Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WARNING - Easyjet ski/board carriage

Poster: A snowHead
carled, so, rather than go through the airline, how about you go out and buy your own aviation fuel as well, I mean, we don't want the airline to make any money on it either now, do we?
And that aircraft, you could cut out the airline there too, and lease one.
And the cabin crew, bring your own... rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
carled, so, rather than go through the airline, how about you go out and buy your own aviation fuel as well, I mean, we don't want the airline to make any money on it either now, do we?
And that aircraft, you could cut out the airline there too, and lease one.
And the cabin crew, bring your own... rolling eyes

Or just fly with someone else who doesn't charge extra for over-size baggage (which is what carled recommended in similar circumstances on another thread). Much easier than setting up your own airline...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now you're just being muppets because you haven't got a valid argument. Do try and come up with something I haven't already covered.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
carled, sorry? You were saying that you wanted to pay baggage handlers direct for the service they did, rather than pay those money-grabbing airlines, so I was just wondering where your very logically thought out argument was going next!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, If you're playing to your crowd, clap clap. If you're actually trying to debate the issue, your argument is, IMHO, hopeless. Certain parts of air travel are the same for everyone and certain parts aren't . You can work out the difference.

You persistently try and score points in this argument through throw-away lines, supposed witticisms and ignorance any of my arguments that don't fit the current pigeon hole that you're trying to fit me in. You know that the low-cost airlines only brought these charges in in recent years, that they haven't altered anything on their baseline prices to accommodate it and the chances are massive that they are pocketing the entire £15 themselves. It's just another punter tax and this punter isn't going to idly stand by and let them get away with it without a considerable fight.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
carled, what parts aren't the same? Oh yeah, the overall price you pay, and the level of service you get.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just checked on BA, and I can get return flights to Turin for 49 quid plus tax
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weigh The Hat Box and carled, is this a private dispute or can anyone join in?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, well, it appears I'm playing to a crowd, so, please, join in. I wonder where the rest are?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, Yeah... IF I go from Gatwick and IF I don't travel on the weekend I'm going... 9th - 16th April is £131 from Gatwick. As Gatwick is about halfway to the alps for me, it's a) not very convenient and b) a bit pricey, like double the price I paid. Don't see how this is relevant to me complaining about the low-cost carriers trying to fleece people with inflated handling charges though...

Cue abuse about how as I got the return flights for £60 what am I complaining about, etc... thus demonstrating the proof that some people are just missing the point...

No no no, David Goldsmith, feel free to pile in on either side of the maul. Just keep your hands off the ball unless you stay on your feet, ok?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled wrote:
Cue abuse about how as I got the return flights for £60 what am I complaining about, etc... thus demonstrating the proof that some people are just missing the point...

Well, the expression "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" does spring to mind. You seem to have the view that commercial organisations are obliged to produce offers that match your requirements and your sensibilities exactly, and once having structured offers in a particular way should never change their business model. I'm afraid the best that you can hope for is to have a choice and take whatever offer is best at the time.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled, try Coventry, it's not that far from Leicester. Admittedly they fly to Lyon but a 2hr drive gets you to Italy. I know that in some cases you may be stuck for a carrier I have Difficult Jet and Rhino air in Liverpool but with a bit of effort you can get around them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks halfhand, I have my eye on them for future trips, but they were too expensive this time around! They also charge for sports equipment and they actually specify snowboards too... Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

How much does a litre of milk cost Tescos?

Well we are lucky to get 18p a litre of the farm. And tesco are selling it ay 64p litre.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carled, careful you don't get too carried away at checkin: they might completely refuse to carry you (let alone the snowboard!) and just refund you your ticket just to get rid of you! At best, you might get the £30 refunded through small claims (although you might get a magistrate who thinks you're being a bit picky and deciding against you), and then EasyJet will just add "snowboard" into their T&C's, so although you may win the battle, you'll almost certainly lose the war!

Now I'm all for the individual standing up against the big companies, but I have to say that in my experience EJ are pretty reasonable and straightforward compared to some other companies, and I can't help feeling that you might be getting yourself (and possibly others) stressed more than its worth. Up to you I guess, and I'm sure we'd all like to hear how you get on.

Chill out everyone!

Cheers,

Ant
snow report
carled, surprised. Sod off jet Liverpool-Geneva-Liverpool for 4 people sunday flights £1000. Thomsonfly Coventry-Lyon-Coventry £440 and that was at half-term. The Thompson flight prices didn't seem to change much over the months. Booked the flights around November. Mind how you go but above all have a good trip!
latest report
Good grief people, I'm not planning on charging in with an Uzi or something!! All I'm going to do is casually saunter up (once I've casually queued for an hour or so) and, when they ask me what luggage I have to check in, place the snowboard bag on the scales. At this point I have little doubt that they'll ask me if I pre-booked and when I look blankly at them and say, "but this is just my suitcase - it happens to fit a snowboard in there too, but it's my case and it's under your weight limit" and they say, "but it's a snowboard bag sir and they cost £15 each way..." I shall point out to them the printout of their baggage information I have with me where it doesn't mention snowboards, I shall also point out that the bloke standing next to me is a contract lawyer and that if they want to charge for snowboards they have to put it on their booking conditions and if they force us to pay the money, we will inevitably recover it via small claims court along with costs and it's therefore in their best interests not to play silly bugs. All will be done with a smile on my face and a song in my heart, of course.

At this point one of two things will happen. They'll either go, "OK then... just this once..." (highly unlikely) or they'll call for the supervisor, who will get shirty and basically say, "pay up or we don't carry the boards." And at that point we will give in and just recover the money from them via the courts. I may even get a pre-printed letter for them to sign stating that they understand that by forcing us to pay the charge they will now be faced with a claim for the money back plus costs. If it looks legal enough, they might take the hint and give it up as a bad job. However, knowing the militant sorts that tend to get promoted to supervisor at Easyjet (judging by the Airline programme) we're more likely to get short shrift... but I can console myself with the knowledge that they cannot defend a court action on their current T's & C's (don't bother arguing you lot, I trust my mate who does this for a living far more than I trust any of your bewildered opinions...)

Don't worry - if it looks like getting long-winded at check in, I will gladly move to one side to argue with the supervisor to allow those behind to carry on checking in. I also won't get het up as my day to day job requires me to deal with more imbeciles than you would find in a crystal's chalet staff convention and I don't rile easily... Little Angel
ski holidays
carled, there is a third possibility - which is they simply refuse to carry your bag because you're being difficult about it. That's what I would do if I was presented with the pre-printed letter you describe. Their Ts&Cs clearly permit them to refuse the baggage due to its size. What will you do then?

Why not simply accept that, just like for skis, Easyjet charge extra for carrying snowboards?
ski holidays
Alastair, that's too easy to get around to be true. If they claim that a snowboard is unacceptable due to size/shape/weight then I'll point out the others in the check in queue already (always assuming there is at least one...) and if they allow a longer, thinner item (skis) by the terms of their booking conditions, then how can they refuse a snowboard?

It's all down to how you deal with people. Some of you seem to envisage a Victor Meldrew/Basil Fawlty rant here... trust me, that isn't going to happen. Like it or not, I have them on a technicality and if they play silly bugs about it, they will end up paying more through the small claims court. Ultimately I'm happy to leave my board at the airport, hire a board in resort and reclaim the costs from them on return.

This is a point I am making to them about fairness and customer service. My snowboard bag is just a slightly longer, thinner suitcase and in no way could be described as unwieldy, neither it is extra baggage - it's within my limit.
snow report
carled, if it's oversized baggage, then you can rant all you want, but that is how they will see it. You may claim to "have them on a technicality", but they can just refuse to take your bag on board because it is oversized, and you have no comeback. If you complain that others are allowed to take their skis, etc, then they will point out that the others advised them before hand and pre-paid, or will be given the opportunity to pay or leave their baggage at home.
ski holidays
Ah... so paying the fee magically alters the dimensions of the luggage...? I'd like to see them try that one on...
ski holidays
OK... I know you're all desperate to know what went on (!) so here goes...

Arrived at check-in at 9:45 (for 12:00 flight, so check-in wasn't officially open until 10:00). Approached desk and was told that check-in for Turin flight was open. Went and retrieved luggage, including snowboard bag packed with gear. Also took along contract lawyer friend with his two snowboards in one bag.

"How many bags" says the check-in man. "4" I replied - "one for each of us."

Put on each bag in turn, leaving my board for last. Showed bag to him and said, "this will need to go to the oversized baggage bit, won't it?"
"It still needs to be weighed," he replied. I put it on the scales - 17.9 kilos. At this point he said, "Is that sports equipment?" I said, "It's a snowboard bag... it's got my board and all my clothes in there."

He looked puzzled for a moment... "OK... must be a sort of case I've not seen before..." he said and put a label on it.

I'm through, scott-free, no fees to pay.

Next my mate approaches the desk and goes through the same spiel up until the "is that sports equipment?" bit. "Yes." he replies. "It's a snowboard bag." Obviously he was feeling a bit militant...

"Ah... you have to pay for this sir," says the check-in man... At this point I stepped back up to the desk with my ready-printed terms and conditions, but didn't show them to the man yet. I asked him where it said in the terms and conditions that we had to pay for a snowboard. He said that it mentioned skis and I pointed out that it didn't mention snowboards. "But a snowboard is the same as as ski," replies the check-in man. "Try telling that to any skier," I replied.

"I'll have to check with my colleagues," says the man and walks over to his 3 colleagues behind an empty check-in desk. I followed him over and stood by whilst he explained. The rather cocky-looking girl said, "you have to pay - it's the same as skis," to which I re-stated that a snowboard was not the same as a pair of skis and produced the terms and conditions for them to read. All three of them looked at these for a few minutes, then the man there said, "we'll let you off this time, but in future you'll have to pay." "Yeah, that's right," chimed in the cocky girl... "not if you don't change your terms and conditions I won't..." was my parting shot...

End of drama... all checked in - no charges.

Turin airport on the way back? Didn't even weigh the bag - handed me a label and told me to put it on the handle then take it to oversized baggage. No mention of pre-booking or charges at all...
ski holidays
carled, Well done.
Moral of story: Have a fellow holiday maker that is a contract lawyer
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, whether it would have been any more dramatic if the queues were big (never seen Luton so quiet) I don't know... but it was all a sad letdown as far as fights go... wink
ski holidays
carled, typical woman, all upset because you got on without paying but there was no fight NehNeh Wink
ski holidays
Boycott the budget airlines, there not as cheap as people make out .

From BA today .

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/PA_NEWA10128121145521483A000?source=PA%20Feed
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Boycott the budget airlines, there not as cheap as people make out .

From BA today .

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/PA_NEWA10128121145521483A000?source=PA%20Feed

I don't think boycotting is a good idea - the best thing is to shop around and to be aware of what you are buying.
snow conditions
As I read the same story on the BBC site, BA do this every year. Shop around is the best option.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4926532.stm
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Budget airlines - they run the airlines on a tight budget. Not the same as low prices per se. Skullie
ski holidays
I was more interested in the Free Ski Carriage from BA which adds significant costs when flying budget airlines.
latest report
carled, glad it went well and without incident. Interestingly, EJ's faq now refers to skis/snowboards which I don't recall it doing before. Carriers regs only mention skis though. hmmm. I guess they'll update the regs before your next trip though!!

Hope the holiday went well also. Out of interest, how was the transfer? Am thinking of going via Turin rather than Geneva some time, if only for a bit of airport variety!
latest report
Just back from a season in Andorra. Flying Barcelona to Stansted with skis pre payed. When I checked in at Barcelona Sleazy jet charged me agian for my skis claiming that I hadn't pre payed. I didn't have the email with me to prove it and my Spanish isn't good enough to argue the point. Initally the check in lady was going to charge me for excess bagage but then relented and just charged for skis, took her about 15 mins and 5 phone calls tho! Be warned take proof with you that you've paid!
snow conditions
carled, That is a brilliant story thanks. And you were so right in your prediction too. Made me smile for a Fridat afternoon. Geeting depressed at all these snowHead p£****ing off tomorrow and telling us all about it on another thread
ski holidays
carled, well done.

RE BA - note that they are quite clear and fair on their website that these are "Lead-In" prices. I just checked for Geneva August 12th weekend and we're looking at £90 rather than the headline "from" £58...

That said, BA have been cheaper than Easyjet every time I have flown this winter. I like BA better anyway and I like City Airport. NB City flights will apparently resume for next winter. It's just a summer suspension.
snow report
Sure shop around - I do, I don't have any particular loyalty to one Airline depends who's cheapest/available for the airport I want to go to. Couple of points on this though yes easyJet have hiked costs with the sports eqipment surcharge, Ryanair have a 5 kg less (15kg) main baggage allowance than easyJet they also have a sports equipment surcharge (got rumped this season flying out of Turin for excess main bag having gone out by coach)., I have always been screwed at Geneva at the end of seasons because if you are over they will apply the rule book to the letter of the law without any flexibility - it's Switzerland.

I will point out to the carpers that 6/7yrs ago if you wanted to get to Geneva the return flight was generally around GBP 150-180, even in 2003 I wanted a fixed date outbound travel and flexible return date (I wasn't sure how close to the end of the season I was going to stay) BA ticket to Geneva beacause I thought their baggage allowance would be more flexible and the cheapest they would quote me was GBP 340 as it had to be full price economy to be flexible not fixed date. The low cost carriers have massively reduced the average cost of travel within Europe (I paid $220 for a 1 hour return ticket in the US this yr) and the other airlines are now catching up. Great play them off against each other. Booking flexibility has also increased, easy/ryan one way = half the return price. A few years ago if you wanted a one way it could end up being more than a return, never less than 80%. Now as long as you book with week to 2 week notice makes little no/difference to the price, so you can now book ticket to go out for a season then wait to see when you want to come back without getting bent over a check-in desk. Short memories guys and gals.
snow report
snoflake,

Can@t say I've had the same experience on this one

Quote:

I have always been screwed at Geneva at the end of seasons because if you are over they will apply the rule book to the letter of the law without any flexibility - it's Switzerland.

I've never been charged excess baggage or ski carriage on the way back through Geneva, or any other European airport for that matter - in fact they rarely even bother to weigh ski and boot bags (which always contain more than just skis and boots!) Only ever been in the UK where they try and take you for every penny!
latest report
antpj, (and anyone else doing a Turin transfer!) I recommend wholeheartedly going for ATS... BUT don't go through the UK office. I significantly undercut them by going through the Italian office direct. My contact was Massimo, very cheerful and helpful, good sense of humour and arranged everything flawlessly.

His email is massimo@thefirstclass.it and the website is either www.thefirstclass.it or www.ats-italy.net
snow report
carled, whenever i tried them they were mindbogglingly expensive, and a mini-mpv (Scenic) was cheaper for 4 of us, but then there were more of you.
snow report
beanie1 wrote:

I've never been charged excess baggage or ski carriage on the way back through Geneva, or any other European airport for that matter - in fact they rarely even bother to weigh ski and boot bags (which always contain more than just skis and boots!) Only ever been in the UK where they try and take you for every penny!

Had the exact opposite experience last month. No extra charge in Bristol, but charged for ski carriage in Geneva Puzzled
snow report
Just back form the eosb, not a single problem with easyjet on out or back, Got asked at Geneva if I had paid for the ski carriage, I said yes but was never asked for writed proof (which I did have).I like to automated check in.

So overall no problem with Easyjet this trip.

BTW I wouls like to say to the 2 young woman who delayed the flight back;

You are at an Airport
You are there to be on time for a flight.
It's no big suprise you are told when and where to be.
There are more poeple on that flight than you.

Don't be so selfish next time.
And when the staff say dont turn your phone on until in the main airport. It does include you
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy