Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

WARNING - Easyjet ski/board carriage

Poster: A snowHead
I see there are other topics on similar subject, but I thought i'd make this warning obvious !

Just heard from a mate who is flying out on Easyjet today...

He DIDN'T pre-book their boards on, and at check-in was charged the standard rate for board carriage AND they weighed everything and charged them a fiver for every kilo of excess which included the weight of the boards.

In total £65 for the pair of boards.

I don't beleive they would have been charged the excess had they already got the boards pre-booked, but I'm sure i will be corrected if anyone else has a recent experience...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Going with easyjet in March...interesting!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At Xmas, for me and my Girlfriend booked Easyjet. Luton -> Geneva Geneva -> Malaga Malaga -> Luton. Pre booked online, carriage for 1 board bag on all flights. Original plan was to put both our boards into my bag.. but ended up bringing two board bags. Explained at Luton to checkin lady that we had an extra bag... she put both on flight without extra charge.

Geneva to Malaga: explained same thing to check in dude.. he said he had no record of any pre booked carriage. Ended up having to pay for carriage for both.. I would have argued the point but becuase our taxi never turned up at the hotel that morning... we were very late checking in (phew)

Malaga to Luton. Same thing no record of any pre booked carriage.. but the guy put em on for free....

All seems a bit hit and miss to me... guess it's the luck of the draw.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In my experience they would have had to pay even if they had pre-booked. Easyjet seem to regard the pre-payment as a 'handling fee' for the awkward ski/board. They charge you extra for actually carrying it on the plane in addition to this.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. As items of sporting equipment are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines, easyJet is prepared to carry such items on a ‘limited release’ (i.e. entirely ‘at your own risk’ for damage or delay) basis. You may therefore wish to ensure that you have suitable private insurance cover in force for such items. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.

Bicycles, golf equipment, and skis

An additional fee is charged per flight for the carriage of bicycles, golf equipment, and skis.

Currency Per flight
GBP 15.00
Euro 22.50
CHF 34.50
DKK 170.00
CSK 660.00
HUF 5,500.00
SlT 5,300.00
PLN 90.00
SKK 850.00

Is from Easyjets terms and conditions. Your allowed 20kg on your ticket, 50kg max. My reading of this is that the additional fee allows you to carry your ski bag weighing upto 32kg aslong as your total hold baggage is less than 50kg. If easyjet tried to charge me again after prebooking my skibag I would argue (politely) with check in. I would also carry confirmation of the booking with me just in case they denied it (as I did when I carried ski gear on Ryanair - though it wasn't necessary).

If push came to shove and they refused to carry it without further payment, I would pay, write a formal letter of complaint to easyjet. If that didn't get a refund I would take it up with the credit card company saying that the company hadn't delivered what they had contracted to deliver ie carraige of my skibag and see what happened.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
germanwings hast the same rules. I just booked a flight for February and booked one board bag (which holds two boards, shoes and stuff).

Now I just have to find a taxi large enough to get me to the airport.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fly Swiss , its free with them Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fly Swiss , its free with them Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton, unfortunately they don't fly from our airport.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
7th Jan Belfast Geneva and return. no problem at either end getting them on prebooked. Some had 2 pairs kis in one bag. Went on single payment. Only problem was mine didn't arrive home until 2 days later.
Some folk even had seperate boot bags which they got on with no problem, but I would hate to depend on that
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When Easyjet first started out they were the most skier friendly airline I'd ever come across. They carried all my skis and boots that took me over the allowance time and time again Edinburgh to Luton, Luton to Geneva, on full flights, with lots of other skiers with their skis, without ever charging me a penny.

It seems now they've got the skiing market hooked, they've become a little more penny pinching...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They are sleazyjet and they are not low price, but they are low cost. Charge you a huge premium to take skis/boards and then get you to sign a disclaimer at checkin that says they have no responsibilty for the kit they've just charged you a fortune to move. Outrageous behaviour! BA and Swiss are often cheaper.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Although I flew BA Manchester to Nice via Heathrow at New Year and the check in girl did make a fuss about our skis... She let it go without charging us though. I think it was because the first leg wasn't to a ski detination, so there was no one else checking in skis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just came back from Geneva, on the wat out the bag was weighed at 18kg (managed to sit it on the edge of the belt at luton ha ha) on the way home the bag weighed in at 26 kg, it did contain ski boots and a comercial oven! they tryed to charge me 11.50chf per kg total of 69chf (arround £35) when i got to the desk to pay i saw that the sheet also offered ski carrige at 34chf, the in first arument i was told that if i had skis then i would pay this but as i did not i should be charged at the exess baggage rate. took a bit of discussion and a request to see the supervisor and all of a sudden my ski boots were sports equipment again.

there is a useful bit of the warsaw convention that all airlines fly under that states that unless stated in there terms and conditions that there is an extra charge, that they will carry personal sporting goods free of charge, so easyjet have this condition in there t&c's but why do they insist in being so inconsistant...... i have been told so many differnet stories as to allowances and policies over the years, why don't they train all the staff not just some of them. i have actually had a situation where a check in girl was going to let us away with the few kilos extra that we had, until her supervisor game along, disciplined her in front of us and weighed evrey last item including our hand luggage.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just flew back Easyjet from Lyon - the guy in front of us at checkin hadn't pre-paid for his skis. They refused to check him in until he did. This involved him finding the Easyjet desk to make the appropriate payment. By the time he got back to checkin he only had 5 mins to spare before they closed the flight, so a close call...
ski holidays
Sorry to revisit this, but I'm going to be testing them on this in a month's time. Their terms and conditions do not contain the word "snowboard" anywhere... neither does their luggage section specify maximum dimensions. Therefore if I keep below the weight limit in my suitcase, which just happens to be shaped conveniently enough to allow a snowboard to fit in as well as my clothes and they attempt to charge me ANYTHING then I will make sure that there is hell to pay. If they refuse carriage until/unless I pay then I will pay under duress and take them through the small claims court to recover the money on my return.

It's simple enough - if they want to charge for flaming snowboards then they have to get it in their terms and conditions. As I have a printed copy of them from the time of booking, they aren't going to get away with it this year!
ski holidays
carled, When they do charge you remember you're off on holiday, don't let it spoil it - keep your cool. wink
snow report
hi all,

off to grenoble on friday and the thought never entered my mind to find out whether boot bags needed pre-booking. can anyone advise?

thanks
snow conditions
andy b, No they dont need pre booking, but interpreting their rules you could stick them in a carrier bag no greater than 55x40x20cm and take them as hand luggage. You are allowed up to 20 kg hold luggage which is not allowed to be combined with another passenger. i.e if there are 2 of you than dont take 1 large 30kg case.
snow conditions
cheers frosty. off to villard de lans. not one of my friends who ski has ever heard of it. Concerned it doesn't actually exist wink
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, you see, this is what bugs me about them... their enforcement of some rules and ignorance of others. My wife and I recently flew to Turin & back and shared one large case. It was 28 kilos going over and 33 kilos coming back. They made me unpack a bottle of wine I had in there (came in my rucksack instead!) to get below the 32 kilo limit - never a mention of us pooling a luggage allowance.

They haven't got a leg to stand on. If my board bag comes in below 20 kilos (which it will) then one way or another (even if it via the courts back here) I will not pay carriage!
snow conditions
carled, you can pool a luggage allowance (on easyJet), but the maximum weight per bag remains. This is so that some poor baggage handler doesn't put his/her back out and then sue the company.
snow conditions
The time will come when 24kg or less is the maximum accross the board.
ski holidays
carled, I'd be careful if I were you...[url=http://easyjet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easyjet.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=hp7s_Y1i&p_lva=5&p_faqid=13&p_created=1074008019&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1zbm93Ym9hcmQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=] check here[/url]
snow report
Yep, but it's nowhere in their terms and conditions. Those are the things that count when forming the contract. I'll get them on a technicality if nothing else!
ski holidays
I hope you do...I just don't fancy your chances.
ski holidays
My mate coming with me is a contract lawyer... he'll have an unbooked snowboard-sized "suitcase" too. He's looked through the easyJet contract and it's plain sailing on two fronts. One - a lack of max luggage dimensions and two - not mentioning snowboards specifically. It's no good generalising on these things. A contract is only as good as the words it contains. If they say, "you should have pre-booked" then we say, "but it doesn't mention snowboards and anyway, these are long suitcases that happen to have a snowboard in them along with our clothes". If they (as they will) call in the supervisor and they play hardball (which they will) we simply tell them we're paying under duress, try (I doubt they'll comply) to get them to put in writing that they are charging us for carriage of snowboards and that we're paying under duress, then simply whack a county court claim in for a refund when we get back. They CANNOT defend this. Their contract terms do not specify snowboards, they do not have maximum dimensions defined and they wouldn't have a hope in hell of defending it in court.

Furthermore, I would guess there is a very high chance of anyone who didn't pre-book (and maybe even those that did) getting back their money if they paid. Firstly you could argue it was jsut an oversized suitcase (no dimensions, remember?) and secondly there's every chance it will be indefensible in court as they'd have to prove that the charge levied was actually a valid estimate of costs. I bet the luggage handlers don't see a penny of that charge and everyone knows it's just a money making scheme. I bet you that no airline would want to take it to court as they wouldn't want to set a precedent that would open the floodgates for lawsuits. It's JUST like the bank charges thing that's going on. The charges are not enforceable as they are not a valid representation of cost. The airlines, to make it stick, would have to prove that it cost £15 for each set of skis/board that they took. How the hell could they ever do that - they couldn't. They'd lose, the floodgates would open. It will cost you a few pounds to issue a small claim against them. Write them a letter, say you consider it to be an unenforceable charge and that unless they prove to you that your £15 each way was an exact representation of costs, you'll issue a claim against them. They'll ignore you, you issue the claim, they'll either not defend it or ignore it and you get your money back. Simple.

Imagine they suddenly brought in a rule saying "it costs £100 each way for a snowboard or skis". How many people would pay it? Virtually no-one. No-one would buy their own board or skis anymore, everyone would hire in resort. The ski & snowboard manufacturers would be up in arms. It's an absolute rip-off as it stands, if they just made it a fiver each way or something, then that would be reasonable. £15 each way... bloody rip-off.
snow report
Keeping my fingers crossed for ya Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled wrote:
Imagine they suddenly brought in a rule saying "it costs £100 each way for a snowboard or skis". How many people would pay it? Virtually no-one. No-one would buy their own board or skis anymore, everyone would hire in resort.

More likely, people would fly with someone else.

I tend not to look at indivdual charges for things like ski carriage, cost of airport parking, etc, but at the total cost of getting to my destination. If a lo-cost airline is overall the cheapest, I'll go with them regardless of whether they charge a ski carriage fee. Given that you are so worked up about this fee carled, I wonder why you chose Easyjet in the first place?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 9-03-06 8:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
carled, Easyjet could just refuse to transport you. Bet they would try to define you as a difficult passenger, insulting to staff etc... Still good luck and does your mate hire himself out to other groups of people, I might just take him on my next trip snowHead
snow report
I'm not to happy with easyjet when I booked for the eosb. Next time I will have a good look around, as rob@rar.org.uk, says its the overall cost that counts but if the difference is small I book with another more skier friendly airline.
snow report
Glad I'm travelling by Ryanair on Saturday and won't be behind carled, him and his mate will be causing such a queue wink . Personally I go on holiday to enjoy the skiing not to enjoy aruging with Easyjet staff!
latest report
carled wrote:
My mate coming with me is a contract lawyer... he'll have an unbooked snowboard-sized "suitcase" too. He's looked through the easyJet contract and it's plain sailing on two fronts. One - a lack of max luggage dimensions and two - not mentioning snowboards specifically. It's no good generalising on these things. A contract is only as good as the words it contains. If they say, "you should have pre-booked" then we say, "but it doesn't mention snowboards and anyway, these are long suitcases that happen to have a snowboard in them along with our clothes". If they (as they will) call in the supervisor and they play hardball (which they will) we simply tell them we're paying under duress, try (I doubt they'll comply) to get them to put in writing that they are charging us for carriage of snowboards and that we're paying under duress, then simply whack a county court claim in for a refund when we get back. They CANNOT defend this. Their contract terms do not specify snowboards, they do not have maximum dimensions defined and they wouldn't have a hope in hell of defending it in court.

The T&C's on booking actually say "one piece of standard checked-in hold baggage weighing no more than 20kg", clearly a snowboard bag does not match this description.

Further to this :

Quote:
(b) We may refuse to carry as Baggage any item because of its size, shape, weight or character.

(c) We may refuse to accept Baggage for carriage unless properly packed in suitcases or other suitable containers to ensure safe carriage with ordinary care in handling
snow conditions
I think that's likely to get them off the hook
ski holidays
halfhand wrote:

I'm not sure what "hook" easyjet are on? They are perfectly upfront about this charge - if you don't want to pay it, don't take skis/board, and if you can find another airline which is cheaper fly with them. I can't understand why people get worked up about it.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
halfhand wrote:

I'm not sure what "hook" easyjet are on? They are perfectly upfront about this charge - if you don't want to pay it, don't take skis/board, and if you can find another airline which is cheaper fly with them. I can't understand why people get worked up about it.

ditto.

I can't believe anyone is seriously saying they don't understand that carrying things like boards, skis or bikes is additional work for Easyjet. Which must mean they think other people should be paying for it which is a common attitude.
snow report
where's the "sighing deeply" smiley...? wink

A lot of you are missing the point. It does NOT cost Easyjet £15 per set of skis or board, per flight, to transport them. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are deluded. They are racketeering and it is that I am protesting about. Last year they were supposed to be enforcing the charge, we didn't pre-book, got to the checkout expecting a fight and they didn't bat an eyelid nor mention any charges.

ise, about your "standard hold luggage" comment... I don't get it. My wife's suitcase is long and fairly narrow. It's actually 105cm in length. My snowboard bag is 170cm. That's less than twice the length, it's a soft, padded bag, it's half the width of her case, it's about a third of the depth and it normally weighs in, fully loaded, at 17 kilos. That's with my snowboard boots in there too. So the 65 cm of extra length makes it £15 worth of extra handling does it? Come on... No way!

All this guff about them being upfront about their charges... um, aren't banks upfront about their extortionate charges? How enforceable are bank charges in a court of law? Ah, that's right, they're not. It's exactly the same with these extra carriage charges. If Easyjet can demonstrate that it actually costs them £15 each way then good luck to them, they can have the money.

How did the poor angels cope before they brought the charges in? Did they charge more in those days? Nope, not really... recognise it for what it is and stop being sheep.

The reason I chose Easyjet is because they're one of the two airlines that fly to Turin that will cost me and my family less than a thousand pounds to get there. I don't have the money to spend on scheduled flights and I could do with saving the £30 Easyjet are trying to extort out of me.
snow report
carled, Easyjet are there to make money, not provide a service "at cost". They are not racketeering, as there is nothing dishonest about what they are doing: you are well aware of the cost of ski carriage before you confirm the booking - you did check to see what the cost was when you entered your credit card details didn't you? There are no hidden charges; it's all there in black and white (actually, black and white and Stelios Orange™).

The best way to protest would be to take your business elsewhere if you think Easyjet are poor value for money. Which is exactly what I do when booking ski flights - this season I've flown more with BA than I have done with easyjet because I've considered them better value for money. Last season I felt the opposite was true. Nothing sheep-like about my purchasing decisions, but I wonder why you are being herded onto an easyjet plane if you feel so strongly about their policies?
latest report
carled wrote:
It does NOT cost Easyjet £15 per set of skis or board, per flight, to transport them.

How much does it cost them to transport them from when you hand them over until you pick them up again? Please tell us what the figures actually are, since you seem to know them, then we can see what their mark up is.

By the way, how much does it cost the restaurant to buy in the ingredients to cook your dinner that you pay €20 for? It maybe costs them €2 or 3 at the most.
How much does a litre of milk cost Tescos?

What did you do before Easyjet, Ryanair, etc, when air fares were higher?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 9-03-06 10:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
carled, who was the other operator flying to Turin and why didn't you go with them?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy