Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara or Alta Badia experts can you help please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Looking at an independent trip to Corvara in 2018 (nothing like advance planning). We have found a hotel near the Costas de l'ega lift but notice that the connecting lift above it seems to be a very long drag lift....as a group we hate these so my question is...
Can you connect with the bottom of the Col Alta lift (no 1 on the piste map) from the top of the Costas de l' ega (lift 29)? There is a spaghetti like maze on the map but no idea if any those runs take me in the right direction.
Any help greatly appreciated and sorry if it seems a daft question. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No doubt @SteveM will be along to give a definitive answer, we will be there abouts in late Jan and can let you know for sure but from memory if you don't want to use the Capanna Nera drag lift above the Costas de l'ega 3 man chair you can make a left ski/pole across the bridge which will have skiers going in both directions, then take the left fork down to the Col Alta Lift. You can alternatively rather than go up the Costa, ski down to the Boe and Borest lifts. Most of the pistes are on google street view - this is top of the Costa lift : paste the entire link including data ref into your address bar :
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.5445472,11.8787216,3a,75y,73.22h,91.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQiQ5Y-dvnX6dTTJhh-0M9A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LEchBob's reply is nearly correct!!

At the top of the Costas de l'ega chair, make a left and then an immediate left down towards the village (do not make a left and then try and go over the bridge as this route down to Col Alto lift is now closed) after 50 or so yards down the slope towards the village, take a sharp right and drop down to a sharp left and sharp right bend which goes underneath a road. Soon after you will cross over a street (you may need to take your skis off) and then go round the apres bar "L'Murin" and then you will drop down directy to the Col Alto lift station.

Just to note that the First Capanna Nera drag is quite long but also quite flat. AT the end of the first drag you can head straight (beware of oncoming skiers) and down a short slope to the bottom of the main pralongia lift (lift 15). Which is handy for getting to the Pralongia area of slopes quite quickly

For a better overview of the slopes in ALta Badia, have a look at the 3D Winter map from the following link. It gives you a better idea of where the slopes, lifts etc are, compared to the standard piste map

http://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/3d-map.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Lechbob, I'm honored and flattered - I didn't realise my role in this regard!

But luckily you and @jimmybog have beaten me to it Smile

Good shout from @jimmybog about the 3D map, but by my reckoning they have not quite adapted it to the new layout round that area. The old two way bridge used to be a bit of an adventure and a turn off that I would often very nearly miss when coming down that Arlara Boe piste and heading back to Boe gondola. A bit like it does not yet have the new gondola out of Arabba. Unless I need to download a new version?

@bethc, if you don't mind me asking - which hotel?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"...The old two way bridge used to be a bit of an adventure..."

Just a bit ! - timing was everything ; trying to avoid the skiers coming the other way who wanted to be where you where...... : surprised there wasn't more accidents...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@SteveM, I was looking at the Garni Tranquilitie. I have got to say though it sounds like it's not as well located as I thought. One of our group won't do drags at all so if getting to the Col Alta is not straight forward may need to look elsewhere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If that's the one I think, then it's easy peasy for Boe, Borest and Costa l'Ega. To get to Col Alt, go up that first short chair, and slide down a white path to Col Alt gondola - just follow everyone else that's clearly not using the bunny slope by that chair. They rejigged that path a bit 2-3 years ago iirc with a tunnel so no road crossing like there used to be.
No drags necessary. Oh and usually a magic carpet travelator to save poling the last 30m to that chair.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Plus try and book Garni Tranquilitie ASAP as it gets pretty much full during the season, even in the off peak weeks.

I always preferred using the Costa l'ega chair to get to Col Alto rather than walking to it from the bus stop outside the Posta Zirm hotel.

@SteveM, the 3d viewer program itself was updated this year but I dont believe the maps have been. In fact, regarding that specific area, last season they rereouted part of the slope that ran beside the Capanna Nera 1 Drag so you didnt have to go through the tunnel under the road that was just to the right at the top of the Costa l'ega chair. I'm sure this also is not shown on the 3d map (yet).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SteveM wrote:

Don't be modest. Many snowHead BirthdayBashers can testify you know Sella Ronda and off shoots like the back of your hand and are happy to let you show them the way
see how I avoided saying guide
thereby avoid having to decipher the map.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you everyone for your help. Am pleased it is doable and so I will put it to my group (we're a bloody awkward bunch) and see what everyone wants to do.

Thanks again, Beth
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
albob wrote:
"...The old two way bridge used to be a bit of an adventure..."

Just a bit ! - timing was everything ; trying to avoid the skiers coming the other way who wanted to be where you where...... : surprised there wasn't more accidents...

Don't remind me, I had my biggest pile-up ever on that bridge, kept speed up to try and get across then noticed a huge 2ft deep groove carved into the turn which I fell into. Skis off and legs akimbo, thankfully nothing nasty, but my ankle was sore for weeks afterwards.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bethc, certainly - having looked at where the Garni is, then @andy has got it spot on - very well placed for both Boe gondola and Borest gondola. In fact if I were you and was looking to ski the Blue area above Corvara I'd even go up Boe, ski off back down towards Corvara but drop right into Planac, cross the road and hook up with the bottom of the Pralongia chairs that way. Or take a nice tour via Passo Campolungo and up over the top of Monte Cherz then on up to Pralongia, etc etc. That way you can ski back down in towards Corvara and pick up the Col Alt to head back up for a bit more. So many choices ....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lechbob wrote:
SteveM wrote:

Don't be modest. Many snowHead BirthdayBashers can testify you know Sella Ronda and off shoots like the back of your hand and are happy to let you show them the way
see how I avoided saying guide
thereby avoid having to decipher the map.

+1 he knows the best coffee n cake stops too Razz
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy