Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn 2016/17

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday johnbarr and I enjoyed a good day's skiing in the Ski Circus, starting out from Leogang. We started with a few runs on the Leogang side. The piste was open down to the middle station of the Asitz gondola and we looked at the new reservoir which has been built (with some piste changes) just above that middle station...

As you can see, the reservoir has been used, producing a good covering of artificial snow on the piste, though there is little off the prepared area. The pistes were pretty hard-packed to start with but softened as the day warmed up. Here's another view on the Leogang side, looking down over Leogang's upper ski area from the top of the Asitzmulden chairlift...

We soon moved over to the Glemmtal/Saalbach side of the Asitz, where a circuit was available down to the middle station of the new Schönleiten gondola which was running for the first time. And very good it was too. All was very quiet and mostly we had a private cabin to ourselves - with seat Laughing . This view is taken looking up to the top station of the new lift with the Wildenkarhütte beside it...

We had lunch at the Wildenkarhütte, where Christmas decorations were being put up, and we saw deer...

But no, not just this couple in the hut, we also saw a group of four or more live deer run across under the Schönleiten lift. We enjoyed several circuits round using the new gondola and the Polten chairlift. In the afternoon the temperature was shown as 14.7°C at the Polten lift but the snow on the pistes was still very skiable.

An excellent day's skiing, though restricted to some artificial snow pistes. Here is a final view looking up the Glemmtal from the Wildenkarkogel. It looks as though the pistes have been prepared on the Bernkogel/Sunliner area, so I imagin they will open for skiing next weekend at the official opening of the area.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Today johnbarr and I, this time joined by another friend, were back skiing in the Glemmtal. And a great day it was. We started again from Leogang and this was the view first thing looking towards the top of the Asitz from beside the top station of the Asitz gondola...

And so the weather remained all day, blue cloudless skies and sun, quite warm at times but with temperatures under zero in the shade. After one run on the Leogang side we quickly moved over to the Glemmtal. The pistes were entirely artificial snow but in perfect condition, mostly hard-packed but like skiing on velvet where there was fresh snow just blown out from a cannon, many of which were operating.

It was possible to ski down the whole length of the Schönleiten piste. Looking across the valley from that piste 61a it was clear that the Jausern piste 2b wasn't skiable yet, though the snow cannons were blasting out there too. This meant a big circuit wasn't possible...

At the bottom of the run we found a new magic carpet after the tunnel under the road. Every comfort and the entrance hall of the bottom station of the new Schönleiten lift is more like a palace...

Our route took us up the Magic 6er chairlift beside the Bergeralm, cannons to right of us, cannons to left of us...

After crossing through Saalbach to the Bernkogel and Reiter-Ost, we skied over to Fieberbrunn. Here is a view looking down from the top station of the Lärchfilzen chairlift...

Fieberbrunn has installed more snow cannons this year, both on the Doischberg piste F8 (which has also been widened slightly and re-aligned) and on the Reckmoos Süd F12. This photo is looking down the latter, with the Vierstadlalm piste F14, connecting Fieberbrunn and Hinterglemm, on the other side of the valley...

Back in the Glemmtal after lunch at the Pulvermacher Scherm, near the middle station of the TirolS gondola, we were able to ski on to the Hochalm above Hinterglemm. Looking across the valley from there the run down from the Schattberg West shown in the photo below looked tempting but we preferred to stay on the sunnier slopes on the northern side of the valley for our return journey...

And as the Zwölfer Nord piste 14 wasn't open, we left the other side of the Glemmtal for another day. We skied back with another run to the bottom of the Schönleiten piste and finished our day about four o'clock, taking the bottom section of the Asitz gondola to reach the Leogang valley. Here's the day's Skiline to show that there was plenty of skiing available...

A great day. Beautifully quiet with empty pistes - fantastico!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the update looking forward to hitting there in Jan, hopefully by then it'll be completely white with all runs open.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good pix.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great photo's and great update!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@espri, Thanks for this - very encouraging. We'll be there on Saturday! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jafa and I had a great day's skiing here today, another bluebird day with blue skies and sun. We started out from Fieberbrunn and this was the view from the top of the Doischberg, looking over to the Marokka/Henne and the Lärchfilzkogel...

On our way over to the TirolS gondola, the link to Hinterglemm/Saalbach, we were able to admire the new snow cannons on the Reckmoos Süd piste.

They are doing good work there, though in the Fieberbrunn area only some of the lower runs are open, e.g. the Streuböden gondolas aren't operating yet.

However, there was plenty of skiing to be had over in the Glemmtal and we skied through Saalbach and along to Leogang, enjoying the run down to the new Schönleiten lift. The Steinbergbahn gondola in Leogang was running and we were able to ski down to the valley. There, though, everything was in the clouds which made the last few hundred metres to the valley station interesting...

And this was the view going back up the Steinbergbahn...

We were soon back in the sun and, after hot chocolate at the Chicken Man, skied back to Saalbach. There we went up the Schattberg and then skied on to Hinterglemm, with my first ride in the new 12er Express gondola, short but sweet, and carrying your skis inside with ski holders in the floor, something I haven't seen before...

The Zwölfer Nord piste wasn't officially open (though I did see a couple of skiers appearing at the bottom), so we didn't go up the Zwölferkogel. That meant that on the way back to the return piste to Fieberbrunn, the Vierstadlalm piste F14, we had time for extra runs on the Hochalm 6er and Hasenauer chairlifts. We reached the TirolS gondola with about fifteen minutes to spare before its 15:30 closing time.

The snow had been in general in good condition. In the afternoon it was softening where it was in the sun (temperatures over 11°C were displayed) but was also hard and somewhat scraped on some steeper slopes.

However, after a strenuous day, we were back in Fieberbrunn about four o'clock. A good day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Away from the artificial snow, the hills are all green ...

https://www.snoweye.com/?resort=at_saalbach

Maybe I was lucky on my one and only visit to Saalbach but this time 4 years ago, conditions were very different.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2180506&highlight=saalbach#2180506
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
On our way home now Crying or Very sad there was a very light dusting of snow over night. Snow cannons looked to be running above the mid station so it must have cooled down a bit over night.

We've had a great week skiing again. No complaints about the lack of real snow from us.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gosh moffatross, that looks rather sad. Hope things improve soon. I'm meant to be skiing there in a few weeks Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moffatross, and @Raven, Hopefully that picture is of historical interest only. After a couple of days of "foehnig" weather (warm, southerly wind and drizzly rain), it's now turned cold again. As we skied down around 5pm it was snowing and the snow cannons were all roaring away. One unfortunate consequence of the sudden drop in temp is that the pistes were very icy today. It's snowing quite heavily at present and looks as though it's set to continue tonight and possibly for some or all of tomorrow (at least that's what the forecast says). It seems fairly certain that it will be white over tomorrow. It bears repeating however that the piste skiing has been excellent throughout December - and certainly since we arrived on 10th Dec - unless you're an off-piste powder hound, you'd have been favourably impressed.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great news TT, we're there a week today and was starting to get a bit worried. Looking forward to hopefully seeing a sea of white on the webcams tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.skiline.cc/skiing_day/95becj2q6kl
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton, Absolutely no danger of me trying to beat that impressive feat!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tatman's Tours, yes, it's only really of historical interest and I can see that Saalbach Hinterglemm isn't looking any worse than anywhere else in Europe at similar altitudes and a lot better in fact than many other places that just look ugly as hell without a blanket of white. The resort runs that are even open in the French and and Swiss resorts I've skied at a similar time of the year appear as horrid white strips on brown on their webcams and they're unlikely to improve any time soon. You at least have useful snow coming over the next 7-10 days ... the ECM model suggests up to 60 cm ! Have a great season Happy
snow report
@moffatross,
Quote:

Have a great season

You too! Smile
snow report
If you like your on piste skiing then I can tell you Saalbach is in great shape and you'll enjoy your skiing here, no need to worry about conditions.

It may look a bit bare when you travel up a few gondolas and lifts but when you are on the slopes they are well covered, the canons have done a great job. It's certainly not a slither of white through the green and brown.

There's obviously a big dump due to come in a few days which should make the village look like a ski resort.

First time here in Saalbach but the kids love it already, lots of easy skiing on wide open well groomed pistes, didn't get too mogully this afternoon which was a bonus.
ski holidays
Been in Fieberbrunn since last Friday. Then the pistes were generally good, but a bit scraped and icy in places. The amount of ice steadily increased through the week until yesterday when the fresh snow arrived. Skiing conditions have been quite difficult yesterday and today due to high winds, poor viz and lots of deep snow everywhere. It's still snowing now - about 30cm of accumulation in the village and god knows how much up on the mountain. It's going to be awesome when the storm lifts tomorrow!
snow conditions
Been tipping it down with snow all evening in Saalbach.
snow report
In Fieberbrunn too. Here's a view of the Streuböden piste there...

But that was last Saturday, Hogmanay. We skied Fieberbrunn again today and this was the view...

Not so much sun - but much more snow. What a difference one day can make!

Today the link to Saalbach-Hinterglemm was closed (because of a gale warning), so we stayed on the Fieberbrunn slopes. There had been about 30cm of new snow overnight and it continued to snow all day. The main problem I had was the pretty poor visibility but the snow was great. We spent most of our time on the Reckmoos Süd piste. This is how the Hochhörndler Hütte by that piste looked...

An interesting day's skiing.
ski holidays
Thanks eveyone for your reports & updates. Saalbach website reports 25cm fresh snow yesterday. Mountain depth 80cm, valley depth 50cm
snow report
@jimmybog, I really don't know how they measure the depths. The general consensus here is that we've had quite a sizeable dump over the last two days. The headline figure on saalbach.com is 40cm of new snow, but when you look at the snow report they say 10cm on lower slopes and 25cm on upper. When I look out of the window at our lawn, the roofs of cars and the roof of the neighbour's shed, it looks like at least 30cm has fallen at village level. I would say that the headline figure of 40cm is more credible than the fairly measly 10cm on lower slopes being given on the snow report. Perhaps the snow report has yet to be updated.
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
@jimmybog, I really don't know how they measure the depths. The general consensus here is that we've had quite a sizeable dump over the last two days. The headline figure on saalbach.com is 40cm of new snow, but when you look at the snow report they say 10cm on lower slopes and 25cm on upper. When I look out of the window at our lawn, the roofs of cars and the roof of the neighbour's shed, it looks like at least 30cm has fallen at village level. I would say that the headline figure of 40cm is more credible than the fairly measly 10cm on lower slopes being given on the snow report. Perhaps the snow report has yet to be updated.

The "40cm headline" was on the site yesterday morning, meaning it was for the snow that fell Wednesday and overnight into Thursday. I assume that the report today of 10cm and 25cm is for the snow that fell yesterday and possibly overnight. Does seem like a low amount though as I was watching the webcams and radar yesterday and I couldnt see any letup all day. At times on the Asitzbrau mountain station webcam it was absolutely chucking it down with snow. Thus I was shocked too when I saw the 10cm and 25cm amounts. Obviously far better to get first hand reports from sources such as yourself. Keep the updates coming!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
There was at least 10cm on top of my car from about 11pm last night till this morning. So that's just 10cm overnight. Plenty more fell yesterday. Suns just breaking through...
snow report
The Saalbach website nows says depths of 50cm on the lower slopes and 65cm on the middle slopes with 80cm on the upper slopes - obviously takes a little time to catch up!
snow conditions
Just booked a last minute to Fieberbrunn arriving Sunday. Getting v excited, haven't been to Austria for years. Should I bring the fatties?
ski holidays
LOTA wrote:
The Saalbach website nows says depths of 50cm on the lower slopes and 65cm on the middle slopes with 80cm on the upper slopes - obviously takes a little time to catch up!

It said that at 8am this morning and thats what I stated in my earlier post. The 10cm & 25cm I was talking about is fresh snowfall (which others have already mentioned seems to be a tad low to what actually fell yesterday/overnight). None of the figures have changed on their site since I looked at 8am
snow conditions
Felt to me like at least 40cm fresh maybe 40-60cm. Pistes were in great shape though the bank holiday and new snow seemed to have brought a lot of people onto the slopes. Off piste a hoot, but with no base, so rocks and branches were there to be found if you looked and indeed if you didn't! Place looked fantastic with snow in trees and beautiful sunset! Cold though!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Cold though!!

You can say that again! Shocked
latest report
Looks like at least 10cm fresh on the ground in the valley in Hinterglemm, still snowing snowHead I'm in Hinterglemm.
ski holidays
Currently snowing lightly, looks like 5-10cm so far on the balconometer.
latest report
Moderate snow (2500mi vis) since 1900 this evening snowHead
snow report
I had a excellent day's skiing yesterday with johnbarr and another friend, skiing from Fieberbrunn over to Hinterglemm and then doing the Ski Circus anti-clockwise. The weather was overcast with rather flat light initially but the sun came out beautifully in the afternoon. Here we are on the Hochalm, going down piste 26...

Once we had crossed the valley we found the slopes on the Zwölferkogel busier but not everywhere. We took the slight detour to the Seekar T-bar and enjoyed one quiet run down from there. Then we had lunch at the Xandl Stadl, the first time I had eaten there. I found the hut attractive and it wasn't too busy when we visited. This is the view from the restaurant, looking out onto piste 11a...

Continuing, this is the view out of the Westgipfel gondola, looking back towards Hinterglemm. Down in the valley, a little way beyond the bottom station of the Westgipfelbahn, you can see all of the short new 12er Express gondola with its top and bottom stations (the top station just next to the Xandl Stadl)...

Continuing round the Circus I found the snow on the long piste 2b down to the Schönleiten gondola the best that I can ever remember, helped by the fact that it wasn't very busy. With an extra run on the Schönleitenbahn down piste 61/61a, we were back at the TirolS link to Fieberbrunn with about quarter of an hour to spare (and in it a friendly German shared a Schnaps with us Smile).

All in all, a fine strenuous day's skiing.
latest report
Started snowing moderately at 6.00am, all the ski circus links are currently closed due to 40mph winds, hopefully a let up later in the wind.
ski holidays
At least shin deep on piste, cracking few hours up on piste as ski mate decided to lie in.

Now started snowing again.
snow report
Just started snowing again and will last till late afternoon. For anybody coming out today, you are going to have a great week, conditions are perfect snowHead
ski holidays
Coming over Wednesday. Can't wait. Looks like the sun will be out when we get there too. The hinter hag is already pencilled in for each evening!!
latest report
Dumping down in Fieberbrunn all day. The off piste is in great shape with very few sharks. Windy on the tops but fantastic in the trees. Had an amazing week- hardly needed to ski on piste and fresh tracks every day.
ski holidays
mattiwilkin wrote:
Coming over Wednesday. Can't wait. Looks like the sun will be out when we get there too. The hinter hag is already pencilled in for each evening!!

Hope you have been practising the actions for "Cowboys und Indianer"
snow report
Sunshine today but cold so hero snow on Piste and soft power off. Perfect!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy