Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystals 'whizzkids'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any experience of this?

Have booked my wee-un in to this in claviere for a week.

She's 4 but has had 4x private lessons at xscape and can use the poma and link turns just about.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like she should be fine. No direct experience but did similar ish with mine aged 4,6 & 9 many moons ago. Basically morning and afternoon ski school with a supervised 2hr lunch which was indoors in a nice hotel so they got good food and warmed Up. It meant we could drop them off and then concentrate on teaching ourselves to ski. It worked well and we did I see them occasionally in the day to say hi to make sure they were fine. That was in Arosa CH.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jnr went a few times with them when he was younger. First time when he was 6. He always seemed to enjoy himself. When we dropped him off in the morning he'd ask what the afternoon activities were and then decide whether he wanted us to collect him at lunch (to ski with us) or whether he wanted to stay in the club. If it was snow related he'd stay in the club, if it was craft related he'd get us to collect him!

He moaned a couple of times about the ski instructors (usually if they were miserable or strict) but that wasn't Crystal's fault.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@v1cky24, we used them a few times in Flaine at the now closed Le Totem, it was a good value for money hotel on club board. The hotel was in need of refreshing, but as we spend very little time in the rooms it was fine, and I expect it's the same for the current offerings. The whizz kids staff were great, with a few of the same staff returning each year. If you ask them before going they will advise you on which of the ski schools will take your daughter for lessons at that age, as others have mentioned most kids prefer playing in the snow having had a couple of hours lessons at that age.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My two-penneth (for what it's worth): My 2 kids, 4&6 at the time did the private lessons at Xscape and we decided not to book anything in resort. My 4yo son had a crisis of confidence at the top on the first day which for the first hour I did not deal with very well for purely selfish reasons. I took stock and listened to his reasoning then spent a couple of days with him skiing between my legs, building his confidence. That was followed by him spending a day at arms length holding onto my poles, again building confidence. Then came the lightbulb moment for him when he realised he could do it and enjoyed it much more with the freedom to pick his own routes rolling eyes

My daughter took to it like a duck to water and has never looked back.

Fast forward 2 years and she stills gets down anything we put in front of her without fuss, but at her own comfortable speed. That's great as her Mum is pretty much the same.

The boy however Shocked has improved beyond all recognition and has, dare I say, too much confidence and skis very quickly whilst being in control. The problem came last spring in Soll. Every time I stopped for a breather he was on my shoulder but not ready for a rest. I found myself struggling to keep up with a 6yo!! (30y skiing but seriously unfit). I've since lost a serious amount of weight and got fitter and continue to do both.

The point I'm trying to make is that I could not ever consider taking my kids skiing and not actually ski with them. It is one of the best gifts you can can give a child; the opportunity to learn valuable life skills at such an early age. For me the most rewarding part of this is following them and being part of that journey every step of the way. Even if that means sacrificing the quantity and quality of my skiing because that's what you do for your kids. I'm so proud of the fact that my 2 are gonna be amazing skiers (far better than I have ever been) and will have far more opportunity than I ever had as a result.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@KennyEverett, Our reason was that we felt that Jnr needed proper instruction - I think all children do. He skied with us when he wanted to in the afternooons in those early days. As he got older he went on lessons in the morning (or for 3 whole days when in Austria, and skied with us the rest of the time).

He's now 15 and still has lessons regularly when in resort - not every trip but probably 3-6 days a year. He race trains a couple of times a week in a fridge all year round, yet if I ask his coach if there is anything we should do on holiday the coach usually says "get him some lessons." Mainly I think so that he's still working on technique, but partly so that he's not having to ski with a couple of old farts all week!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh don't get me wrong. I know the value of lessons and I'm sure I could benefit from some myself despite being able to ski pretty much anything, albeit somewhat untidily. If I thought for a minute that my kids would enjoy the lessons then I wouldn't hesitate to book them. But speaking to them I know that at this age they would rather spend time with us. Every child is different and therefore it's a case of "horses for courses".

My daughter happens to be very good on the flute and she looks forward to her lessons because she knows they make her better. At some point in time she will say to me that a ski lesson is in order to take to that next level. Believe me I ask them regularly if they'd like more lessons. Until then I savour every single moment, lift, turn, fall, lunch etc. because it's skiing, it's been my passion for a long time and they have followed my lead, as has their Mum. Life is good Razz
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ kenny If you enjoy skiing together, why not get a private instructor for a couple of hours for 2 or 3 mornings? Bets of both worlds, they will help sort out out the self taught bad habits, take the kids to the next level, us you still get to ski together.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very simple answer. We love skiing together and paying for an instructor would only make our holiday more expensive whilst not really enhancing it much. My requirements in terms of instruction are way different to the rest of the family. My wife (to be) is not interested, she is happy to potter about. Kids just want to be with us. I adore spending time with them all and to do it on a mountain makes it extra special.

The day will come when the kids want to stretch themselves beyond what I can do with them and at that point I will gladly invest in that. Until then I will savour every minute with them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all.

I don't think I'd dare take her out of lessons just yet... she's a bit fearless but not that in control yet Shocked

She can about link turns but lacks concentration. I fear it would end badly and my hair is already turning grey from my stressful job Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have a great time. I would be very interested to hear about Claviere.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@v1cky24, we used Crystal a couple of times and it worked well. Kids are now 16 and 13 and are comfortable skiing which means we can ski together. I would suggest keeping them in ski school for as many years possible as it does make a difference although we used a private instructor for the two of them for a couple of days in the later years as this proved better value
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy