Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring skis recommendation?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the market for some new touring skis but haven't really being paying attention to what is out there nowadays.

I'm mostly doing multi day trips, often ski mountaineering so I want them to be super light but also wide enough to enjoy the powder.

If possible I'd quite like them to be twin tip for backwards fun on the piste every now and then.

Thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are so many available it's where to start, but for sure someone will be along in a minute to recommend whitedot or down carbon ski's. Shocked
Most pure touring skis wont have a twin tip , not that it will stop you skiing backwards, even the slightest of tail rise is enough.

Are you going the whole hog with tech bindings & boots?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks... Well I use Fritschi free ride bindings at the moment and was going to get some Dynafit but keep my existing Scarpa boots.

So ideally Dynafit with brakes and ski crampons. I'm happy with the Fritschis at the moment but thinking Dynafit purely for weight purposes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
northcave wrote:
Thanks... Well I use Fritschi free ride bindings at the moment and was going to get some Dynafit but keep my existing Scarpa boots.

So ideally Dynafit with brakes and ski crampons. I'm happy with the Fritschis at the moment but thinking Dynafit purely for weight purposes.

K2 Wayback 88, Atomic Backland or Fischer Transalp are all good, lightweight touring skis which can be picked up for around 300 euros if you look hard enough.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
here is a good selection of the larger brands available, not exhaustive but a fair amount there, It's pretty hard to pick a ski for someone else online i'm sure you can appreciate the variables
http://www.sport-conrad.com/en/ski-touring/skis/

also worth looking at the dynafit beasts perhaps or the marker kingpins but at the price beasts are available for i wouldn't pass that up.

To keep the regulars happy you should also check
http://www.downskis.com/ who are a small company but produce some great ski's by all accounts
and https://www.whitedotskis.com/ again another small company with a good choice
and http://thepisteoffice.com/ as they are in the UK and often match or better the larger retailers prices and they post on here so support/help is always forthcoming
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@northcave,
Quote:
I'm mostly doing multi day trips, often ski mountaineering so I want them to be super light but also wide enough to enjoy the powder.
I've just gone for some Blizzard Zero-G 95, with G3 ion bindings.
Yet to ski them, but reviews on the interweb are very positive snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Twintips SUCK for touring - it's really nice to be able to easily stick the tails into the snow, whether when taking skins off or cheating on steep kick turns.

I really like the older slightly wider version of these (107mm): http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-104-181cm-2016

I do have a bias, but they've been great for everything from chasing powder, couloirs, and high altitude multi day stuff.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:

K2 Wayback 88, Atomic Backland or Fischer Transalp are all good,.

I used to tour on Backlands, but I've changed to skis with a 95mm waist and more rocker. I much prefer them. I suspect that my preferences are different to yours because I'm not as good at skiing as you are and consequently need some extra help in heavy wind blown snow.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oceanic wrote:
davidof wrote:

I used to tour on Backlands, but I've changed to skis with a 95mm waist and more rocker. I much prefer them. I suspect that my preferences are different to yours because I'm not as good at skiing as you are and consequently need some extra help in heavy wind blown snow.

Such as ? Exactly what I am considering!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mishmash wrote:

Mine are Black Diamond Reverts, I believe the newer European made version is called the Link 95.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scott Superguide 95 + Scott's pre-cut skins (which are the excellent Colltex mohair/synthetic mix camlock Whizz skins) + Dynafit Radical ST 105mm. Excellent kit, sensible money.

Simples.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mishmash wrote:
Oceanic wrote:
davidof wrote:

I know quite a lot of very very good skiers who are now touring on 95mm skis. Lionel Tassan (who some here will know) skis something like that for his everyday touring ski. I think he binned everything narrower Happy. You can get skis that wide < 3kg, which is in the sweet spot for touring but to do that they are generally more fragile (thinner edges etc), if you can live with that.

I had some 100mm skis a few season back, 3100 grammes the pair, 3.6kg with bindings, but they made it just too easy. I could ski from the top to bottom of my local hill (1500m descent) in a few minutes. If I had a helicopter it would be great fun but after 2 hours+ climbing....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@northcave, i have the new dynastar mythic 97 , they are great , light at 1.4 kg for touring , but with the same ski profile as the cham 2 they are really really good in all conditions on the down .

http://www.dynastar.com/product/mythic-97
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@northcave, @Dabber,

Dynastar Cham 2.0 97 with vipec bindings , a great combo for touring and off piste but still great for messing around on piste with the kids . Cannot recommend more highly .
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all. Some great suggestions there!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy