Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need help buying my first ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm currently in the market for a new pair/first pair of skis.

1. About me: 5'8" - 72kg
2. Advanced Skier who gets ~14 days a year
3. Skiing mostly in Europe (Austria, France, Italy etc)
4. I Ski 100% of the time on piste and love to sl slalom turn. I like to have a quick response and attack the slope.
5. Budget: under £620 including bindings

I've have looking at slalom ski's as they suit exactly how I ski but maybe I should look at all mountain skis?

This would be my only set of skis for now but I really would like something that pushes me to ski better. Currently i'm looking at the 'Salamon X-RACE SC-165" or the "HEAD Supershape Magnum"

Thanks in advanced any input would be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm by no means an expert but i did go through this last year. My needs were similar to yours i.e. on piste, for that reason alone don't go for an all mountain ski! The Head magnum made my short list its a very good ski, but i ended up going for the Head i.Titans which i found to be fantastic.

My advise would be to go try some at a snow dome. I spent a weekend at Xscape trying different skis it's the only way really to know what works for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks that sounds like a great idea. Just looked at the nearest centre and they don't have any racing ski's. I'll see if they can get any in but either way i think going there and trying them out is what i'll do.

Does anyone have any opinion on the 'Salamon X-RACE SC-165"?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks nice !!

http://www.yellowgentian.com/ski-reviews/piste/salomon-x-race-sc
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
only way to choose a ski is to ski it, really. An internet review is never going to be a great measure of how well a ski suits you.

If your budget is £620, well done for remembering to include bindings; have you also included a bag? First time buying, I forgot to and that stung me for about £100, obviously no point in buying skis if you can't transport them.

Head Magnums and Titans are always on the list of good skis for first time buyers. I really don't think there is much I can say to you of any value other than "go try stuff". Literally. Maybe consider sacking this off for another year, and this season, make a real conscious effort to use a good ski shop with a big range, and change your skis ever other day. In a 2 week trip try and get through 6-7 pairs and make notes on what you like about each ski and what you don't. Don't buy a ski and have to adapt to it, or even have to sell it after 2 weeks. Buy something to last you by working out what characteristics of a ski you like the best, then honing your search on a few good models of that type. On the last day or two, go out on your favourite pair from the week and ski them again, then either come back home and buy some, or if they're in good nick, you could even see if the shop would consider selling you them on the cheap. (I did that with a pair and came out with a pair of skis that I knew I could ski, that cost me bug all).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rich9573, I have similar ability and preferences to you and ski almost 100% on piste. Based on your preferences I would avoid all mountain skis and go for a piste ski. They are significantly more satisfying on piste than all mountain skis, in my experience.

From 2012-2016 I used HEAD i.Supershape Speed 163cm skis with a 13.3 m radius and dimensions of 115-68-99. I am 5'10" and 65 kg.

I chose those after testing six different skis on two skiing trips. I told the rental shops that I wanted to change skis every other day and they had no problem at all with that. dp's advice above is all good.

I really liked my skis and enjoyed 11 great weeks skiing on them before one of them failed - only 66 skiing days in total. HEAD declined to offer an opinion about why one of the skis had failed after such a short time.

After my ski died I rented these and enjoyed them more than my own skis, despite them being slightly stiffer and significantly less expensive:
http://shop.head.com/en/ski/skis/race/wc-rebels-i-gsr-16.html
HEAD also make a slalom version of those skis.

You might find the following web page useful, particularly the 'How to Demo' and 'The Card' sections: https://www.realskiers.com/profiles/how-to-use-our-reviews/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy