Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would appreciate help on my first jacket purchase :)

Poster: A snowHead
Been skiing a few times before but sadly the jacket used is no longer suitable Neh Neh

Looking for a decent warm jacket on a budget of maybe £50-60 which is admittedly tight...been eyeing up a Kilpi jacket on sportpursuit...any experience with that brand/model?

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/945031

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe your best bet is a bargain in your local TK maxx. Can get very technical jackets with huge reductions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
garethjomo wrote:
Maybe your best bet is a bargain in your local TK maxx. Can get very technical jackets with huge reductions.

I had a look in a pretty massive one yesterday anf they only seemed to stock the No Fear type of pretty mediocre kit
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look here: http://www.surfanic.co.uk/mens/winter/ski-jackets/?dir=asc&limit=all&order=price

I am not linked to them in any way, other than an existing customer: I've got a jacket, as well as bags and thermals, which are great.

It always seems as though the prices drop as soon as I've bought something, but there's a lot within your budget already
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
EarthWindandWater wrote:
Have a look here: http://www.surfanic.co.uk/mens/winter/ski-jackets/?dir=asc&limit=all&order=price

I am not linked to them in any way, other than an existing customer: I've got a jacket, as well as bags and thermals, which are great.

It always seems as though the prices drop as soon as I've bought something, but there's a lot within your budget already

This looks awesome, thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BenLindsay wrote:
garethjomo wrote:

I had a look in a pretty massive one yesterday anf they only seemed to stock the No Fear type of pretty mediocre kit

I'd point you towards TK Maxx on your budget too. Its massively hit and miss so you do need to pop in whenever your passing but you can get technical Quiksilver and Surfanic amongst other brands.

Otherwise Id be scraping behind the sofa for another £30-£40 to find a coat that I was happy with for the next 5 years or so.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It might be worth looking at Mountain Warehouse. They are showing 6 different men's ski jackets at under £50 on the website at the moment. The trick with MW is to sign up for the emails and use the vouchers that come out every month. I succumbed towards the end of last season and got a further 30% of a really nice jacket that was already reduced significantly, have a feeling I landed up paying about £35. I was suspicious that it was too cheap, but it is truly waterproof (as opposed to many cheaper jackets that claim to be) and has performed well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sj1608 wrote:
It might be worth looking at Mountain Warehouse. They are showing 6 different men's ski jackets at under £50 on the website at the moment. The trick with MW is to sign up for the emails and use the vouchers that come out every month. I succumbed towards the end of last season and got a further 30% of a really nice jacket that was already reduced significantly, have a feeling I landed up paying about £35. I was suspicious that it was too cheap, but it is truly waterproof (as opposed to many cheaper jackets that claim to be) and has performed well.

Every month? aaaah ive just missed it then - leaving on boxing day
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some cheap enough jackets on Go Outdoors at the moment, and they are doing an extra 10% code at the moment too;

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/skiing/clothing/ski-jackets

Don't have any personal experience as to the quality of the jackets on there but as others have also said, adding a few extra ££ to your budget if you can find it would definitely help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just found this for 20% off at MW until tomorrow:
https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/mountainwarehouse.co.uk
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BenLindsay, could try your local Aldi? Didn't look at the adults stuff, but at £12.99 each for the children's jackets, I am very happy with the buy and the girls have been wearing them this weekend in around freezing and getting on b very happily (with only occasional complaints about being too warm).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BenLindsay, I bought a Kilpi soft shell from Sport Pursuit. Very pleased with the quality, fit etc.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:
@BenLindsay, could try your local Aldi? Didn't look at the adults stuff, but at £12.99 each for the children's jackets, I am very happy with the buy and the girls have been wearing them this weekend in around freezing and getting on b very happily (with only occasional complaints about being too warm).

I've heard that! Quite hit and miss though I'd imagine.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Costco - if you have a card or know someone who does? Ditto Aldi on this budget
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Costco - if you have a card or know someone who does? Ditto Aldi on this budget
ski holidays
Couple of good options above, but don't rule out the Nevica stuff from Sports Direct. http://www.sportsdirect.com/nevica
snow conditions
Have a look in a "Trespass" shop if there is one near you.
Check if they have anything useful for you.

I'd be a little wary of TK-Max, they are great for some things, but some of the "Branded" stuff thats cheap .. is cheap for a reason.

I have picked up several bargain Jackets . the best bargain was a TOG-24 jacket for £35.
Great jacket, I loved the colours but most people would not.
snow report
BenLindsay wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I've heard that! Quite hit and miss though I'd imagine.

We also got merino top each for ourselves and very happy with quality of those. They came in a week last Sunday, so there won't be much left. I went in last Thursday and on Marino's literally got the last in our sizes. If you can get to one easily, take a look.
ski holidays
Anyone got experience with Nebulus? Their softshell jackets are well reviewed - I think it'd probably suit me better as I could use it as a general coat out and about too! Smile

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008KKG9HA/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21)
ski holidays
I would second the recommendation for Surfanic jackets - I have had 2 which have outperformed and outlasted jackets which have cost hundreds more. No issues with waterproofing or breathability, which to me are the most important factors. Also have the much needed pockets, as I don't like carrying backpacks while skiing.
snow conditions
I would second the recommendation for Surfanic jackets - I have had 2 which have outperformed and outlasted jackets which have cost hundreds more. No issues with waterproofing or breathability, which to me are the most important factors. Also have the much needed pockets, as I don't like carrying backpacks while skiing.
latest report
If you are on a budget I'd recommend checking out Dare2B and Decathlon. Although keenly priced, my experience of their gear is that it really does the intended job very well. I get given a lot of Dare2B stuff free when I work on bike races (as an official) but have been impressed enough to go any buy my own - yes, with my own money!
ski holidays
Quote:

Just found this for 20% off at MW until tomorrow:
https://www.vouchercodes.co.uk/mountainwarehouse.co.uk

I thought I'd check out the site after you posted this ended up with a new jacket and complete set for my wife and daughter (they do some amazing package deals).

All the stuff arrived today and we are seriously impressed with the quality, was expecting it to be a bit 'cheaper' looking/feeling!
latest report
@vjmehra, I found the mountain warehouse stuff we got my daughter didn't last as well as the trespass and decathlon stuff. It was fine for eldest but very tatty by the time we tried to hand it down to the youngest. However that was bought 6yrs back! So could easily have changed.
ski holidays
Quote:

@vjmehra, I found the mountain warehouse stuff we got my daughter didn't last as well as the trespass and decathlon stuff. It was fine for eldest but very tatty by the time we tried to hand it down to the youngest. However that was bought 6yrs back! So could easily have changed.

Oh thats depressing Sad

I'll report back after some usage, hopefully as you say its improved!
latest report
@vjmehra, Also could have been down to how my then 4yr old treated the clothes:-). We also used them for general outside play and walks etc when very cold.
snow report
To be fair, little ones grow very quickly, so arguably they may as well play in them a lot as they'll be too big to wear them anyway pretty fast Happy
snow conditions
What about dare2be jackets? Not really skiing but will be walking and snowshoeing I hope
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The dare2b soft shell's I got for my girls have been worn skiing, bike riding, horse riding and general everyday wear and I have been very impressed with how they are wearing.
latest report
We bought a d.are2b jacket each at a bargain cost. They look fine and hopefully will do the trick
snow conditions
I have used high end Goretex mountaineering jackets for winter sports for the last 30 years but have recently switched to the top range Dare2B softshell jackets for skiing and warmer weather ice climbing. Brilliant, very high quality and if you get the higher breathability rated ones they can cope with a lot of sweating during exertion (I use their thin light stuff for ski touring). You can always put an extra layer on if you feel the cold, but a thick insulated jacket can be a problem if you ski on a warm sunny day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy