Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Weekend in Soll/ Ski Welt

Poster: A snowHead
Recently returned from a successful trip to Austria and thought it maybe helpful to share some of the details, as people always seem to need tips re short ski stays:

Resort: Soll, Austria

Tour Party: 11 guys

Flights: Out, Friday, Bristol- Innsbruck 7am Easyjet:- usual no frills stuff
Rtn, Mon, Munich-Bristol 4.10pm BMI- higher standard, baggage included, free drinks!
Total Cost £120 approx, including baggage.
NB Its cost a bit more for one of our party who managed to miss the flight out having gone through security and passports. He had to buy an extra flight and car hire from Munich. Cost over £350!

Transfers: Four Seasons. Reliable and comfortable. They sent a huge luxury coach to Innsbruck, which was overkill but welcome nonetheless.
Innsbruck-Soll 1hr
Soll- Munich 2 hours

Hotel: Garni Tenne. Excellent 3 star establishment in the centre of the village. Decent sized rooms, balconies, sauna, good breakfast and allows less than a week's booking.
£90/ night for twin rooms.

Equipment Hire: Edinger, under the main Gondola. There were cheaper options available but I would recommend this place for the convenience of having a ski depot at the bottom of the gondola/ last run. All the staff were Brits and all v cheerful and helpful, except one, who looked like Jason Manford (Jason Mangryford). But even he warmed up by the last day. They even took your skies out of the lockers after night skiing to warm them up before the next day- although this resulted in everyone being given the wrong skies and lots of hung-over men getting very confused.

Skiing:
Day1: On the slopes by 12.15pm. Skied to Scheffau. Favourite run. Red 60 to the valley, even on a v hot day.
Night skiing: Thoroughly recommended. Costs a bit extra but means you ski a 'full day' and they light up the whole mountain, so plenty to do. Just be careful if you are indulging in the on slope Apres in the Stockalm. No-one tells you when the lights are being turned off. We all had to ski down the toboggan run to get home. The Austrian aren't too keen on health and safety!

Day 2: Skied to Westendorf. Excellent ski area. Good to do on Saturday when the local slopes are busy with German day trippers. Try to get up early as the best way to access the Westendorf lifts is to catch the second bubble to the top of the Hohe Salve and ski down to Brixen. By the time we got up there was a 15 minute queue for this lift, so we went the longer route from lift 43. Favourite run. We enjoyed the run back down to Brixen from the top of Westendorf, Red 11. But even the corresponding run, red 1b, wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, with only a few areas of slush.

Day 3: It snowed heavily so we stayed around the Soll area. Favourite runs: Black 42 with fresh powder and off piste around blue 43, although borders beware, there is a long flat end to this run.

On slope Dining: We ate at the top of the Scheffau gondola on day 1, at the 11er Alm on Blue 111 on the second day, which was enjoyable due to there being a hidden bump on the piste right in front, which led to bets being placed on who would come a cropper. The final day, we stuck to Stockalm in Soll, where they do excellent rottiserie chicken. We found all food and drink to be good value.

Apres Ski: By far the most lively place we encountered was Moonlite Bar at the bottom of the last run in Soll on the Saturday. It was rammed full of (mainly) drunk Munichites, whose buses didn't return until 10pm. It was cracking fun if a but bewildering from time to time. At one point we feared there would be an all in wild west style fight as one paralytic Bayern fan goaded someone into giving him a slap. The more people came into break it up, the bigger the carnage got. Of course there are no bouncers anywhere! Anyway, it eventually calmed down and the rest of the night was all about Germanic dancing, led by DJ Rosti, who was a cross between a Chuckle Brother and the Dancing Priest off Father Ted. It's one of those placed where you leave at 9 but it feels like 2.
Otherwise Salvenstubl, 'the 1000% best pub in Soll' is reasonable, with plenty of live music on offer. The Schulehaus, opposite our hotel was more relaxed but still had some good music on Sunday night and then The Whiskey Muhler is the late bar where you will always end up. It was a little quiet on the first 2 nights, although someone in a full leather gimp suit arrived on Saturday night, which at least added a frisson of danger. Sunday was a lot busier and better. The DJ played pretty well any tune we requested.

Food: We kept forgetting to eat in the evening so I can only comment that the Whiskey Muhler serves very hot pizzas as late as 1am! On the Sunday we remembered and had fantastic steaks in the restaurant above. Dorf Stubl also looked a good place to eat for what it's worth.

General Conclusions: Having been to several resorts for 3 night trips, Soll is up there due to the airport convenience (it would have been even better if there were flights back from Innsbruck on Monday as well), prices- it must be one of the cheapest areas for food and drink and ski terrain. The Ski Welt is somewhere you need a week to ski properly, but for a weekend you can pick and choose your favourite bits and although the altitude isn't high, you would be hard pressed to go on a warmer weekend than we had and the snow held up perfectly well.

If you have any questions feel free to give me a shout.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great TR there. We did a long weekend in Soll a couple of years ago. Didn't experience the moonlight bar but The Hexenalm (witchy pub) became a blur to us after an apres bill which was almost a sheet of a4 paper between 8 of us!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
EdYarker wrote:
They even took your skies out of the lockers after night skiing to warm them up before the next day.

Good report.

I may be being a bit dim but why would skis need to be warmed up?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ster, you are correct. It would have been easier if they had just taken our boots!

@joe1978, we enjoyed a few at the Hexenalm as well, whilst waiting for night skiing to start. Nice place but thankfully we were able to keep a lid on the beers, knowing that we were due back on the slopes later. But it was tough!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nice TR - brought back memories from last year - agree re Westendorf which was excellent and agree with @joe1978, the Hexenhalm at the bottom of the run to Soll was great fun with the natives at the end of each day
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@EdYarker
the ski depot was free of charge for customers of Edinger?

Thank you in advance!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EdYarker, the ski depot was free of charge for customers of Edinger? thank you
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi@Curzonian, I think there was an extra fee for ski storage. But it was worth it as the lifts are a bit of a hike from the village. They also warm the equipment over night or let you use an outside locker if you are going night skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad you had a good time, was this your first time in that region?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DrLawn, No I have been the Ski Welt 3 times and am a fan. It ticks boxes for variety of skiing, affordability, apres and scenery. I had previously stayed in Scheffau, which I think is a better access point and easier to get around the area than Soll. But as a group we have done Soll a couple of times now due to the livelier night life. I would be keen to stay in Westendorf in the future and spend a bit longer on that side of the Skiwelt. We had a great day over there this time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers @EdYarker, I'm off to Ellmau at the end of Jan - cannot wait
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weird that this has popped back up again....I'm revisiting early march for another boys week. Ah memories!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@joe1978, Lucky you. Be sure to sample the Moonlight Bar this time, especially if DJ Rosti is on the roster! Have fun.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@EdYarker, Westendorf is the best SW resort (and I've stayed in them all). Great nightlife, the best skiing in the area and easy access to the slopes.
snow conditions
@EdYarker, Westendorf is the best SW resort (and I've stayed in them all). Great nightlife, the best skiing in the area and easy access to the slopes.
ski holidays
A huge fan of the skiwelt! Tried Ellmau & Westerndorf & both fabulous but we do keep going back to Soll - will be our 10th time in Feb! We ski the whole area and agree that Scheefau is a great starting point & Westerndorf has some great skiing but it's the apres that keeps us going back to Soll - no-one quite like FOTT at 5 or/and 9pm 😀
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy