Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drones

Poster: A snowHead
Themasterpiece wrote:
Drones with cameras were recently banned in Sweden http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37761872

Betcha that is just the start. It's only a matter of time before an aircraft is felled by a drone and once that happens the days of unlicensed operator will be over.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's like anything really that requires a respectable attitude in avoiding raising risk to others using a common domain.

I've been in a ski lift que towards which somebody came really fast expecting to do a spectacular stop, lost a bit of control, too close to bail out, caught his tips on somebody else's skis then crashed into the que, skittering about a dozen people.

Nobody appreciates idiotic behavior, you'll always end up with legislation if people through their demands of freedom go on to compromise other people that have no intention of accepting that level of risk.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was at my local slope when they were filming, and the guys couldn't impress how lethal they were. They were CAA certified - I didn't even know it was a thing. Anyway this was the outcome:

https://www.caa.co.uk/unmannedaircraft/

http://youtube.com/v/4tOLSMXDwzQ

O.K. I confess my daughters in it Embarassed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski3 wrote:
It's like anything really that requires a respectable attitude in avoiding raising risk to others using a common domain.

Well yes. But there's already been one collision between a drone and an aircraft landing at Heathrow and several other reported near misses. I've been buzzed when windsurfing by a pair of drone pilots who didn't know or didn't care about rules and windsurfers travel fast enough that a face-full of drone is going to hurt. Betcha regulation is coming.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wonder how many drone flyers have 3rd party insurance.

I bet less than 1%

I fly unpowered radio controlled gliders which have the potential to cause serious injury (or worse) and have BMFA insurance cover up to £25M, (costing £33)

If I was flying something with 4 or more spinning knives i'd be seriously concerned
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dogwatch wrote:
... Betcha regulation is coming.

EASA regulation is on its way. The very understandable concerns of the authorities has in turn caused potential problems for perfectly resposible, insured fliers of model aircraft. Fortunately, the EASA has been sympathetic, and the Brtish Model Flying Association has been working with the CAA to present a British perspective.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK it's Ben Nevis and not the alps but this film created quite a storm in the climbing/hill walking scene when it was released, both positive and negative...

http://youtube.com/v/UPwA6p1r9uY

The guy is one of Britain's most respected climbing guides and does have his drone licence but I belive it was filmed on a phantom which is a top end consumer product rather than a professional device. I'm posting it in reply to those who say it's not worth it for the quality of footage.

I fly a drone and personally wouldn't dream of taking it on holiday because of the hassle...however I would love to take on the project and if was in a position to attempt it I probably would. Here's hoping I get the chance Backcountry here in Britain!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@manicpb, @manicpb, ....I brought up the question of production values and I still think this is the case ... there's a lot of terrible footage and a small amount of high quality footage. And captured at what risk? In the hands of professionals and conscientious operators there is genuine advantage of drones over helicopters and light aircraft. And of course there always had been a fine tradition of high quality amateur photography in the U.K. But using a Leica M does not put other people at risk. Moving around resort with a drone following you is a different matter entirely. It's bad enough having 14 year olds thrashing around on their boards on the hill, without them being followed under the chair by their drone...that's the gist of comment on this thread.

Note1: technophobe? Nope - love Apple
Note2: old git? Yes - but love new kit and new technique
Note 3: hate film? No, love film, that's why production values are important
Note 4: hate 14 year old boarders? Only when they smash into me or my kids.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
manicpb wrote:
The guy is one of Britain's most respected climbing guides

Being pedantic, he's holds the Mountaineering Instructor Certificate (MIC), he’s not a British Mountain Guide (BMG/IFMGA).

Back on topic, @gravity-slave expressed my feelings; I love them and hate them. Like Rob’s footage of Ben Nevis above, some of the output is fantastic. It gives non-professional film makers so many more options and gets away from static shots and POV monotony and has been the backbone of some really good amateur output.

However, I find them a real nuisance. I’ve had a couple buzz me when climbing in the Peak District and find the constant buzzing very obtrusive. They can be potentially very dangerous in the wrong hands.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Sounds like folk aren't too keen on drones then...

Whatever gave you that idea? Toofy Grin

No kidding, we were on holiday in Portugal last summer & someone was constantly buzzing the beach, wish I'd had access to an air rifle wink

More to the point, I go to the mountains to ski...whats it all about & don't get me started on selfie sticks Shocked rolling eyes

IMO people should concentrate on 'safe'yet enjoyable ski-ing - is that not enough?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
galpinos wrote:
manicpb wrote:

Being pedantic, he's holds the Mountaineering Instructor Certificate (MIC), he’s not a British Mountain Guide (BMG/IFMGA).

I hold my hands up to misinformation there. Blush

valais2, agree with most you say. The poor directing and production are not due to the drones though. Didn't watch it until after I posted it (watched it a few times when originally it got posted around) and noticed at the end he states recorded on a go pro 4. They are used in all sorts of action sports videos and even live during moto gp events. So I still stand by the video quality has the potential to be used in amateur videos right upto quite high budget projects (although if the budget is there a more professional rig would probably be used!).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
manicpb wrote:
OK it's Ben Nevis and not the alps but this film created quite a storm in the climbing/hill walking scene when it was released, both positive and negative...

Brilliant video, excellent technology. Ignore the haters,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
manicpb wrote:
galpinos wrote:
manicpb wrote:

I hold my hands up to misinformation there. Blush

Just had to Google his qualifications to clarify things for myself!

He is an International Mountain Leader, so he can't guide on glaciers or permanent snow. But can guide anywhere at high altitude, but as Britain has no "permanent snow" he can take you anywhere in any conditions (sun, rain or snow).
He's also a past secretary of the AMI (The Association of Mountaineering Instructors) and is team chairman of the Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team.

So he holds a bit more than just a MIC...but your right he is not a British Mountain Guide. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
manicpb wrote:

http://youtube.com/v/UPwA6p1r9uY

The guy is one of Britain's most respected climbing guides and does have his drone licence but I belive it was filmed on a phantom which is a top end consumer product rather than a professional device. I'm posting it in reply to those who say it's not worth it for the quality of footage.

I fly a drone and personally wouldn't dream of taking it on holiday because of the hassle...however I would love to take on the project and if was in a position to attempt it I probably would. Here's hoping I get the chance Backcountry here in Britain!

Yes before drones that film wouldn't have been made, or would have been different with maybe not such majestic views or done with a helicopter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
valais2 wrote:
... Note1: technophobe? Nope - love Apple ...

I think that argument works the opposite way to the way you think it does. Closed platforms with locked down technology are easier to support, but generally have to follow the curve rather than lead it. Take for example apple's recent "invention" of wireless headsets, which were a significant surprise to those of us who've been using them for some time on other platforms.

As an owner of a drone or two and the odd weapon, I think you'll find taking a drone down is quite hard with low powered stuff. But feel free to try. Just don't tell the SWAT team I said you should do it.
snow report
Decent camera stabilisers provide a good alternative to drones, what not give that a go. But then you need a friend to film it of course! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@philwig, taking down drones is hard enough with amazon_delivery_drones_with_shotguns/" target="_blank" class="postlink">high-power stuff. You're more likely to take one out with a laptop or trained attack eagle
snow report
galpinos wrote:
However, I find them a real nuisance. I’ve had a couple buzz me when climbing in the Peak District and find the constant buzzing very obtrusive. They can be potentially very dangerous in the wrong hands.

Gosh. It's been some years since I went mountaineering. I can think of many situations where a drone buzzing near me would have been hugely distracting, and potentially lethal. Glad they were not around in my day.
snow conditions
Just in case my earlier post is misinterpreted - I would tell anyone with a 'hobbyist' drone not to take it skiing. The environment is just too hostile and unpredictable. In addition, in my 5 years of ownership, I've had two software glitches where it's just stopped and dropped to the ground. You are not going to get Planet Earth II class video footage from a cheap drone and by cheap I mean anything less than a £5K rig and remote control. I'm comfortable with things like the Verbier Professional drone service and the Pro drone coverage of the Verbier High Five because they're well, professional and heavily insured etc. Certainly, I don't like some of the tedious media hysteria about drones - I live near a small airport and we get model helicopter / 'plane / glider incidents from time to time but of course, these are never reported in the press. And obviously, as an owner, I am not against responsible use, as I think they can be a great mechanism to get original shots. The problem will be when a workable 'follow me' drone finally does appear and people's expectations of their software isn't matched by reality.
snow report
This famous snowboarder seemed to think there was a big future in drones and actually created/designed one to follow him. Called the Hexo+. I've no idea if it's any good...

Footage from earlier this year:

http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/snow/stories/1331785819675/fwt-finals-xtreme-verbier-xavier-de-le-rue-pov-and-drone

Older article:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/hexo-plus-autonomous-flying-camera

His page with tips on how to use his drone in the mountains:

https://hexoplus.com/blog/xavier-de-le-rue-use-hexo-mountains

(sorry link overload!)
snow conditions
@Tris, ....interesting but note earlier post about wilderness use - the notes about Jordan Manley in particular. What people genuinely are concerned about is risk to others by amateur use of drones in areas of ski installations and other mountain users - this is the main concern, not wilderness use - the latter can be annoying and as others have said, occasionally dangerous, like the helicopter passes of north faces which occurred 20 years ago. And rather in the way that two small boats on a huge area of sea always seem to be on a collision course, isolated people in big landscapes seem to have a magnetic effect on drones.

But the key thing is this - stalker drones locked into following skiers and boarders in piste areas has been discussed by unthinking people - and scenarios such as '...I tried to remember but forgot I was going under a chairlift ...' and ' ... how would I know that cheap lithium ion batteries would fail in minus 10 after 8 minutes ...' would seem a real and current danger.
ski holidays
Drones are like guns, in most instances they are safe in professional hands but................

@Tris, The fact that the link includes Red Bull says it all. Of course the social media savvy sports stars are going to be all over it as it gives them the edge over their rivals where life and profit is measured in views and clicks. Having been a professional aviator for over 30 years theses things should not be in the hands of amateurs, most amateurs with a simple gopro on a stick are a menace on the slopes. A trick snowboarder should stick to snowboarding instead of twittering about an environment on which he is not qualified to speak.

Luckily they will take up most of a persons hold baggage allowance so we shouldn't see that many (in the hands of Brits) on the slopes.

Oh and as for Amazon today with their 13 minute delivery across a field in Cambridgeshire, great headline grabber but from a safety point of view a complete non starter for use across the UK.
snow report
@chocksaway,...spot on

And ....rogue drone at 1:14 .... step away from the drone....step away from the drone....

http://youtube.com/v/dqYi7abHacc

and before anyone asks - it's Svalbard - Spitsbergen ....
ski holidays
Sorry guys - I wan't saying I agreed with the use of drones in a ski resort or anywhere around people really. It was just to add some more info to the discussion.

More than likely the vast majority of people buying the aforementioned drone are not going to be taking it anywhere near the 'wilderness' and will instead be hoping it will film them straying slightly off piste down a red run in Meribel.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy