Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cham 97 length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wanting to get into touring a bit more. I've found a pair of Cham 97s, which many people rave about, for a decent price. I already have touring bindings which I'll swap over

Now not being an expert in ski tech, now the only issue is the length: 172 or 178 (and will it really mean much difference ?)
I'm 175cm and 85-90 Kilos (usually nearer 90 in winter). An average off-piste skier
I plan to use these mainly for touring as I'll use my existing skis for piste but nevertheless I might want to ski for several hours on the piste if I do a half day tour and can't be arsed changing them so bear that in mind

All advice welcome !
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go 178.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with Old Fartbag: go for 178s.
They're what i got, and i'm 172cm and 71kg.
With big rocker, way less than 178 touches the snow on-piste - they really come into their own off-piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
definitely not the 172. Could even go longer than 178 but 178 would be OK
I'm about the same height, 78kg and on 186 @ 108mm for my touring skis. I considered going shorter but am happy I didnt.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dsoutar wrote:
Wanting to get into touring a bit more. I've found a pair of Cham 97s, which many people rave about, for a decent price. I already have touring bindings which I'll swap over

Are they the High Mountain (HM) version. They are designed specifically for touring as they are lighter. I don't tour so have the standard version. They are very heavy. But I love them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What are you like at kick turns? Do you have the hip flexibility to kick turn a ski longer than body length?

Snowheads seem to encourage people towards skis at the longer range of what is acceptable, but elsewhere opinions differ. This article suggests height -5cm for easy kick turns...

http://www.valthorens.com/en/live/news/news-detail/how-to-choose-your-touring-skis.378.a764.html

Similarly another website ( http://www.cosleyhouston.com/silvretta-eq-list.htm ) has this to say...

"Dynastar Cham - The "Cham 2.0" line of skis from Dynastar includes several models. The most usefull for touring are the 87mm, 97mm and 107mm widths ..... Avoid the temptation to buy long with these skis. Anything longer than you are tall, is too long. Kick turns are much more difficult in an overly long ski, and the actual additional flotation is negligible".
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Oceanic,

Despite what I said - if it is a pure touring ski, I'd agree that head height is probably the best length (although if that were the case then I would go lighter than Cham 107s). But if you are using it for combined duties - touring and more regular lift-served off piste - then longer might be better. I probably do 6 days lift served for every day I am making kick turns so optimising for kick turns would be getting my priorities wrong.

I've done multi-day hut to hut tours on trad 184s, 186s with tip rocker and (relatively) short tails are (quite a lot) easier to kick turn (I'm about 176). I'm not a very experienced tourer but even I found that once you get a little used to kick turns ski length is less of an issue than you might think, mainly because you can pull your heel down hill before you flip the tip over. I'm not particularly flexible.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oceanic, you are correct in your comments, and i rather missed the touring aspect.
178s for pure downhill, but maybe shorter for touring.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for all your advice; I just need to flex the credit card now
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy