Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski's/Snowboard rubbing on jacket whilst carrying

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but having just ordered a new jacket I was wondering if anyone has any particular tips to avoid the shoulder getting roughed up when carrying skis (sometimes the edges seem to cause the material to bobble a bit over time)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@vjmehra, If you lock/link the ski brakes together, and carry your skis flat rather than on edge you shouldn't have a problem. I can't say I've ever noticed shoulder damage on any of my jackets in approx 100 weeks of skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its not very major, just a bit of bobbling, no ripping or anything like that! But if I compare shoulders, one is slightly more bobbled after a few sessions, as even carrying them as you suggest, occasionally there is a bit of friction with the limited bit of edge that comes into contact with the jacket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need a nice piece of chamois leather.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah yeah, that actually is a good idea, could do the trick!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Everything can be fixed with duct tape.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A Sherpa should cure the problem Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We here @ bansko -sports show our guests how to lock skis together , then use poles to make a carry handle
Very easy to carry then
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@vjmehra, Ya need to worry about bigger things . . . ie: to take it to extremes . . . Someone who can rip all the mountain in any condition could wear a soiled nappy and a bin bag and still be cooler that someone who's worried about a bit of "bobbled" wear on a shoulder . . .
Go get some lessons; Having a life is NOT kvetching about minuscule sartorial indiscretions . . . though if that is what is important within your social grouping, you may want to take a hard look at your peers and come onna "Bash".

... I really am getting soft in my old age rolling eyes That OP deserved a dam good skewering Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Slightly confused Masque, what exactly is wrong with not wanting to ruin a jacket if there is a simple solution? It's hardly an offensive question!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It was never a good idea!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
vjmehra wrote:
Slightly confused Masque, what exactly is wrong with not wanting to ruin a jacket if there is a simple solution? It's hardly an offensive question!

Or an offensive reply. Me, I'm thinking that you can probably either buy insurance, or some sort of newbie gizmo, which will prevent or ameliorate this rude damage to your much loved jacket.

Most people would just buy a new jacket. If you find they wear out too quickly, then buy better jackets, although don't whine that they cost more.

Or try the heli ski pose: drag them with the tails on the ground. But don't forget that you must not wear the same jacket two days in a row.

Or take up snowboarding. I guess this thread reminds me of what to me are some of the downsides of two planks.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it really that difficult to understand why I would not want a jacket to get damaged?

For the record I do board, but occasionally ski, hence the question.

Maybe if you have never scuffed up a jacket with skis you need to sharpen your edges more Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was distraught to find myself suffering this problem. My top-tip is to simply strip to the waist whilst skis are on shoulder. Hope that helps wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I scuffed up my jacket with a snowboard and was so f@cked off I complained to the manufacturer. They ended up giving a credit for a new jacket but had to be purchased within 2 weeks. Not much available at the time or for the right price. I did find something then sold it on ebay. Still have the jacket so I'll probably tape it for this season. Anyone know of a good tape to tape the seam damage?
ski holidays
@vjmehra, five minutes with this Bobble/Lint remover from poundland and you'll be strutting your stuff with confidence again!!
snow conditions
The wonders of modern technology Happy
ski holidays
The perfect opportunity to post, once again, this little gem..

http://youtube.com/v/sU5cftDHOqo

Got to be a bobbling-free option in there somewhere...
snow report
Has no-one else really experienced the sheer terror of bobbling?

I still have PTSD from my last ski trip...
ski holidays
Easy... ski more, walk less. Wink
snow report
banskosports wrote:
We here @ bansko -sports show our guests how to lock skis together , then use poles to make a carry handle
Very easy to carry then

The Texas Suitcase. Obviously now also the Bansko Suitcase.
latest report
@vjmehra, I've little time so I'll play nice. Look, you can buy jackets with reinforced shoulders, these are 'expedition' garments designed to survive heavy packs and rope wear. They are expensive and look ridiculous for casual skiing. You could simply watch other people and learn how to carry, you could buy a decent small backpack and use the straps to carry your kit. Any jacket is going to be dripped on with the greasy black sludge from the lift mechanism, and in my case may well be besmirched by blood, beer and or vomit.

Sartorial elegance should not be a priority when having fun . . . unless you have access to some VERY fancy condoms . . . a bit of wear is just a mark of experience and not something to worry about let alone ask a public forum.

PS. I'm not good enough to wear a bin bag . . . the diaper on the other hand is more a matter of necessity.

Happy sliding, John

PS, if you want good on-piste dress sense, Mr. Pink (real name) is the gentleman to ask.
ski holidays
It's not about dress sense or 'looking good', its about ruining a jacket, it doesn't matter if its £5, £50 or £500 it surely makes sense to avoid damaging something if possible?

It was just a simple question...ski edges cause bobbling on jackets in my experience, I was simply asking how to avoid it, not a particularly complex topic, if the answer is that its inevitable so be it, but quite why you've decided this is about 'looking good' is a bit odd, it was a practical question, if there is no practical answer that's cool, I was only asking (and yes from what people have said I carry them the same way as everyone else...I didn't actually realise there was another way, however looking at my shoulder I can still see skuff marks on one and not on the other). Maybe it was a particularly weird set of edges (I hire), or something, I have no idea!
snow report
OK so a couple of options;
1) grip both skis in one hand and carry as though they were a briefcase, you will need a good grip and strong forearms to carry for any length of time and the edges will wreck your gloves.
2) Carry on your shoulder but as opposed to the edges resting on your shoulder rest the foot plate, you need to make sure that the skis are the right way round otherwise the top one is prone to slide off.

My preferred method for anything but the longest carry is options #1, I accept I will buy a new pair of gloves every season and you can very easily carry 2 pairs (one in each hand).
snow report
Yeah, I have wrecked a pair of gloves with edges before too...maybe I'm just rubbish at carrying things!

Cool, will try option 2 though, makes sense!
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I wonder how lomg it would be before someone posted this vid Toofy Grin
latest report
@vjmehra, http://www.bowtieproducts.com/products/bowtie-fat-ski-carrier-straps/

Honestly some people on here are so not helpful, above is the obvious solution.
ski holidays
@vjmehra, Honestly mate, I know that we're all anxious to get the season underway properly, but i really think you may be over thinking this. I get it, you don't want to trash a new jacket, but a couple of scuffs on a shoulder isn't the end of the world. BUT you could always:
* Limit how much you carry your skis - get a locker near the lifts
* carry the skis base or footplate down rather than edges, hold them securely so that they don't move around
* place your beanie \ buff or a rag between your shoulder and ski
* use an alternative carry method- sling, rucksack, bankso briefcase etc..

Or even, just don't sweat it its not a real problem. I've been wearing my Marmot Freeride shell for the last 4 seasons and i can't honestly say that I've never noticed any damage to either shoulder.... but on the other hand, I don't think I've ever looked.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think this thread could have ended rather effectively at the first person to respond MTFU.

Skis not really a problem - snowboard, yeah this is definitely a thing but then my Jackets don't survive that long ( what with getting shredded in the back, bloodstained down the front etc etc for a bit of underarm distressing to be that noticeable.)
ski holidays
@vjmehra, WTF.

Why would your edges be on your jacket?

Learn to carry your skis properly.

Also, do not hold knife like pen.
latest report
Have you tried upping the budget, ski to door solves this problem.

Or bubble wrap.
snow report
under a new name wrote:

Also, do not hold knife like pen.

You were doing OK till this bit wink
snow conditions
I, too, have suffered the sudden and sinking realisation that my jacket shoulder was scuffed. I was on the chair lift and glanced over to see the dreaded bobbles! What could I do about it? Soon I would be getting off the chair lift and my bobbled shoulder would be there in full gaze for all to see and mock ....

.... but then I was distracted by something shiny! SNOW! The breathtaking sight of acres of glistening virgin snow, with the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau in the background kind of took my mind off my jacket.

Please excuse my facetious beginning to my reply. I just wanted to play too. I'm actually with you on this, and I was a bit miffed when I first noticed it on a ski jacket, but I think it's just inevitable, sadly.

But, seriously, look at the view! The gear is just a way of getting you up into the mountains without freezing to death, surely? I have to confess most of my gear has picked up a battle scar or two, and this year I have been faced with the stark choice: buy new gear or actually go skiing! So I will wear my slightly battered gear with pride, and forget it all when I'm stood at the top of that first slope.

(although when I'm curled up in a heap at the bottom of the first slope I might want to re-consider!)

Happy skiing, snow-heads!
snow conditions
@musher, i have no idea what you mean. wink
snow report
I have just looked at my old Columbia jacket which I must have used for at least thirty weeks skiing and I cannot see any marks at all on the shoulders from carrying skis. As I ski off piste wherever possible, it means that I largely do not go to resorts with ski in and ski out accommodation, plus the fact that in accessing off piste routes and walking out at the end, I probably have my skis on my shoulder far more often than someone who is predominantly piste skiing.

That suggests that the OP is having problems through not carrying his skis correctly. I don't think I can exactly describe it here, but if you carry your skis sloping and slightly tucked into your neck then they should not move about.
snow conditions
I'd like to be the first to recommend lessons.

Closely followed by a trip to the boot fitter.

Do remember the thinner your socks the better.

That should cure all ills.
snow conditions
Thanks for some of the actually serious tips Happy

And also for the rest of them wink
snow report
I have two jackets, some idustrial Scott jacket that will not wear out, and a louche Moncler for the smart apres look.

Yeah right.
snow conditions
Hmm now i gotta go check all my ski jackets. What exactly are these bobble things anyway?
Oh and i might recommend you bring this question and your credit cards to Cortina fashion weekend dec 8-10 👍http://www.cortinadolomiti.eu/en/cortina-fashion-weekend/
snow report
Googled "shoulder bobbles", got this:

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy