Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MonteRosa (Aosta, Italy)

Poster: A snowHead
We are supposed to be over in Cervinia tomorrow which I doubt is going to happen which is a shame but we have enjoyed Champoluc and will definitely return again when there is more snow.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am going to guess, @mooney058, that local wind forecasts for high mountains can maybe be rather local and difficult to do.

@franga, you drove from Champoluc to Gressonney?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dont get there till the 14th, hoping theres a bit of snow... at least its better than this time last year...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name,

No, we are staying in a lovely little hotel called Hotel Gletscher up in Staffal. Easy drive down to Trinite.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Totally agree about the comment regarding Italian's 'need for speed' in all conditions. I had a couple of hairy moments on a red this morning. I think part of the problem is that there aren't many black runs (or blues!) in Champoluc so the reds have everyone on them. Some really out of control skiiers and boarders on the slopes today made the day a little less enjoyable. It quietened down after lunch and I was able to enjoy a run with my husband, 10 year and 6 year old. The stuff memories are made from.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying Champoluc. We booked our hotel only last week, a 2*, but the food and wine is excellent. And service really friendly. I think it would be idyllic with less crowds...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mia5859, really worried re your coments on crowds. Last year really enjoyed the quite time on slopes there and coming this Sat for a week was expecting quite slopes too. Although I like speed (in control) snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mooney058,

You'll be absolutely fine next week according to our hotel hosts. Most local kids (Turin / Milan) go back to school on the 9th.

I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Snow is holding up amazingly well given what's happening across most of the Northern / Western Alps.

You've picked well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mooney058, I really wouldn't expect any business, Italians all back at work on Monday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dsoutar, Thanks for the info, I have scoped the line from the gondola but obviously no idea of snow condition. Planned to get up there today but lifts all shut bar gondola from Alagna, which only opened 9:30 then closed by 1pm. I hired some carving skis as my off-piste skis don't like it firm, but only got two runs in before all closed, good on shop not to charge me

Forecast more high winds tomorrow so unlikely anything open. Alagna is a very very long way from any other hill on ski pass by road so not sure any option tomorrow. There is Alpe de Mera 15km down valley, but in ski shop said it's more grass than snow right now and probably very busy, plus runs look short and flat, anyone been there?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter Ross,,

Not sure if you've seen this. It's a bit old but then again the routes haven't changed.

http://www.monterosa.com/Portals/0/images/Pistmaps/Monterosa-off-piste-Map-Big.jpg

Wish I'd had this 12 years or so ago when I got out of the old lift and everybody bar one person went down to Alagna whilst the one chap who didn't went off like a scalded cat leaving me alone. I'd spent 20 years climbing around the world so being alone wasn't so bad but I wasn't such a good skier so it was an "interesting' descent!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just shows how very localised forecasting and weather is.

Meteoblue's bots are suggesting very high winds for Champoluc yet MR reporting everything open Champoluc side with stable winds with the exception of the Colle (OK it's highest). The Colle has snow cannons expressly to mitigate wind scraping not lack of snow.

Likewise Stafal-Colle closed but Stafal-Salati open.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dsoutar, Thanks hopefully tackle some of that tomorrow. When got up today Alagna closed bar gondola (seems to be open now but very cold at top and flat light) so decided to try Alpe di Mera, down valley.

Sunny here no wind and surprisingly fun. Pistes pretty bare but not icy but some brown and grassy patches but all open skiable. Off piste frozen. Not very busy no queues and nice mountain restaurants.

Could be a great little place with more snow as 35km of runs when all open and a serious north facing free ride zone. Not mentioned on any Monterosa information but pass seems to work.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 5-01-17 20:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Very windy in Champoluc today but most of the lifts stayed open for most of the day. Had some nice skiing in Champoluc in the morning then went to Frachey in the afternoon to find deserted slopes. Went down one run and saw not one person! Skied back over to Champoluc to find the main gondola closed. My legs were not happy as I had to ski down to the village. Not sure how they got all of the walkers down!

Hoping for less wind tomorrow but a fantastic day. This is not a resort for timid intermediates but if you are confident then you will love it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a great last day in Gressoney today - very windy and bitterly cold at the top of the second gondola so came down the Salati run as fast as we could. Spent most of the day lapping chairs 23 and 24 - we (including our 2 boys) absolutely loved all the reds around that sector. Definitely the highlight of our short / last-minute trip. Sat on the runway at GVA now looking forward to our next trip to Val d'Isere in 7 weeks ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Had a brilliant run down from Punta Indren today with my wife and friend supprised to find the snow so good up there the narrow part was a little icy but nothing to bad. I would love to get first tracks up there it's a fantastic place.
snow report
How are things looking in Monterosa? GF and I have booked a week in Gressoney 21st Jan. Snow forecast is looking a bit better this week - 10-15cm forecast? How are the pistes holding up?
ski holidays
@tjgadd18, just back today and if you are looking at just being on piste don't worry as it is pretty good everything is open and our group found it great. We stayed in Champoluc and skied over most days when the lifts opened and this was the only draw back for us but as you are staying in the middle of the area even if they shut the top lifts you will still have enough to play on.
The snow up at Punta Indren was surprisingly good fun and soft so with a bit of a top up and if the wind stays down I should imagine it being fab.
Have a great time im feeling the holiday blues coming this week I just hope Glencoe gets enough to open soon.
latest report
Pistes are very fine. Even Indren rather fine yesterday. You should have nothing to worry about snowHead
ski holidays
I will be going back sometime as the place looks to have some brilliant off piste to offer in the right conditions and the grooming of the slopes was brilliant really good fast carving slopes with a little ice to keep you on your toes.
snow report
Great, thanks for the update, very excited! You need a transciever etc for the punta indren lift right?

Any recommendations on off piste guides? If snow is good we might go for it.
ski holidays
@tjgadd18, we didnt but if the conditions were different to ours then yes it is off piste and I don't think it is patrolled so common sense dictates. I only saw one person test their beacon and no enforcement of requirement to have any gear but I would not be up there without in anything but the conditions we had.
snow report
no doubt @under a new name, will tell you the facts as he knows the place better than most.
ski holidays
The Heli Guides in Gressoney are very good. The overall leader is Poldo - he is an amazing guide - one of the best we have skied with in the Alps
ski holidays
@tjgadd18, we have been turned away when some of the group didn't have kit. But they were defo not checking on Sunday. Not that current conditions indicate for it Happy
ski holidays
If I haven't mentioned elsewhere, toh's cousin Eric has updated and upgraded the Rifugio Belvedere and it is very well worth a lunch or dinner visit. She particularly likes the prawn pasta. I like the vitello tonnatto or the paprika veal.

Really very good.

Grey and a few flocons forecast today...
snow report
Great we will try it out. Good a good deal at the Hotel Valverde with SkiTotal. Any recommendations for restaurants in St-Trinite? I think we have to eat out one night.
ski holidays
@tjgadd18, fraid no idea on evening stuff over there.
snow report
No idea what the food is like although it get's good reviews but the Castore bar near the church is a good place to hang out in the evening
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But @dsoutar that's in Champoluc and I believe @tjgadd18 is looking for Gressonney recs... Laughing
snow conditions
Just when i was looking forward to sunshine skiing...its going to snow for ten days ...
snow report
@Idcxty, with the base that's down the off piste should be amazing if you get a good covering , now I know the area I would travel for a weekend it looks that good.
snow report
Idcxty wrote:
Just when i was looking forward to sunshine skiing...its going to snow for ten days ...

I wouldn't be so sure. GFS shows a reasonable snowfall 13-14th (as it did today) and a potential small smattering on other days this week, then nothing but a few flecks on any scenario until 21st. It's not a bad forecast really, as the models seem pretty confident it'll get some snow this week which I imagine will help a lot. As someone arriving in 11 days I'd love it if it did snow for the next ten days, but I can't see anything suggesting it will.

snow report
Also looking for eating and drinking suggestions in gressoney la trinite. Staying in Stafel next week but I think we might need to escape in the evenings. It sounds very quiet. Glad to hear the pistes are good .
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
But @dsoutar that's in Champoluc and I believe @tjgadd18 is looking for Gressonney recs... Laughing

Eh????? I can assure you I didn't have that much to drink

Not the one I was in

https://m.facebook.com/castoreloungegressoney/
ski holidays
Ottoline wrote:
Also looking for eating and drinking suggestions in gressoney la trinite. Staying in Stafel next week but I think we might need to escape in the evenings. It sounds very quiet. Glad to hear the pistes are good .

We ate twice at Il Fienile in Stafal (above the lift pass office) and would highly recommend also the pizzeria underneath the hotel Nordend is OK too. Also make sure you try the bar at the bottom of the black run from Gabiet for apres; good free snacks and good music

I heard good things about the Morgenrot too (it's above Gressoney and you get a snow-cat to it) but couldn't get a booking
snow report
Wife is desperate for sunshine skiing...
snow report
Going to Champoluc Sat 14th, like you all have been closely watching snow reports. If you go to Ski2 web site ,home page, towards the bottom, they have a link to their office web cam. It is in the village and shows a dusting of snow . Camera stoped at 8 pm local time. Let's hope more up the hill.
ski holidays
Going to Champoluc Sat 14th, like you all have been closely watching snow reports. If you go to Ski2 web site ,home page, towards the bottom, they have a link to their office web cam. It is in the village and shows a dusting of snow . Camera stoped at 8 pm local time. Let's hope more up the hill.
snow report
@Mikehboyle, do not worry, piste conditions are excelent! Currently at Champoluc, it is very good indeed. Was here same time last year - strangly enough last year there was more snow at the village level than this year, while on the mountain snow is much much better this year! Temperatures are perfect, no winds so far during my stay. Really enjoying fast GS skis I had rented and the pistes are empty!
latest report
@dsoutar, haha more fool me, there is a Castor hotel with bar opposite church in Champoluc as well... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy