Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do I need to know about driving in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
@cloud cult, for your vignette for austrua just stop at a services pretty much anytime after munich. You will see signs ti say they sell them. I dont know where you are headed so can't give specific advice on how long it will be before you get to the border. Google Austrian vignette and you will see the symbol to look for.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I will have a cell phone but will not be using data as it's pretty pricey. What I plan to do is download directions to use offline when I have wi-fi. I'll also have a paper map.

I use a software package called CoPilot on my tablet for navigation. All of the maps are downloaded at home for a modest fee and it works well.

Many people hiring cars may not have a car of their own so you will be covered for insurance by the renters insurance. In the UK and most of the rest of Europe it is the car that is covered not the driver. It is this CDW stuff that is the problem. Many hire companies say that you are responsible for a large excess on the CDW and try to insist that you take out their insurance to mitagate the risk. Their insurance is very expensive and us punters think they are using minor scratches and scrapes to make their profit. That is why I take out a seperate CDW excess insurance from a second provider.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It is worth noting that CDW (also know as loss damage waiver, LDW) is not "insurance".

In return for you paying them some money, a waiver is given by the renter that they will not pursue you for the cost of fixing any damage they think you've caused to the car. (sure sounds like insurance: but it isn't) .

Except for the excess. Which can be as much as €1000. - ie your CDW payment doesn't cover the first thousand of their claim on you.

So they try to sell you an insurance to cover that.
Sometimes THAT has an excess too.

(no, I'm not making this up...)

But as @johnE says, you can buy that excess cover elsewhere, usually at an annual cost less than a week's worth of "excess insurance" through the hire company. And most savvy renters nowadays do.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Navmii for navigation, download the maps for free or use Google maps and download the route before you leave home so you don't need data.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cloud cult wrote:
For rental car insurance, my drivers insurance will not cover me in Europe at all, so liability must be purchased from the rental car company unless there is some other alternative from a third party source. I gather that is something that exists? For collision, if I book the entire rental car cost with my credit card and decline collision at the desk, I am "covered".

It can be confusing. So I just explain that should I have an accident or the car gets damaged in some way while I'm not in it (icy car parks is where it happens), that I don't want to be paying out anything at all. It tends to double the price but I've seen excesses as high as 2,500 Euros for theft and 1,000 Euros for damage. If you do that you don't even need to inspect the car for dings before you set off.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to repeat this here because I think the OP missed my original reply: for most US issued credit cards and rental in most foreign countries, if you decline all coverages and pay the entire rental fee with your US card, you are covered. From my card's website:

"Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver–Decline the rental company’s collision insurance and charge the entire rental cost to your card. Coverage is provided for theft and collision damage for most rental cars in the U.S. and abroad. In the U.S., coverage is secondary to your personal insurance."
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

It tends to double the price but I've seen excesses as high as .... 1,000 Euros for damage

The original estimate for the below scratch was 1,060eu!!! We got that reduced a bit, but the final balance (which was luckily covered by our UK booked excess insurance) came to ~£690, so be aware out there rolling eyes

They claimed there was damage to 2 panels (door and arch) so that was 500eu per panel - the estimate also included some cost for electrical items, so sounded like they were quoting for door removal (maybe disconnect electric windows?) for a respray

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mr. mike, generally in Europe CDW doesn't cover windscreen, side windiws, mirrirs and hub caps and thats where the excess comes in. Dors your card cover accidebtal damage to these e.g. stone chips/cracks in the windscreen?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mr. mike, I'll be a monkey's uncle if that covers the excess (or 'deductible' as you say) on a European car hire.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reversed into a Golf GTI at walking speed, no damage to any paint work, no visible damage to either car, both plastic bumpers were unmarked. Collision 5MPH, if that.

£3500.00 was the cost of resetting the lane change/parking camera fitted to the Golf!!!!!! Get the best insurance you can afford.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A Swiss hired car from Geneva had a flat tyre - tyre U/S with sizeable gash from a typical alpine road pot hole. Had to replace two tyres - tow - major inconvenience because of the unforgiveable lack of spare tyre (can of gunk no help with two inch gash). Would have been far more inconvenient had it been the only car in the party. Europcar agreed that I would get it sorted locally in France but initially refused to reimburse us as the standard insurance doesn't cover tyres. But I had paid the extra - and eventually they coughed up for the lot, which was a relief.

I had to change a wheel on my own car earlier this year - fortunately I had a full size spare (no good waiting for a distant breakdown service as dusk falls on a minor mountain road.....). That was a simple nail puncture, easily mended in Albertville the following day - but without the spare I could have been stuck for many hours.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I returned my hire car at Geneva a couple of days ago, and this time I was offered and accepted a "Would you like your bill now, or sent to you?" after he'd checked the car was OK. For the first time, I said "Yes" and it was reassuring that I walked away with the final bill, and no unexpected charges. There's a natural tendency to want to rush to the checkin ASAP, but I'd rather have an argument about unexpected charges then and there, as opposed to when I'm back home.

Note that some hire companies charge a day for the collection and return days, while others do it by the clock. In this case, it was the latter, and as we returned with 20 mins to spare before it ran into another 24h I was charged only 4 days although it covered 5 calendar days. Just check what your arrangement is - you'll be kicking yourself if you got charged a day's fees and could have arrived half an hour earlier.

Swiss Vignette: In Switzerland, the Vignette is valid into January of the next year i.e. 2016 will be valid through Jan 2017. So the hire companies spend January replacing the vignettes as the cars are turned over. Occasionally, they miss one. My daughter got stopped on the Autoroute in early Feb because the hire car didn't have the next year's vignette on it. She had to buy one and get it taken off the hire charge, which was a pain. So if you're hiring a Swiss car in January and likely to be driving it into February, just check before you go that it's got its 2017 Vignette on.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This is all good advice and its not as difficult as it may seem, just relax and enjoy your trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverXX: agree with you that it does not appear it would cover damage to the vehicle caused by damage OTHER THAN a collision.

@ pruman: I think it would cover the deductible in the event damage was due to collision, but not otherwise (which may be the same thing you are saying).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mr. mike, collision cover excludes windows, mirrors, tyres, hubcaps. Only covers bodywork essentially in Europe. yours might be different
snow conditions
Rick Steves offers this advice to Americans regarding insuring rental cars in Europe. The article describes the 3 options, buying CDW/Super CDW, relying on US issued credit card for insurance, buying coverage as part of a travel insurance policy. I have copied in the text on CC coverage. Link to article: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/car-rental-cdw

Credit-Card Coverage

Car-company CDW surcharges can seem like a racket when you consider that most credit cards already include collision coverage. By paying with the right credit card, you get zero-deductible collision coverage (comparable to “super” CDW)...likely for free. In other words, if your car is damaged or stolen, your credit card will cover whatever costs you’re liable for. The only major downside: If you do end up in an accident, dealing with credit-card coverage can be more of a hassle than what you’d encounter with the car-company CDW. But if a potential headache seems like a worthwhile trade-off for certain — and significant — cost savings, look into this option.
To make this work, first double-check that your credit card does indeed offer this coverage. Remember that restrictions apply and coverage varies between issuers: Get a complete description of the coverage offered by your credit-card company. Ask in which countries it is applicable, which parts of the car (if any) are excluded, the types of vehicles that are eligible, whether it covers theft/loss, the maximum reimbursement allowed (if it’s less than the price of the car, the rental company may require you to buy their CDW), and the maximum number of rental days covered (if your rental period exceeds that number, your card won’t cover any of the rental). Have them explain the worst-case scenario to you. It can be smart to ask for a “Letter of Coverage” — take a hard copy of it with you to the rental counter in Europe.
Once you’ve confirmed your credit card’s coverage, be sure to decline the CDW offered by your car-rental company. If you accept any coverage offered by the rental agency, you automatically forego your credit-card coverage. (In other words, if you buy CDW that comes with a $1,000 deductible, your credit card will not cover that deductible.) This may also be the case if you book and prepay for a rental that already includes CDW and/or theft coverage — don’t sign any rental contract until you’re sure that by doing so you’re not accidentally accepting the rental company’s coverage.
A credit card’s collision coverage applies even if the damage happens while the car’s being driven by someone else, as long as that other driver, and the cardholder, are both listed as drivers on the rental contract. Remember to use that same card not only to reserve the car, but also to pay for the rental itself, as well as any other related fees you’re charged, whether when booking at home, or when picking up or dropping off the car in Europe — switching cards can invalidate the coverage.
If you get in an accident, the rental company will charge your credit card for the value of the damage (up to the deductible amount) or, if the vehicle is stolen, the value of the deductible associated with theft. It’s then up to you to seek reimbursement for these charges from your credit-card company when you get home. You’ll need to submit the police report and the car-rental company’s accident report. (When deciding between rental companies, consider that American-based rental companies can be easier to work with if you have a claim to resolve.)
Be warned that, as far as some rental companies are concerned, by declining their CDW offer, you’re technically liable for the full deductible (which can equal the cost of the car). Because of this, the car-rental company may put a hold on your credit card for the full value of the car. This is bad news if your credit limit is low — particularly if you plan on using that card for other purchases during your trip. (Consider bringing two credit cards — one for the rental car, the other for everything else.) If you don’t have enough credit on your card to cover the car’s value, the rental company may require you to purchase their CDW.
Since most credit cards don’t offer collision insurance to their European cardholders, counter agents — especially those unaccustomed to American clients — may be skeptical that declining their CDW is a prudent move (all the more reason to have hard-copy proof of your credit-card coverage on hand). Don’t be surprised if you hear a warning about how credit cards provide only “secondary” coverage — that’s moot as long as you’ve declined the rental company’s coverage and your own personal car insurance doesn’t apply to the country you’re in. By clearly understanding the coverage from your credit-card company, you should be set to ward off a hard sale on the rental-company CDW.
latest report
@mr. mike, I've never really seen a quote excluding CDW in Europe; it is always included so I don't know how much it would actually save
snow report
While the fuel price in Europe may be double, the mpg should be much better.
snow report
And the distances shorter.. snowHead
snow report
pam w wrote:
And the distances shorter.. snowHead
tell me about it, I've 2 days to get to Colorado Springs from Ohio, 1356mls, gonna be tight Confused
latest report
There are also a couple of differences between the countries.

Germans tend to drive pretty good. Very speedy, but they do make way for faster drivers (and expect the same), but only if possible. Sometimes there is no speed limit, but if there is, almost everybody sticks to it. Roads are in a good conditions, but do brake when leaving the highway Smile. The only thing is that Germans sometimes are on the leftmost lane when they have to leave the highway (that's on the right) so that will cause some trouble. You need a umweltplakkette for entering most of the cities, but rental cars will have it (if rented in Germany).

In Austria I don't have much experience driving, only on a busy Saturday when the roads are full with Germans and Dutch people. The roads are good, well signposted and not fit for a lot of traffic (so many small accidents when it's very busy, causing a lot of delay). Expect the locals to drive like morons uphill (overtaking everybody, everywhere, just don't let them rush you, just drive the speed you want).

Swiss people can't drive. Period. Normally just a couple of cars drive from town to town so they are completely lost on the busy Saturday's. They'll switch lanes when it isn't possible (cause you are driving there), they stick to the speed limit too much (ok; the fines are crazy) and when it is busy, they don't know how to drive in traffic jams, so they are making it worse...you need a vignette (about 40 euros, they check at the border, where you can buy it, but long queues)

The the Italians...they are fun on the road. Tailgating, using horns for everything, speeding, overtaking whenever they can (or can't), highways where some people drive about 60 km/h as well as 180 km/h...yeah, it is fun. Drive assertive, nobody is gonna give you way, but if you take it is fine. Parking is tricky (especially if you are not used to it). Very important: some towns have prohibited sections just for residents and you will get caught. Beware! Toll is easy, just use your cc when entering the highway. In the Deep South and Sicily you have to pay cash, in the north your cc is fine.

In general: beware for Belgiums, Swiss and east European drivers. They are the most unpredictable and aggressive (the Russians). But that's just relative though Smile. As from what I know, European driving compared to US driving is a bit more complex, faster en busier. If you aren't used to manual transmission, do rent a auto. Serious, you don't want to manual shift when in a traffic jam on a steep mountain road with aggressive locals behind (and beside) you.

For insurance: rental companies are a sort of a maffia. They will find something if you don't have insurance. Mostly your cc has it, and you can get insurance also separate for better prices (in front). About feul a lot has been said. Don't drink and drive. Outside of Italy, only handsfree calling. Italians don't speak English, most of the german speaking people also don't, but they who has to work with tourist will do al little (but enough). Italians again, don't. I once had a dinner somewhere in Tuscany and when they found out we didn't speak Italian, they got a waiter helping us who should be able to speak English. His yes was indeed very good, but he didn't know any other words...
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads @Roy83 snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy