Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go on. Convince me (middle aged git) it's worth going on my own - 14-21 Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Was hoping for a cheeky trip with a mate w/c 14-21 Jan. He cannot make it unfortunately, so I have the choice of not going or arranging something on my own. There's some rooms for singles available on TO websites, but not a lot. Any top tips/websites/companies for those planning to travel alone? Not fussed about where - somewhere suitable for a middling intermediate.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-11-16 22:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snoworks is doing an all terrain course in Tignes that week http://www.snoworks.co.uk/dates_detail.asp?dateid=854
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dobby, snowHeads bash?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, great idea, but alas for family reasons I am rather stuck with the dates 14-21 Jan. I think the Livigno bash is the following week. @Themasterpiece, not a bad suggestion. I think that I am at the bottom of the ability range for that course (happy on all the reds in Are but nothing much steeper), the only thing in my favour being that I am reasonably fit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Always hear people mention these guys

https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/activities/winter/skiing

know nothing about them myself but my understanding is that they are great for younger single skiers/boarders
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go for it. I've been skiing on my own for the last ten years due to a non skiing wife and friends that have moved on, given up etc. Although this year I've found someone at work that wants to go, so now I'm worried I'll hate not having the freedom I've been used to!

The up sides are total freedom to do exactly what you want when you want. I suppose it also depends on your personality but it also gives you some serious chilling out/getting away from everything time. If you are happy to pop for a coffee or go to a pub on your own in the UK then you'll be fine, if you never do that and don't go anywhere on your own then it might be a bit of a shock. The down sides are it tends to work out more expensive, the night times can be a bit boring, eating out or eating in the hotel can feel a bit strange - lots of couples and families and you sat there on your Jack Jones! It's also slightly worrying if anything happens injury wise, no one there for you to sort things out or help basically.

I always go with a tour operator and always half board. Reason is that then you have a rep in resort to hopefully be your helper if you have an accident, you usually have other Brits around so there's a chance you might meet someone to ski with or have a drink with, half board for me because I'm on holiday and don't want to cook and eating in the same hotel restaurant each night is easier and less weird than sitting on your own in a unknown restaurant.

I usually go to Italy as they seem to have more places with low or no single supplements and it tends to be cheaper. Austria is also pretty good from that point of view but can be more expensive. It's difficult to find last minute offers in single rooms as most offers tend to be based on two sharing. The single rooms tend to go very quickly as most hotels only have one available. If you leave it really late and there are no single places left you can book for two - I've done this in the past when the holiday with Crystal was half the brochure price so in the end it cost me no more than if I'd booked it months in advance. Not cheaper but got me the holiday I wanted.

I've had some great times on solo holidays, yes I've been bored at times but I've also met some great people and if I hadn't have gone on my own then I probably wouldn't have skied for the last ten years.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go for it. I've been skiing on my own for the last ten years due to a non skiing wife and friends that have moved on, given up etc. Although this year I've found someone at work that wants to go, so now I'm worried I'll hate not having the freedom I've been used to!

The up sides are total freedom to do exactly what you want when you want. I suppose it also depends on your personality but it also gives you some serious chilling out/getting away from everything time. If you are happy to pop for a coffee or go to a pub on your own in the UK then you'll be fine, if you never do that and don't go anywhere on your own then it might be a bit of a shock. The down sides are it tends to work out more expensive, the night times can be a bit boring, eating out or eating in the hotel can feel a bit strange - lots of couples and families and you sat there on your Jack Jones! It's also slightly worrying if anything happens injury wise, no one there for you to sort things out or help basically.

I always go with a tour operator and always half board. Reason is that then you have a rep in resort to hopefully be your helper if you have an accident, you usually have other Brits around so there's a chance you might meet someone to ski with or have a drink with, half board for me because I'm on holiday and don't want to cook and eating in the same hotel restaurant each night is easier and less weird than sitting on your own in a unknown restaurant.

I usually go to Italy as they seem to have more places with low or no single supplements and it tends to be cheaper. Austria is also pretty good from that point of view but can be more expensive. It's difficult to find last minute offers in single rooms as most offers tend to be based on two sharing. The single rooms tend to go very quickly as most hotels only have one available. If you leave it really late and there are no single places left you can book for two - I've done this in the past when the holiday with Crystal was half the brochure price so in the end it cost me no more than if I'd booked it months in advance. Not cheaper but got me the holiday I wanted.

I've had some great times on solo holidays, yes I've been bored at times but I've also met some great people and if I hadn't have gone on my own then I probably wouldn't have skied for the last ten years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suppose it depends on the individual. Personally I usually read when I'm at the bar/ at a restaurant / in a plane so I don't need to talk to people if I don't want to. If you do want conversation it's not hard to find in the evenings or on the slopes, at least in North America where everyone speaks a form of my language (Lancastrian). Overall it's just like real life: there are people who will tell you their life story on a chair lift, if you want to hear it.

But the best bit is that you can ride wherever you want, whenever you want, at your speed, listening to your music.

I'm not a "tour operator" person, but perhaps they tend to cater more for groups. Some resorts are more "family oriented", but I don't think that's much of a problem personally. So Les Arcs for example is a French families place in my experience, but that just means the good stuff lasts longer there.

If you like riding with other people then I suppose you may want to do something where that happens - a course, or I'll sell you cat or heli skiing if you like.

I guess if you do like company then you could try a catered chalet where they sometimes have odd places spare. I've never been on the receiving end of that, but you'd probably want to be pretty sociable for that one. So I think you can have it either way: solo bliss, or dump yourself on 12 other friendly people with lots of cheap wine and party every night...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The alternatives? Trips to B&Q, Sainsburys? Mending that dodgy guttering? It's these thoughts that make booking so easy.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dobby, you'll be fine with Snoworks. I did a summer ski course and it ranged from people just starting to learn carving skills to people training for FIS/Eurotest. Tuition is excellent - you will see the difference. And have people to ski with + share a beer and dinner.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Solos do Skiing holidays which are sociable , you can have people to ski with or not or have lessons though is not that cheap but you do get a single room
they have some for 15th jan
http://www.solosholidays.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually there are quite a few companies or groups you can go with
Inside Out Sking http://www.insideoutskiing.com/index.html
Singlesport http://www.singlesport.com/
Coldfusion
Spice

also Neilson , Crystal & Alpine elements do single rooms

I have been looking at going away on my own from 26th Dec to 2nd dec so have been looking around myself
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go for it. I am an old git who went on a solo trip with Neilson last year to Borovets. It was my first trip for 27 years so being on my own gave me a chance to ski the runs I wanted to without feeling pressured/constrained by what a companion wanted. I had a really good time, met some interesting people.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Convince you? Surely it's a no brainer? You can either stay at home or you can go skiing snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Singlesport has one room left in Dolomites on 14 Jan. Group of 24 with BASI guides--very sociable.
snow report
Some Finnish guys have a couple of rooms spare in Tignes https://www.freeride.se/forum/thread.php?t=101891#r1080264. Could be interesting if you like Salmiakkikossu.
snow report
@dobby, Would you prefer to be on your own, or part of a group of other solo skiers?
latest report
Go for it, I was at a loose end last season, decided I was going to make it happen & found another Snowhead who was looking to get away, bottom line was `i convinced one of my pals & we actually made up a group of 4 males, similar age who just wanted to ski.'

Went to L2A & had the best 7 days skiing ever Toofy Grin Very Happy snowHead Laughing

We met up with other snow heads who were in resort who basically took us under their wings & guided us all week - huge success, hopefully they enjoyed it as much as we did Razz Laughing

Or alternatively go & rent a room with Chris, this could change your life forever

http://skiingwithdemons.com/
snow report
Go for it - loads of people book solo skiing holidays - it's more common than you would think and you'll have a great time.

We do a few rooms with no supplement, and also offer no supplement on other rooms when demand allows. www.ice-fire.co.uk
latest report
Thanks, all, for the input. @japes1275, I was thinking along the same lines of half or chalet board with a TO (for convenience if nowt else). Personally, I am quite happy with my own company, but like having a few people around to chat to (brought up in a pub). Will have a look at a few options.
ski holidays
I always go solo for skiing, as OH just has no interest at all.

Currently booked for the same week you are looking at, in Bad Hofgastein.

My experience over several years is that Austria tends to have more availability and lower supplements for solo travelers than the other alpine countries.

And I've always gone with TO (most often Crystal as again this year), partly for the reassurance that there will be some support available if I crock myself, but mainly because I just have never quite been able to match the price, by the time transfers are included.
ski holidays
I've just booked a week by myself in France 7-14 January. Like others have said, I too worried a bit about going on my own. What if I get injured. Will meal times be awkward etc etc but you know what, the alternative is sitting at home carrying on with normal life. None of my friends ski/board so no real alternative.

Probably paid a bit over the odds, but went with Crystal as wanted a bit of a safety net for all the reasons mentioned above. Booked Alpe d'Huez in the end. Good choice of slopes, some bars to go and have a beer and watch some footy in the evening, swimming pool and sports centre included on the lift pass, good altitude for early Jan trip. The thought of sitting in a half-board restaurant surrounded by couples and families was not for me though. Self-catering...quick trip to the supermarket when I get there for some cereal/bread/juice etc and that's breakfast sorted. Then I'll just probably grab a takeaway pizza most nights on the way back from a beer. Sorted Happy

It's each to their own really. I'm quite a sociable person and will doubt end up having a beer or two out and about with others, but to be honest i'm not one for going into a chalet and being stuck with the same crowd ALL week. Like my own space, freedom to do what I want when I want to.

And after years of skiing, I'm hoping to board. So have a series of lessons booked in before I go so I can be competent enough to explore the green/blue runs across the mountain. Wish me luck!!
snow report
Decisions...decisions...Passo Tonale the cheapest option, but looks a bit tame piste-wise; other options on the cheaper side are Niederau with Inghams, Bad Hofgastein and other Austrian resorts with Crystal or a chalet in La Plagne 1800. Got this bizarre temptation to go to Niederau for some reason....
ski holidays
dobby wrote:
Decisions...decisions...Passo Tonale the cheapest option, but looks a bit tame piste-wise; other options on the cheaper side are Niederau with Inghams, Bad Hofgastein and other Austrian resorts with Crystal or a chalet in La Plagne 1800. Got this bizarre temptation to go to Niederau for some reason....

I've been to Neiderau twice - the second time in the season the link to Alpbach opened, and this year I'm going to Bad Hofgastein Smile

Neiderau is OK, but the local slopes are limited, you really need to take the bus to Auffach most days, and then ski either there or over in Alpbach (or both). There is nothing much tougher steepish reds anywhere in the Ski Juwel area though.

When I was there (don't know if it is still true), if you stayed in the Harfenwirt or its sister hotel (Sonnschein?), they ran a free bus over to Hopfgarten in the Ski Welt on Thursday and Friday.
ski holidays
Dobby, I can recommend Passo Tonale, it's a far cry from the big French resorts but it has its much better than you would think. I've been a few times over the years and am off there again in Jan.
snow conditions
@japes1275, cheers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy