Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice to upgrade Salomon X scream series

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am probably too old fashioned, but don't buy into the "every year the new model is soooo much better than last year" attitude of sport equipment manufacturers... In fact I have always looked out for equipment when manufacturers (accidentally Wink ) hit a sweet spot, which you can see from them not changing it then for years... I have witnessed this in windsurf boards, tennis rackets, etc, and the Salomon X scream series was definitely the ski that they didn't dare to change (other then graphics) for about 6 years or so, which to me tells a lot...
I really liked those skis, generally used them on piste, and little bit off piste. I had first the 195, then 187, and then the 179, which has a radius of about 18 m, so not so different from today's skis...
So - apologies for the long winded post - what would be the main selling points of the new models (let's say last 1-3 years) for upgrading these skis, and which models would be anywhere close to those when the manufacturers stumbled onto something (other then the yearly bs... Smile
Many thanks for any advice!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice piste skis for carving but I used to find those skinny skis hard work off piste, so it depends on where you spend the majority of your time? That should dictate where you narrow your search.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@szladob,

If you don't ski off piste much then the dimensions etc are likely still fine. I think you'd find a fatter ski (80-90mm in the waist) more fun off piste but that may not matter to you. I think 18m radius is a sweet spot for recreational piste skis to be honest.

That said, I would have thought that your x screams are getting a bit floppy and lifeless by now (I THINK they were foam core etc so not particularly long-lifed) and a new ski should give you more pop and bite.
I haven't bought a piste focused ski for many years now but recommendations here have tended to focus on Head and Blizzard of late. Personally I'd suggest testing something 80mm ish and 18m radius and probably around 180cm length for a day when you are next skiing and see how you get on.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have X Scream Series, which are now only used as rock hoppers. They were a fun, responsive and playful freeride ski in their day. If you are looking for those characteristics in a modern ski, I would point you in the direction of Scott. If you are mostly piste skiing, look at the Black Magic. If you want more of an All Mountain one, look at "The Ski."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Erm just about everything has changed for the better in skis since the X Scream came onto the market nearly 20 years ago. Assuming you are after a freeride ski (which is what the X scream was back in the day) Snowtrax have a killer deal on the highly rated Armada Invictus today.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Main recent change in skis is the use of a 'rocker' shape in the toe/tail and 'reverse' camber....

I went from the Xscreams to the 24 hour max which I really like, but it just doesn't seem as 'fast' as the Xscreams.

I'm tempted to tell you to stick with the Xscreams until they fall apart !! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'm tempted to tell you to stick with the Xscreams until they fall apart !!

Mine did and I had to buy some Fischer Progressors in resort Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
musher wrote:
Quote:

I'm tempted to tell you to stick with the Xscreams until they fall apart !!

Mine did and I had to buy some Fischer Progressors in resort Embarassed

Mine are still in the garage -- can't bring myself to bin them...!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for the replies. Unfortunately mine is not used enough, so they are still in perfect shape, good spring in the middle. While they were meant to be all mountain skis, the middle is 68 mm on mine (179cm), which today would be a race piste ski if I am correct... Maybe this is why it is so nice on piste as well (this is my main use to be honest)?
Does anybody know other recent skis that have been unchanged for years?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If they are still Ok, keep em. One of the best hangover skis I've skied.

Might want the bindings checked out though...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can always hire something for a day, just to see what you're missing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy