Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere flat spots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know Claviere well?

We're off to Montgenevre on 2nd January. Went there once before in 2010 and spent a lot of time on the Italian side of the border. I have particularly painful memories of one (or maybe more) long, long and very flat approach to Claviere which required a ridiculous amount of poling. Looking at the piste map I think it might have been the blue run numbered 91 from the top of La Coche chair lift. Can anyone confirm this and maybe share their knowledge on how to reach Claviere without burning triceps?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think that was the only flat point. TBH I preferred the skiing and infrastructure on the French side when we stayed in Claviere
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed - but the beer's cheaper in Italy. Thanks for the response.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There was quite a bit shut when we were there this year, the run over from the top down the claviere was shut, told it was shut due to a court case over it not been marked and a child having an accident. If its all open the link to sansicro is good.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are only a couple of runs I'd avoid in Claviere for being painfully flat.
Blue 100 below Gimont hut, better to go back up the chair to Colle Bercia and down the reds back to resort.
The lower green/blue piste linking Monty to Claviere is the worst, go up over the top of Colletto Verde.
The start of red 94 towards Gimont is fairly dull, from the mid station of the main claviere chair up to Colle Bercia.
Also the runs just above La Coche have a 'down and up' so keep up your speed coming down reds 93 and 93bis.
If heading to San Sicario, take the chair down from Sagna Longa (they usually allow this) otherwise it is a long winding flattish road that seems to go on forever!
I know Claviere fairly well so feel free to ask more questions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@carettam, thanks for the information! We're going to Claviere in March, on Snowboards so possibly even more wary of flat spots than you @MontyBlue

Can anyone recommend any good wide runs there for relative newbies, or any particularly narrow paths to be wary of? Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @carettam, that's great information. I'll keep an eye out for info on the top link to Claviere, @yorkshirelad. Can't find anything on google.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robin_mxx, very few narrow paths tbh. Blue 91 from the lower lift in Claviere is gentle without being flat so a nice warm up. Most of the reds are cruisy so won't be any issue for relative newbies, and on red 93 from Colle Bercia, the steeper section followed by a flat can be avoided if you take the more gentle left fork at the lip to the steep section, that circles the pond. If you want steeper reds, then 97 is a bit steeper, as is 104 from Col Saurel, although this has a flat run out at the end.

@yorkshirelad, I'm not sure which link you are talking about? There are two pistes from Monty to Claviere, the flat green 99 across the golf course at resort level (avoid unless you like poling/scooting!) and the red/black 100 down from Colletto Verde (only attempt if you are fine on steep reds). There is one piste 99bis from Claviere to Monty, which is mostly blue gradient but is marked red as it can be narrowish and you have to cross/traverse a gentle black piste. One week skiers and above are generally fine on it, with guidance. All of these pistes are marked, groomed, etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The one closed was the colletto verde at the top of the eagle. .. even the lift colsaurel was closed as were runs 100 and 104 ...all closed... allegedly due to a court case as a kid was bad,y injured.. people were still going under the warning sign though...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@carettam, great information, thank you Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's still a court case going on. So access to Claviere from Montgenevre will over the golf course. They will be 'pisting' it. You can get a good run if the conditions are right. Avoid deep fresh snow. Otherwise the slopes above Claviere are lovely (and yes, the beer and food are cheaper).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I liked claviere.. nit too keen on montgenvre .
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy