Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids Racing Skis help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, looking to buy a set of racing skis for son who has just started with the local clubs racing group. He's a decent skier (9 years) been skiing for 6 years, but just started racing this year. Looking at these -Fischer RC4 JR SLR 2 JNR, however im not sure if they are an actual race ski? Some of the descriptions on sites makes you think it is for a beginner skier? On the other hand, he's new at racing so doesn't need a top of the range race ski either. These work out around £120 (with bindings) due to discount.
Thx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How big/heavy is he? If he needs 125/130+ he might be better on something like this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gilly28, Looking at them, they are just a basic ski with RC4 branding on top

Would be really useful to know a bit more about your son:

Height? what length ski is he on now? Normally people will ask about weight to, but in a 9yos case it really isn't going to matter Happy (they are all skinny little sods compared to us Happy )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As @PaulC1984 says, those are basically kids skis with race stickers. If junior is a serious skier then you are looking at double that price Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@musher, PS nothing wrong with pretty branded skis, my nipper has got some Head SL world cup skis..... in a 110cm - I think full blown race skis for a 4yo who should be having fun is OTT, he thinks they are race skis, and it believes they make him go faster Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PaulC1984,
I've got some Head branded "race" skis, they make me feel good too snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@musher, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok, thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking but hoping I was wrong!

He is 140cm, he's been skiing at dry slope race club in 130's. It'll be mainly dry slope races with the odd day in Glencoe race training and maybe an odd race on snow.

We are getting him new K2 Juvys for his holiday skiing (outgrown his older ones) and had hoped just to buy some second hand race skis but so far haven't been lucky, and saw these ones and thought perhaps....

I'm thinking we should maybe stick to looking out for a decent 2nd hand pair as really don't want to be spending hundreds incase he decides it's not for him, although so far seems very keen.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Might be worth a look on here:

http://usedski.co.uk/skis/children

I got a pair of Atomic Redster skis for my daughter which have been great for the local dry ski slope slalom race team. I'm not sure how good they are as racing skis but she holds her own on them. Since she grows out of a pair every season I was happy to buy second hand.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gilly28, Good plan

Juvys are a great little ski for the kids, so good choice there.

In terms of race ski, yes those skis you've picked won't really hack it.

Better with the RC4s musher mentioned above our something like these https://www.glisshop.co.uk/pack_ski/head/wc_irace_team_slr_2_junior_slr_7_5_ac_solid_black_white-100377.html - not quite a full race ski, but not far off.

3 thoughts for you:

1) Keep an eye out for black friday deals!!
2) Look at 'Racers Skibay' on Facebook
3) Skibay on Facebook

Other than that, given that he's not going to be lighting the world on fire this season racing (he should be having fun!) save the pennies and buy race skis in the off season Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thoughts on these:

Head super shape LR

Fischer RC4 Superior Junior

Thanks for your help as we don't have a clue!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

buy race skis in the off season

+1, July skis are half price Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PaulC1984, Thanks for your input. Already a member of racers skibay, I will also join skibay.

Black Friday deals and Xmas presents is what is fuelling the idea to buy just now as saw some deals originally on Ekosport (various stuff)

Yeah wondering if just stick to club skis for this year, it's just nice to have your own skis and know what you can do in them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gilly28 wrote:
Thoughts on these:

Head super shape LR

Fischer RC4 Superior Junior

Thanks for your help as we don't have a clue!

To be honest they are both much of a muchness, pretty much the same ski.

If it were me (and whilst they are neither a race ski, nor branded as a SL Race ski) id go for the Heads

1) There is no White on them - anyone who skis plastic knows white is a bad bad bad idea, constantly cleaning the sodding things Happy
2) Personal experience with Dynastar, fisher and Rossignal is that the bases seem (and I stress seem as I have no hard evidence) to be softer. In all my time racing on dendex, I only ever managed to burn and blister the bases on my roses, dynastars and fishers, whilst my Head skis never seemed to scratch so deep nor burn.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@PaulC1984, Thanks, the Head are working out around £107, is it worth it as a race ski or best just to wait this year? I probably don't want to go up to the £200 and over this year.
latest report
@Gilly28, Unless hes carving and carving well rather than 'skidy turns' he won't notice much difference between these and a full on race ski Happy
snow report
@PaulC1984, Mmmm OK, having looked at a You Tube video it seems like you say it's not a full on race ski. I'm thinking this would be ideal as a ski for racing and also using in general (to save on costs) whereas we will have his Juvys, so perhaps the answer is we are not at the position to fork out on a full on race ski?

Oh then I read your comments on carving etc and think he's not going to notice any difference! Argh!!! It's a minefield! Lol I just don't want to spend money incase the actual club skis are in fact better.
latest report
@Gilly28, Which club is he skiing at??

If it helps make your mind up, he will love you forever (so he will say!) if you get him them, BUT he will destroy the bases in a year on dendex, and will need some new ones for next christmas..... and you'll be back here this time next year with the same dilemma Happy Happy
snow report
@Gilly28,
If he's going to use the Juvys on snow this year then hold fire and get some decent race skis next season if he's still keen. You will be looking at £200+ for the next step up.
snow report
@PaulC1984, Haha Paul, too true! He's at Bearsden in Scotland.
snow conditions
@musher, I'm thinking you are right. The Heads could be bought by family as an Xmas present though.......lol
ski holidays
@Gilly28,
I have some proper kids race skis (Atomic race 12 SL) in 130cm in my garage that my kids have outgrown. Good condition bases and edges - serviced and waxed for storage. They are rather different to the rebranded recreational skis! I'll drop you a PM in case you are interested

J
snow report
@jedster, Thanks, have sent you a pm
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy