Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extra warm layers!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I am always cold (not just when I am skiing) and am wanting to get some really good layers for under my ski jacket this season.

Has anyone got any recommendations for really good warm fleeces, or other thermal layers that they can recommend?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always wear an insulated ski jacket (not a shell) and under it one thin merino layer, and one thicker merino layer. If it's really cold, I will add a merino vest and a long-sleeved silk vest. Below the waist I always wear compression tights and knee length thick socks under insulated (not shell) ski pants and, if it's really cold, I add silk long johns. The merino stuff is Icebreaker - expensive, but there are on-line deals and, anyway, I have found the gear to be virtually indestructible. The silk stuff is from Patra, cheap and excellent.

And yes, I look like a diminutive version of the Michelin Man on skis, especially when I add my back protector to the ensemble. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arc'teryx Atom jackets are good for an extraordinarily wide temp range.

Or Patagonia R4 if you can get hold of one.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Shinnyshin, the new generation of synthetic "active insulation" might fit the bill?

Gucci examples are:

Patagonia Nano Air - http://eu.patagonia.com/enGB/product/womens-nano-air-hoody?p=84265-0

Arcteryx - http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?country=gb&language=en&gender=womens&model=Atom-LT-Hoody-W

or anything with Primaloft active. These should be warm but more breathable than standard synthetic insulated jackets. (The Patagonia is the best imho but it does cost)

Your other option is a high loft fleece like a Polartec Thermal Pro:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/womens-hispar-jacket

and if you get cold, I'd recommend a grid waffle backed fleece as a base layer:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/womens-eclipse-hooded-zip-tee

Merino is fine but expensive, fragile and heavy for it's warmth. It is also is slow to dry. Nice for hanging out in, feels nice against the skin but certainly not the best for active pursuits.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@galpinos,
Quote:

fragile
My merino layers have been through the washing machine times without number.

Quote:

It also is slow to dry
Not in my experience.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, +1

My next to skin layer is merino and dries quickly. Not noticeably heavier than the synthetic stuff I've looked at, plus it dries better: very unlikely to get that horrible damp smell from wool (vs. really quite likely from a lot of polyester stuff in my experience).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Pynch, the pong factor is super-important! Merino absolutely doesn't.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great ideas, thank you all! My jacket is a soft shell, so not insulated.

Does anyone wear a down vest/gilet under their jacket?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Shinnyshin,
Quote:

Does anyone wear a down vest/gilet under their jacket

I've seen people doing so, but they tend to be thinner than me. I worry that, for me, cosy as they are, it would be the final blow to any semblance of elegance. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Shinnyshin, I was also looking at down jackets as an option when I got new kit a couple of years ago (my old jacket was quite well insulated).

To save on cost I bought a fairly heavy duty polartec fleece (rather than down) to make up the difference, but in practice have hardly worn it for skiing at all and don't usually bring it with me up the hill. Though good for piece of mind if it gets really cold, I've found that a decent base layer and a light mid layer is fine on most days. I mirror this on my legs too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
@Shinnyshin,
Quote:

Does anyone wear a down vest/gilet under their jacket

I've seen people doing so, but they tend to be thinner than me. I worry that, for me, cosy as they are, it would be the final blow to any semblance of elegance. Laughing

I'm not thin, but I usually have a down gilet in my pack in case of sudden temperature drops / standing round waiting for ski school to return, to be worn under a hard shell. If I'm expecting extreme cold then I have a long sleeved Decathlon version. The sleeves are Primaloft (I think), and the body down. Both are really thin & lightweight but make a real difference.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shinnyshin wrote:

It was pretty cold on the glacier in Tignes last month. I wore...

Patagonia R1 pullover (base layer)
Patagonia Beter Sweater Fleece Vest
Patagonia Down Sweater
Uninsulated Shell

The above is fine for me in -16c, but it takes a bit of searching to find a shell that allows you to wear that much stuff under it. Many modern 'touring' shells are designed to have extra layers worn over them not under them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Hurtle, It may well be the moths but my icebreaker stuff is all full of holes or stitched up (quite badly, I have not inherited my mother's skill with a needle) and is certainly heavier than fleece for an equivalent warmth value (obviously the warmth is a subjective measure an d I can't measure warmth like I can weight....)

My Patagonia merino mix t-shirts have actually fared quite well and are lovely to wear (if a little optimistically sized) but I'd not wear them for any activity that'll be sweaty, ideal for summer rock climbing, hanging out in the van etc.

I realise some people love it but it's not for me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

and if you get cold, I'd recommend a grid waffle backed fleece as a base layer:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/womens-eclipse-hooded-zip-tee

Me too - I find them incredibly toasty although I wear as a midlayer over merino. Whitedot does a special hooded one with Mountain Equipment which is tweaked to be just right for skiing. Spyderjon sells them. I've got one and it is great - I wear it between a base layer and a shell when it is really cold (normally I'd wear a thicker merino zip t over the base layer or just a base layer). I also wear it for cooler skins (with the shell in my pack).
here it is (on sale):
https://www.whitedotskis.com/collections/softgoods/products/me-x-wd-eclipse-hoody

The other thing worth having if you really feel the cold is a lightweight down jacket or gilet. Personally I don't think they are perfect as midlayers because they are less breathable/wicking than fleece or merino but they are great to pull on over your top layer to warm up or protect you on ski lifts. They pack very small into stuff sacks - you won't notice them in a rucsac. Rab Microlight is a classic example - I get huge brownie points for the one I bought my wife Very Happy
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/us/brands/rab/microlight
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Belay jackets are another option for lifts etc. Designed mainly for winter climbing they are a low bulk synthetic jacket with helmet compatible hood and a water resistant outer layer that are put on over the top of your shell gear when cold.
latest report
Shinnyshin wrote:

I feel the cold (all the time) and I wear a Rab microlight vest under my ski jacket.
latest report
Snowy123 wrote:
Shinnyshin wrote:

I feel the cold (all the time) and I wear a Rab microlight vest under my ski jacket.

When we skied in Winter Park last season a lot of the locals were wearing down vests, I spoke to one of our customers when I got back and they supply a flash vest which is what I described. The chaps wife and daughter won't leave home withou theirs now.

I haven't used my "sample" yet but may have some news in the new year.
snow conditions
Quote:

Belay jackets are another option for lifts etc. Designed mainly for winter climbing they are a low bulk synthetic jacket with helmet compatible hood and a water resistant outer layer that are put on over the top of your shell gear when cold.

I know its a bit unfashionable but a lot of the time I ski in what you could call a belay jacket - it's a Mountain Equipment jacket which has a goretex shell and (moderate weight) primaloft insulation. It's a bit neither one thing or another in that the goretex means it is a bit bulky to be packable and its too warm for skinning but its really good with just a base layer under for dec/jan/feb lift served. I think it is really intended for Scottish winter climbing in nasty weather.
latest report
Quote:

Shinnyshin wrote:

Actually gilets are much better than jackets under shells because the arm holes allow pretty good venting...
snow report
Thank you all so much - these are all brilliant suggestions.

I bought a jacket in the sale recently - its a North Face Fuseform Dot Matrix - it was sold on a skiing website so I sort of naively assumed it was a specifically designed ski jacket, but it is much more light weight than expected, and having researched I now think it is essentially a waterproof soft shell? But I really love it, it fits well and think with good layering it should be okay?!
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
Belay jackets are another option for lifts etc.

I find my Mountain Equipment belay jacket to be superbly practical, but I try to avoid wearing it for lift served skiing in an attempt to be more fashionable!
snow report
Scarpa wrote:

I find my Mountain Equipment belay jacket to be superbly practical, but I try to avoid wearing it for lift served skiing in an attempt to be more fashionable!
snow conditions
@Shinnyshin, that's a shell. Layering is the way forward.
snow conditions
Shinnyshin wrote:
Thank you all so much - these are all brilliant suggestions.

I bought a jacket in the sale recently - its a North Face Fuseform Dot Matrix - it was sold on a skiing website so I sort of naively assumed it was a specifically designed ski jacket, but it is much more light weight than expected, and having researched I now think it is essentially a waterproof soft shell? But I really love it, it fits well and think with good layering it should be okay?!

If you want the geeky definition it's a hard shell. But yes very suitable for skiing. Layering wise, should work fine with well thought out layers underneath. If you find that you can't fit enough layers under it, you could add a sleeveless insulated layer over the jacket. There's a YouTube video that explains this approach...

http://youtube.com/v/5tdVSikNcOM

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 1-12-16 22:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

Thank you, I thought so. Lots of people ski with shells right? Just want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake…it still has the tags in!
snow conditions
Oceanic wrote:

If you want the geeky definition it's a hard shell. But yes very suitable for skiing.

Oh. Shows how much I know…it felt soft Shocked
snow conditions
Shinnyshin wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Thank you, I thought so. Lots of people ski with shells right? Just want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake…it still has the tags in!

Yes, lots of people do ski in shells. Seems to be particularly popular with people on this forum.

Seeing as it still has the tags on, and you said that you feel the cold, I will say that some shells are more suitable for lift served skiing than others. The skinny fitting ones sometimes make working out a good combination of layers difficult, where as the more generously cut ones give more options as you can just wear loads of layers, and stick the shell on over the top.
snow report
Shinnyshin wrote:
Great ideas, thank you all! My jacket is a soft shell, so not insulated.

I did have a synthetic insulated gilet at one point but my arms got cold under my shell! Now have an Arcteryx Cerium jacket which is ideal as very light but nice and warm when it gets very cold.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shinnyshin wrote:
... Lots of people ski with shells right? Just want to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake…it still has the tags in!

If need something which works all season, it's the only way to go. Most guide gear is shell based.

Take a bunch of layers, then work out what you need. You can even dump a layer if you carry a small back pack to carry it in. And you can wear your shell down the pub in the UK too.

Of the stuff mentioned here I have the Arc Atom from last season. They're like the small down filled jumpers except with synthetic filling. They work well, are easier to wash than down and more useful if you're planning on getting them wet.

If you're doing layers it's best to have a mix of stuff (so not all fleeces) so they are easy to put on and get off.

I don't personally like merino, but some people do. I like the compression stuff for next-to-skin.

I've lots of down jackets and I really like the feel of it but dislike cleaning it. I don't wear it for riding as it's mostly too warm. Exceptions would be when it's about minus 30, and then only for the thinnest stuff. It's common to carry a duvet jacket if you're planning on hanging around a lot without doing any exercise, but that's a different issue.
ski holidays
Personally I get hot really easily so all year round I wear my insulated ski jacket and a running top underneath. As it gets hotter/colder I just change how much zip I do up and if I open the pit zips.

When I was in the army I used to wear a buffalo underneath my smock. For those who don't know, a buffalo is a waterproof outside, an insulated middle, and a sheeps wool inner. It's designed as a single layer to do everything. It's got loads of zips and vents and stuff, you wear it all the time and just open/close zips to control the temperature. So I'd rate a buffalo underneath a shell jacket as a tidy option, and if you get too warm it's easy to get cold air back in!
ski holidays
Buffalo's are a great option in the U.K. for relatively mild but often damp conditions as they vent exceptionally well, but I don't think I'd use it on its own for skiing (though I've seen one or two people do it) as the outer shell is Pertex so at best showerproof. Similarly I'd not use it as a layer under an outer shell as it'll be almost certainly too warm. I'd do as others have suggested and layer with a thin synthetic down jacket which insulates well but doesn't need to be looked after as much and still works well when wet. I have a Patagonia Nano Puff for that very purpose and its excellent.
snow report
Hi Shinnyshin, this tip is possibly only useful if you are female but I save up all the work/office tights that I manage to ladder throughout the autumn and wear a pair of tights under my long johns and ski pants - keeps me toasty without restricting leg movement and adding bulk Very Happy

Adds a bit of extra faff for bathroom visits but the extra insulation is worth it

I also use disposable hand warmers not only in my gloves but also put them in the inside pockets of my ski jacket.
snow conditions
Quote:

Seeing as it still has the tags on, and you said that you feel the cold, I will say that some shells are more suitable for lift served skiing than others. The skinny fitting ones sometimes make working out a good combination of layers difficult,

I agree with this. I bought a very nice Haglofs shell, which looked great, but I couldn't fit layers underneath it because the armholes were too small. I had bought it online from Cotswold Outdoor and took it into the Chichester shop to find a good warm fleece to go under. Complete fail. And I don't by a long chalk have fat arms/shoulders.

I wouldn't take those tags off until you've been into a shop and checked you can fit enough layers underneath.

If you're a cold person an insulated jacket might be better.
snow report
THE best item I've ever bought..... the string shirts from Brynje expensive and a bit ugly but hey who cares, it's base layer stuff. And if it's god enough for the Norwegian Special Forces it's good enough for me. Seriously, this stuff keeps you super warm!

http://www.nordiclife.co.uk/collections/brynje?gclid=CjwKEAiA1ITCBRDO-oLA-q_n8xYSJADjBQfGl-mHKXMt5ci6CecApIP-YddsY6XL6fZ6wEfGaAmdjRoCTWjw_wcB
latest report
I use a merino wool base layer. I get mine online from a store based in the Lake District. EDZ. Look them up online as I have been happy with my buys from there
latest report
@Oceanic,

That Patagonia vid is good. That's the kind of layering system I use whenever I may be going uphill. Of course it works for lift-served too but the advantages of layering versus an insulated jacket are not that significant if you aren't doing any strenuous cardiovascular exercise

Quote:

bought a very nice Haglofs shell, which looked great, but I couldn't fit layers underneath it because the armholes were too small. I had bought it online from Cotswold Outdoor and took it into the Chichester shop to find a good warm fleece to go under. Complete fail. And I don't by a long chalk have fat arms/shoulders.

With close-fitting shells the insulated gilet on top is the way to go. Obviously not so clever when its damp but it doesn't tend to be really cold and damp at the same time in the Alps.
snow report
Quote:

For those who don't know, a buffalo is a waterproof outside, an insulated middle, and a sheeps wool inner.

being pedantic I think its a water repellent / windproof outer (so more breathable than goretex for example) with a synthetic pile lining
ski holidays
yep:

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/mountain-shirt/
ski holidays
@jedster, I still have my Buffalo shirt after almost 30 years. Bomb proof for winter climbing and often the only thing I was wearing on the top half in some quite stormy conditions.
latest report
Oceanic wrote:
Scarpa wrote:

They do look like the type of thing a football manager wears on the sideline NehNeh

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 3-12-16 9:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy