Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A14 Cambridgeshire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Travelling on the A14 yesterday, I noted that the road from Huntingdon to Cambridge will be closed from 8pm to 6am on Friday 16th Dec.

If anyone is driving to the snow from up North, I suggest you stay on the A1 to the M25.

(I know this is UK and not France but don't want others to suffer as they didn't realise the road was shut).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@GaryCantley, Sound advice, but I would say that the difference between the traveling on the A14 on a Friday and it being closed is fairly minimal Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's likely to be well signposted on the A1. True though the A14 between Huntingdon and Cambridge is f'ing awful much of the time.

It will be more of a problem getting to Stansted from A1 north.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, got caught out by that the other week, will be fetching daughter back from Uni that evening, so will need to find a way to the A1, or get there early enough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure what's happening to the traffic in Cambridge generally, but I'd avoid the whole area for the whole of the month, to judge by the chaos in the city. I think it's shopping related.

I'm hoping that eventually it will just silt up, and then we can maybe get out and about in our own cars again. Seriously I've only seen stationary traffic on the way to and from work for days now. Maybe we could designate the roads as car parks, so they could just leave the machines there and walk.

Getting to STN heading south... yeah, we're kind of in the way of that. Just don't try to use the mostly cancelled train.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Normally, yeah right, travelling Westbound before 1200 is generally ok, it'll keep moving at least.

Yesterday, was just like the Eastbound carriageway is ALWAYS. Glad I had to pull off at Bar Hill to do an installation before joining the chaos again.

A tip for some, try the left hand lane at 50mph with the HGV's, you'll get through quicker. Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The alternative is:
to leave the A14 at Huntingdon and take the A1198 towards ROYSTON,
at Royston take the A10 to Puckeridge,
at Puckeridge take the A120 towards Stansted.

Its an easy route with little traffic at night.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, we've used that route before due to accidents.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another option for the M11/Cambridge is to stay on the A1 until St Neots and just go along the A428. This too can be slow going, especially if the A14 is closed, but it can be pretty plain sailing too.

If going on the A428 pop in to Ski Exchange at Dry Drayton for a nose.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@DrLawn I think you mean Godmanchester for the 1198, one junction past Huntingdon.

Those of us that live around here have many other rat runs but they will remain our secret until 2020 when we have our spangly A14 expansion. which is, btw, the cause of some of the night closures.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was thinking from the thread title that the A14 had opened up as a ski resort and I was expecting a full review. My thoughts were it was probably a bit lacking in slope of any sort.😀
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
t44tomo, i think the hill down from Fitzwilliam to St John's would make an excellent run, especially with the built in fun funnel of Magdalene Bridge.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

t44tomo, i think the hill down from Fitzwilliam to St John's would make an excellent run, especially with the built in fun funnel of Magdalene Bridge.

It's the ONLY bloody hill in Cambridge and I had to cycle UP it every day for 3 years to get to work.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells Just don't make too much noise as you pass through Royston Smile

@skribble, Oh yes Godmanchester, I wonder why I keep getting lost.

@t44tomo If conditions are right you can ski on Royston Heath, I saw a selfie video somewhere on here of someone snowboarding down the golf course. The apres ski is what you make it yourself .. They dont do Vin Chaude at McDonnalds .... yet! Toofy Grin

@Jonpim, I wonder if the Fens will ever freeze again ?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy