Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I am trying to decide between K2 amp charger(172cm), Salomon x drive 80 ti(170cm or 177cm) and Rossignol Experience 80 HD(176cm). k2 charger is 100 euro more expensive than other two.
I am also buying atomic redster pro 130 with skis.

I am 19 years old, 1.79m tall, weight 64kg. I have been skiing for around 12 years, but only for a week once every year. I would call myself a pretty good skier(all things considered), mostly on-piste, fast, aggressive skier.

Looking for a ski to ski mostly on piste, that goes well through bad conditions (crud, slush, end day bumps, etc.), so my once a year chance to ski wouldn't be ruined:D
On paper, K2 amp charger looks like a good choice, but I am afraid that it will perform bad on anything else than perfectly groomed snow. Salomon looks like a good all-rounder.

What would you suggest?

btw, to this point I have always rented skis with boots.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here is what I think...but it's from reading specs and reviews.

From your description above, the K2 is probably closer to what you want, as it is much more damp than the other two (which would fall into the lighter, more playful category). It will thrive on speed, but harder work when going slowly.

Of the other two, I think the Salomon will feel a little more damp than the Rossi....but both of these make life easy for intermediates/advanced, whereas the K2 is more for advanced/expert.

Another ski you might consider is the Blizzard Latigo: http://www.ekosport.co.uk/blizzard-latigo-17-p-9-6541.html?gclid=CNHAo5LH6tACFSQz0wodEqkAeA
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tip 1, forget the Skis and buy boots first (properly fitted not off the net) and rent skis if you can't afford both just yet - Its a whole new world of amazing having your own boots Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PaulC1984 wrote:
Tip 1, forget the Skis and buy boots first (properly fitted not off the net) and rent skis if you can't afford both just yet - Its a whole new world of amazing having your own boots Happy

Definitely properly fitted boots first; then skis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Choosing skis off the web is something I think is a dumb idea. Really. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive. You wouldn't buy a suit without trying it on. You wouldn't buy a house without a viewing. So why on earth would you buy a pair of skis solely because the internet says they're good?

You need to try out lots of pairs of skis, on consecutive days in the same area. This way, your judgement will not be clouded by technique, conditions, mood etc. You will find out what you like in terms of width, stiffness, weight, etc etc - then you can choose something to fit.

But what would be even dumber is choosing boots off the web. Your single criteria is going to be - they look good. The unfortunate truth is your feet don't care less about what the boots look like or what the internet says about them. The only way to choose boots is to wear them. I think when I got my last pair I tried literally 7 or 8 pairs in the shop and they were the only pair I liked. Oddly, they also had the lowest stiffness written on them of the options (110) but were definitely firmer than some of the 130s I tried out. So you really can't judge boots off the label.

For me it's not just about getting things fitted professionally. It's also about the opportunity to try them out properly. Everything is individual, the reason there are so many skis and boots and bindings out there is because everyone likes something slightly different. My 'piste' skis are the last thing I would have ever bought having seen them on the web alone, they were published as all-mountain and were obsolete by the time I bought them. But I skied them for 2 days in Chamonix and had such a great time that when I got home I rang every ski shop in the country trying to track down a pair. In the Octobertest just gone I tried out a pair of the skis I had looked at on the web... and despite their 'suitability' for me, I just hated them. They felt like they were made of soggy cardboard. Likewise my powder skis - new for this season - came from the EOSB ski test. Looking at them I swore that they were a bit too hardcore-backcountry for me and I'd start with something easier... but I took a few sets of well-reviewed skis around the same off-piste circuit and they were by far the best performers of the lot.

Seriously, go to shops, try stuff out in real life, buy what works for you - not what works for the online retailer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Choosing skis off the web is something I think is a dumb idea. Really. You wouldn't buy a car without a test drive. You wouldn't buy a suit without trying it on. You wouldn't buy a house without a viewing. So why on earth would you buy a pair of skis solely because the internet says they're good?

You need to try out lots of pairs of skis, on consecutive days in the same area. This way, your judgement will not be clouded by technique, conditions, mood etc. You will find out what you like in terms of width, stiffness, weight, etc etc - then you can choose something to fit.

But what would be even dumber is choosing boots off the web. Your single criteria is going to be - they look good. The unfortunate truth is your feet don't care less about what the boots look like or what the internet says about them. The only way to choose boots is to wear them. I think when I got my last pair I tried literally 7 or 8 pairs in the shop and they were the only pair I liked. Oddly, they also had the lowest stiffness written on them of the options (110) but were definitely firmer than some of the 130s I tried out. So you really can't judge boots off the label.

For me it's not just about getting things fitted professionally. It's also about the opportunity to try them out properly. Everything is individual, the reason there are so many skis and boots and bindings out there is because everyone likes something slightly different. My 'piste' skis are the last thing I would have ever bought having seen them on the web alone, they were published as all-mountain and were obsolete by the time I bought them. But I skied them for 2 days in Chamonix and had such a great time that when I got home I rang every ski shop in the country trying to track down a pair. In the Octobertest just gone I tried out a pair of the skis I had looked at on the web... and despite their 'suitability' for me, I just hated them. They felt like they were made of soggy cardboard. Likewise my powder skis - new for this season - came from the EoSB ski test. Looking at them I swore that they were a bit too hardcore-backcountry for me and I'd start with something easier... but I took a few sets of well-reviewed skis around the same off-piste circuit and they were by far the best performers of the lot.

Seriously, go to shops, try stuff out in real life, buy what works for you - not what works for the online retailer.

I do understand you perfectly, but, where I live, I can get my foot length measured at best. Boot choice is mediocre at best(rossignol alltrack 100, nordica dobermann pro 100 and 1 terrible salomon model was my size from all the shops I could find in my city, but dobermanns felt quite well). So i found atomic redster pro 130 at extremely reasonable price and I guess I have to go blind. I could have them fitted a bit at the resort, but buying new boots there would really set me back. I might be able to test skis at the resort at the expense of short skiing I have.
Thanks for your help, you are absolutely right, I guess I have to find a way to have my boots properly fitted, just do not know how...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dom47, where do you live?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sj1608 Vilnius, Lithuania
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,
I've got K2 charger, ski for 10 weeks a year around Tarentaise and found them a reliable and fun pair of skis all conditions through the seasons but they are definitely only on piste skis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi,
I've got K2 charger, ski for 10 weeks a year around Tarentaise and found them a reliable and fun pair of skis all conditions through the seasons but they are definitely only on piste skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dom47 wrote:

I do understand you perfectly, but, where I live, I can get my foot length measured at best. Boot choice is mediocre at best(rossignol alltrack 100, nordica dobermann pro 100 and 1 terrible salomon model was my size from all the shops I could find in my city, but dobermanns felt quite well). So i found atomic redster pro 130 at extremely reasonable price and I guess I have to go blind. I could have them fitted a bit at the resort, but buying new boots there would really set me back. I might be able to test skis at the resort at the expense of short skiing I have.
Thanks for your help, you are absolutely right, I guess I have to find a way to have my boots properly fitted, just do not know how...

Regarding Boots.

If you can't get them properly fitted where you live, then get them fitted in Resort....but get them fitted. If money is tight, leave the skis until you gather up the funds (the logic for owning your own skis for a week or two a year, is a bit dubious...and I say that as someone who does).

Regarding Skis

In an ideal world, I agree with dp...but if you are not constantly in the Alps and skiing many weeks a year, I think it is quite possible to buy skis (blind) that you will be happy with....though it does take lots of research/reviews/feedback from forums, to make an informed choice.

Though saying all that, if you have narrowed down your choice to a couple of models and can find a shop that sells both, they should let you try them for free, if you buy them. It shouldn't eat into your ski time, as you can change them over in the evening, after you have finished skiing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy