Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Waxing Kit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'd like to get myself set up to be able to wax my skis myself. Any advice on what kit and wax to buy? I ski 3-4 weeks a year, I'm a ski tourer most of the time so do use skins and I ski at all times of the year. Any help appreciated. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to spyderon at http://www.thepisteoffice.com. He has everything you will ever need at good prices and is a fountain of expert advice.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First thing to stress is not to overstress IMO.

Ideally a decent table and vice makes it a lot more fun and a lot easier but I did start out just using a couple of beer crates.

You can buy a travel iron from Tesco and it will work but temp control is random and buying a made for the job iron doesn't cost the earth.

Don't touch the base edge.

Buy a side edge angle and a couple of files to do the edges.

A slab of universal wax (you ski all conditions right so buying a specific wax isn't going to work).

A scraper to get off the excess and a brush.

Job done.

As a nice to have get a ptex candle and metal scraper for base repairs.

Some people have hotboxes, clean their skis before waxing, have gummy stones, different brushes, extra grades of diamond files and do a lot more. I don't because I'm an 80/20 man Happy But start with the basics and work your way in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok, question for the panel (is this turning into Waxers Question Time?)

Is 'Modern' i.e. the stuff that won't give you cancer, burn your eyes out, or turn your cat into an extra from a David Cronenberg movie, base cleaner essentially just a citric acid and water solution?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Ok, question for the panel (is this turning into Waxers Question Time?)

Is 'Modern' i.e. the stuff that won't give you cancer, burn your eyes out, or turn your cat into an extra from a David Cronenberg movie, base cleaner essentially just a citric acid and water solution?

Seems the subject is BIG

Personally I got some spray as part of my Edge and Wax start up back that I've used occasionally. But I won't be buying anymore.

TBH I don't hot wax either.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Richard_Sideways - hi; dunno what's in it but I do a fair bit of tuning and use base cleaner very sparingly anyway - just for cleaning areas prior to p-tex repairs. I do hot wax cleaning to get rid of crud so don't use the liquid much........ so am not toooooo worried about chemicals in small amounts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy