Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, wife and I have Skied various resorts in the French Alps and Italian Dolomites for the last few years and looking at Austria for a new adventure.

We've seen a couple options in Lech & St Anton, we like a big Ski area for options (one of us a solid intermediate, one of us advanced) and we'd rather Chalet basis so tons of Restaurants are not nes. required. Do like options for gentle Apres Ski (we are in our 40's Little Angel ), could anyone recommend one over the other - or even another resort that we might take a look at?!!

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If your budget permits, go for Lech.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As you'll know by now, chalets are fairly rare in Austria, but are also our preference. My wife and I are also similar in terms of skiing ability to you guys, but are now slowing down a bit due to creaky knees and advancing middle age.

We've twice had decent chalets in St Anton and we're now going back for a second time to a chalet in Saalbach. Both are big ski areas and both have good (gentle) apres ski for a cheeky Aperol spritz or two, eg Basecamp at St Anton and the terrace of the Saalbacher Hof hotel in, err... Saalbach. St Anton definitely has the more challenging terrain.

We've not stayed in Lech, but we've skied there as part of the Weissring circuit and also on a day trip by skibus from St Anton. It's picturesque, with lovely skiing, but I can't comment on the nighttime scene.

We also had a chalet holiday in Mayrhofen, which was decent in terms of ski area, but not as good as the other two for a quieter post-ski, drink.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info Honved, did take a quick look at Saalbach, but it did mention it's Low and Sunny which worried me after last season, also wondered if enough challenge for Advanced - you've not experienced this as a problem?
If you don't mind to name drop the chalet, obviously worked out well if you're returning.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Remember Austria's also farther east and the snow line drops as you go east, so a resort height that might be a worry in France will often be fine in Austria.

I don't know about Saalbach in particular but Austria also tends to be more village in the valley/gondola to snow, rather than the French concrete on the hilltop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Mjit, whilst the French Alps having great skiing, we won't miss the concrete village of some resorts!!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The chalet in Saalbach is Haus Christina, run by Ski Miquel. We've also been to Pension Enzian, also in Saalbach, which is not a package place, but is run by a British couple is half-board and the size of a chalet. It's usually booked up very quickly though.

When we first visited Saalbach three years ago, we had the same anxiety about "low level skiing", but we took the view that if we had one bum holiday because of poor snow then we'd write it down to experience. The fact we're going back for a third successive time, is testament to the fact that our fears have so far been unfounded.

As for terrain, there's a lot of good long reds, along with inevitable linking blues, but two long blacks on the north facing side of the valley that are steep and icy enough to be buttock-clenching. There are visible bits and pieces of off piste at the edges of the ski area (look for Schneekar on the map for example) but that's not what I'd be skiing these days.

St Anton/Lech definitely tops Saalbach for ski terrain, absolutely no doubt at all, but as a mid 50s red-run cruiser that likes a decent lunch, a small mid afternoon schnaps and a post-ski beer, Saalbach wins out for me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All inclusive . (I have no connection to them)
Heard very good recomnendations
They have places in St Anton . Website in English as well. Your get more of an international mix of people than the English Chalet companys

www.skichalets.nl
Www.wenschalet.nl
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi JB1, From what you said, I would definately recommend Lech. There are now 4 'Chalet Hotels' in Lech run by UK TO's on a fully catered basis. 3 by ski Total (skip the Sonneck), Elizabeth & Montfort? both good and well placed. The Theodul is now operated by I think VIP ski and also very good. Apres is very good in a sophisticated way, no drunken rowdy behaviour. Live music in the Krone twice a week, live music outside at the Tanberghof sometimes. Not forgetting that the Arlberg is now the biggest linked area in Austria as from this season. The residents and seasonal staff are usually all very friendly and helpful, unlike France.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Evening OP. I'm in a similar boat having done last three years in Tignes and Les Arcs. We were also looking for a change for "value" and "skiing" reasons. Have a look at Stuben, with the new lift to Zurs it now sits slap bang in the middle of the Arlberg villages. Just booked a long w/e in Marc in Hotel APRÈS Post Spenny but way better value than similar rated hotels in Zurs and St A. Can't comment yet on APRÈS ski but bound to be quiet compared to St A.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dorset Mogul:- Stuben is a picturesque little village and as you so rightly say is now linked to the rest of the Arlberg. However it is a very small village with no real apres ski to speak of and very few other facilities, ie shops, post office, stores, equipment options etc. If you do want a really QUIET village it's ideal. There is some fantastic skiing around Stuben itself and if you want off piste it is also great as a base.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JB1, and @honved, Very interesting to read your exchange of comments about Saalbach. The Pension Enzian is run by friends of ours and is highly-rated. We also know the Chalet Christina. Any advice about these chalets or about Saalbach generally gladly given (send me a PM).

Regarding the ski area, it should be borne in mind that, since last season, it now includes Austria's "best-kept secret" - Fieberbrunn, with its extensive free-ride terrain. The altitude of Saalbach (just over 1,000m) is actually relatively high for Austria - higher than other successful ski resorts, such as Kitzbuehel, Mayrhofen, Zell am See, Niederau, Soll, etc. The south-facing slopes of the Glemm valley above Saalbach and Hinterglemm are of course sunny - a positive advantage in the early part of the season - but the other side of the valley, and also Leogang and Fieberbrunn, has considerable variety in terms of the orientation of slopes. To put it another way one might say that, whilst a sizable proportion of the 270km of pistes are sunny (being south-facing), it still leaves a good proportion that are not.

The snow-sureness of the area is borne out by the fact that it holds the runner-up position (to La Plagne) in the list of "most visited ski resorts". The heavy investment in snow-making technology (covering 90% of all main pistes) has meant that the resort has no difficulty in maintaining adequate snow coverage throughout the season, and until after Easter. Last season, when many resorts were struggling at Christmas, Saalbach was able to offer at least 100km of skiing, and all three main runs down to the village were open. We usually stay until around the second week of April and have never yet been unable to ski back to our accommodation in the village (ski-in ski-out is therefore possible throughout the season).

Regarding the standard of skiing available, it has the reputation of a cruisy, intermediates' paradise; however there are a few blacks interspersed among the blues and reds, and three of the blacks (numbers 1, 14 and 15) are long and challenging. There is plenty of enjoyable off-piste to be had (google "Bergenholz Saalbach" for some enjoyable youtube videos compiled by the guys who run the Underbar in Saalbach.

Regarding apres-ski drinks, it has something for everyone, ranging from chilled and relaxing to noisy and rumbustious. I have seen comments in other threads from people wondering if the atmosphere is too lively; however it's whatever you want it to be - the choice is entirely yours.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tatman's Tours:- Nice bit of advertising for Saalbach. No vested interest there then? Saalbach may be at 1000 m but Lech & Stuben are at 1400 and Zurs 1700, even 'lowly' St Anton sits at 1300m, and the Warth/Shrocken area is at the centre of THE most snow sure area in the Austrian Alps which is adjoining Lech. I'm a big fan as you may have surmised.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Man Of Lech, You wound me, sir (although I realise that I lay myself open to such an accusation every time I put my head above the parapet and offer any information based on my local knowledge, as you do with Lech). You will notice that I prefixed the word, "high" with the word "relatively", when addressing the altitude, and I will readily concede the Arlberg's superior height - and also the temporarily ( wink ) superior size of its ski area (but only for this season wink ).

Joking apart, I generally feel that a response is in order when I see people saying that they have been "worried" or had "anxiety" about "low level skiing", especially as it's not actually "low level" for Austria (relatively - note that word - speaking of course).

Having experienced the Arlberg many years ago, I much prefer the relaxed, cruisey skiing of the Ski Circus, but that's only because (again relatively speaking) I'm a decrepit, unadventurous old fart. To be honest I got a bit sick of all the fairly unremitting, mogully "steep and deep", and I positively detested "Happy Valley" at the end of the afternoon (it was late in the season, very chopped-up and crowded). I'm glad I went but have never wanted to return. However I do have good memories of the "White Circle", and it's good if it's now a properly interlinked area (like the Ski Circus) - again I got fed of having to catch buses (as well as having to hike to the lifts from where I was staying, courtesy of Ski Total, in Nasserein. I'm sure that it's changed a lot since then.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 26-11-16 4:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Point taken and I promise one day to visit Saalbach. It has been on my radar for some time just not got around to it yet and not this season as I will be in Colorado till April!
ski holidays
@Old Man Of Lech, Hope it gwta better in Colorado and the rest of the States as many resorts did not open Thanks giving due to warm temps & lack of snow.
ski holidays
stanton:- Don't I know it! I was wondering when I left Europe last week if I had made the right decision. Steamboat Springs opened day before Thanksgiving with just one slope active. Everyone here though is supremely confident it will get better. Keeping fingers crossed and snow dancing regularly.
latest report
@JB1, have a look at Ischgl as well, it would certainly be what you're looking for in terms of piste skiing. It's not exactly known for "gentle" apres but no-one's forcing you to dance on the tables Little Angel

Ski Total have three chalets there.
snow conditions
Skiworld have about 40 chalets in St Anton and 2 in Lech.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the replies, very tempted with a few of the suggestions, but Lech it is Very Happy
snow report
My wife and I are also looking at Austria this year - always done France with the odd spin-off into Italy. She loves cruising reds and the occasional steep black - I'm all about the off-piste/steep etc. (it was Serre Chevalier + La Grave last year). Looking at the St Anton area - how easy is it to ski all over that area? It looks huge - perfect for my wife as she loves to cover as much of the map as possible!

@honved, where did you stay in St Anton?

@stanton, those place look good!

We're not bothered by the après really, it's all about the good skiing. Any more recommendations on accommodation would be appreciated! Would prefer the catered options really. Budget wise - no need for anything over 3*...
ski holidays
@JB1, don't forget to do the night time rodelbahn from Oberlech to Lech 😀

@seamusw, have a look at Stuben as a base for Arlberg if not fussed about après. http://www.aprespost.at/de/winter/ Have not stayed at this hotel but at the Hubertushof which was fantastic. Now well linked to Zurs and you've always been able to ski to St Anton from Stuben
ski holidays
seamusw wrote:
My wife and I are also looking at Austria this year - always done France with the odd spin-off into Italy. She loves cruising reds and the occasional steep black - I'm all about the off-piste/steep etc. (it was Serre Chevalier + La Grave last year). Looking at the St Anton area - how easy is it to ski all over that area? It looks huge - perfect for my wife as she loves to cover as much of the map as possible!

@honved, where did you stay in St Anton?

@stanton, those place look good!

We're not bothered by the après really, it's all about the good skiing. Any more recommendations on accommodation would be appreciated! Would prefer the catered options really. Budget wise - no need for anything over 3*...

We stayed at a Crystal chalet that they don't seem to do any more (having just checked). But it was at the Rendl/Galzig end of the town which we thought was pretty good in terms of access and also apres.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy