.

As to whether they are the right ski for you? I think mine are great fun on and off piste but won’t rail on very hardpack or ice. I can get a decent carve on them (the have a small turn radius so you can get some nice turns in) on a nicely groomed piste and they do well in the spring snow/slush. They are, however, light and don’t have the same pop/rebound you might be used to on your Fischers (assuming they are a decent piste ski) when releasing the pressure in a carved turn.

I quit doing seasons a while ago and am currently just doing one week a year on which I want to tour, ski powder/off-piste but also pootle round the piste with the family. They do all that.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
primoz wrote:
I'm not going to be as nice as everyone else. Soul7 is pretty great ski for off piste, especially light powder, but it absolutely suck on piste. I mean I'm sure it can be used for easy cruising around, but once you are used to ski race skis, there's simply no way to ski Soul 7 anywhere near this.

Hmm, I disagree to an extent. Yes they are nothing like a race ski and are very definitely not what you want if you like high performance carving (even on softer snow, let alone hardpack) - they're light and soft and will chatter. However they are still LOTS of fun on piste as long as you ski them in the style they were designed for - short radius surfy slashy playful turns, bouncing and jumping in crud/bumps rather than railing through.

Different, as opposed to just bad, in my opinion.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@scouseman, not too long for you. But as others have said they do not perform that well on piste. I tried a pair last season for the day and on harder packed piste they clattered about so I would go with the other suggestions being offered by others
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for your replies sorry for the delay replying, I am having problems with my account.
I ski the alps most years, went to St Anton last year in January and most days the pistes were solid, this year going to Val Thorens early Feb but obviously trying to predict the conditions is impossible, that said I do stick to the pistes maybe I should find a firmer ski, been looking at the Blizzard Brahma or Head iSupershape Magnum both seems a much more suited to the pistes, I will also check out the Head Titans but there probably a bit beyond my budget.

Cheers
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@scouseman, I love my Brahma's for what you describe and they're good enough for a little play at the sides, I'd probably class them as a 70\30 ski... maybe even 60\40. One thing for certain is that they rip on piste and are tons of fun. If you're after anything wider, I'd look at the Cham 2.0 97s, I only demoed them in a dome, but they seem like they're a good compromise for a 1 ski quiver and would definitely be in my short list.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scouseman wrote:
Thanks for your replies sorry for the delay replying, I am having problems with my account.
I ski the alps most years, went to St Anton last year in January and most days the pistes were solid, this year going to Val Thorens early Feb but obviously trying to predict the conditions is impossible, that said I do stick to the pistes maybe I should find a firmer ski, been looking at the Blizzard Brahma or Head iSupershape Magnum both seems a much more suited to the pistes, I will also check out the Head Titans but there probably a bit beyond my budget.

Cheers

Yes, forget the soul 7's then if you stick to the piste, there are hundreds better suited skis and the Magnum's will fit the bill nicely
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@scouseman, Thumbs up for the Brahma (though almost as far from the Soul 7 as you can get and still be all-mountain IMV).

However... you should probably try them out first. I would also class myself as intermediate and really enjoy the way they ski but they aren't forgiving.

(That said, I am only a serial renter of the same model every year and haven't yet stumped up to buy anything).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The problem is I can't see the point really testing any skis, there is an indoor slope very local to me, but you only have to sneeze and you are at the bottom, won't really tell me anything.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scouseman wrote:
The problem is I can't see the point really testing any skis, there is an indoor slope very local to me, but you only have to sneeze and you are at the bottom, won't really tell me anything.

Which slope? I'd say that most indoor slopes will give you a good idea of how a ski performs on a piste of hard poor snow. you can get enough turns in, if not to busy. As you're after a piste ski it would seem ideal?
snow report
In the end, I decided to go for a set of 2017 Blizzard Bahama skis, as I got them for what looked a bargain @ £320 inc bindings
latest report
scouseman wrote:
In the end, I decided to go for a set of 2017 Blizzard Bahama skis, as I got them for what looked a bargain @ £320 inc bindings

Great choice at a great price.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
scouseman wrote:

Great choice at a great price.

+1
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy