Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens - April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Considering a late March / early April trip to Samoens. Having not skied this area before I would be grateful for any input regarding likelihood of snow in the village towards the back end of the season.

Thanks !

Griggs
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You mean the actual village? Where are you actually staying?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Samoens 1600 I think
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Griggs wrote:
Samoens 1600 I think

Ah not the village then. There should be. I've not been to that area but I'm usually out in other French resorts at that time of the year.

And it depends what you mean by will there be snow. With snow making as it is and with piste bashing there is no doubt the runs will be open to that level. Whether there station actually looks snowy... maybe, maybe not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect you should be OK at Samoens 1600 and most runs from there upwards should be open, they are reasonably well protected and north facing so unless things go disastrously wrong you should be fine to ski from there. In a completely un-scientific way, a quick google search revealed this image taken in April 2010 showing decent enough snow cover (though hardly winter wonderland)

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grand Massif Express Car Park, Easter 2008 - snow on roof after 6 hours skiing.

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These photos were taken in early April too, again, looks like good enough coverage (though no predictor of future conditions)

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tsf3-des-gouilles-rouges-poma-147.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bigtuboflard wrote:
I suspect you should be OK at Samoens 1600 and most runs from there upwards should be open, they are reasonably well protected and north facing so unless things go disastrously wrong you should be fine to ski from there. In a completely un-scientific way, a quick google search revealed this image taken in April 2010 showing decent enough snow cover (though hardly winter wonderland)

And wasn't 2010 one of the worst in living memory?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't recall @foxtrotzulu, I try and block those years out Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grand massif is a lovely ski area and snow is often good in early April.

Samoens 1600 is at the foot of the slopes but that is all it has going for it as there is no village there as such - just an ugly apartment block and club med in construction.

The village is at the bottom of the gondola in Samoens proper at 800m (although you would not have snow in the village itself at Easter)

I prefer Les Carroz as a base for skiing the Grand Massif. Pleasant village near the most beautiful part of the ski area. If you don't mind staying somewhere modern you could also consider Flaine as that has easy access to the highest slopes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2011 was the last really bad year for snow at Easter in the Northern Alps
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy