Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking between xmas & new year (Nr Geneva)

Poster: A snowHead
As always, I'm looking for advice.

Trying to sort out a 3 night short break on a budget with a friend as I have to take these days off when my office is closed.

I've identified reasonable flights to Geneva that allow us to ski half the day we get there and all of the day we leave, so 3.5 days. But I'm struggling with accommodation in any of the resorts within 1.5hrs of the airport; lack of availability and cost.

Given the numbe of resorts close to Geneva, is it worth booking the flights and gambling on getting something last minute? Open to flats, hotel or B&B.

As always, cheers in advance.

BB
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Badbobby, I`ve been looking for a few days too, though near Val d`Isere. At present everything around there is looking rather pricey and not for less than a complete week.

If you are willing to drive in the mountains and can add car hire into your budget you can drive to a resort each day from Geneva or its outskirts. You`ll probably have more luck finding short stay accommodation in that area. We have driven to various resorts on day trips from Geneva but it does need a slightly different mind set from being based in, or close to the actual resort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd say taking the risk is feasible, but you might well end up as @CaravanSkier, suggests.

That said, we have one apartment free for the period and if it weren't to sell, we'd not be unreasonable. I am sure there are others in the same boat.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both

We're looking at Wed 28th to Sat 31st - so I was thinking that anyone not filling that week due to Xmas and NY being inconveniently on Sundays might accept us taking it from Wed to Sunday so we can check out late on the Saturday.

Just didn't want to rely on that assumption if it's not sensible.

Probably will avoid car hire to be honest, just too much hastle (I think). We are two guys who'll want to apres etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Badbobby, your big risk of course is that we have bumper cold snowfalls and you have problems Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Badbobby, book a rental car and a room in the IBIS budget hotel in Sallanches - lots of choice within striking distance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@Badbobby, book a rental car and a room in the IBIS budget hotel in Sallanches - lots of choice within striking distance.

agree that's what I'd do
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
But, @pam w, @jedster, almost certainly for the hotel you could do that totally last minute.

I'd book car hire now just to get that done and that covers transfers too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the help - car hire is very expensive over new year from Geneva and transfers for two shared with the usual suspects is only c.£60-70 pp return.

Decisions! If the flight was £100 i'd take the punt and just not go if I couldn't get accomodation, but £220 (whilst not expensive per se) is too much to throw away.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Booking.com has a bunch of places in Chamonix for <£300 for those dates, and some £<200.

Then you can use alpybus or mountaindropoffs for the transfers, and you're sorted.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@snowdave, aye, a few but the trick is finding something that will let you change pre check in and leave your bag (to ski day 1) and then shower after a day skiing on the last day, technically after checking out.

Potential to book a cheapo rental but they might not let us check in early and certainly would have to pay for an unused 4th night on the last day.

I'm more trying to manage my mate's expectations as he's reluctant to book without accommodation visibility.

Whereas I'm unwilling to book until I know where there is snow!!

Whilst on that topic, presume Chamonix would be the best bet were I to book this week?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The fundamental requirement that you want short term accommodation at a reasonable price is deliverable. If you want an extra day at either end for free in one of the busiest periods of the year then you might just be going beyond what's achievable.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Air B'n'B in Chamonix for less than £300 on those dates and €48 return on the Chamexpress, other option could be Bride Les Bains for less than £250 on booking.com for access into the Three Valleys.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

almost certainly for the hotel you could do that totally last minute.

You'd have thought so, but that hotel is often pretty full - and actually not that cheap for an Ibis budget either. superb location though, right there when you fall off the autoroute, easy to Flaine, Chamonix, Combloux, Megeve.

IBIS's investment in that building is probably one of their more lucrative ones.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, what about Innsbruck?

The City Centre is 2 miles from the airport, so transfers would be a 10 min ride on a local bus. Book a hotel in the centre (there'll be plenty of availability as they'll have no business guests during that period) and catch the free daily buses out to the various resorts surrounding the city. The Nordkette lifts are almost spitting distance from the centre, a bit further to Igls, Glungezer, Muttereralm or Axamer Lizum.
latest report
@luigi, flight availability & price?
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@luigi, flight availability & price?

If he doesn't mind Thurs 28th -Sun 1st, Squeezyjet from Luton is showing on Skyscanner at £112.

Gatwick options for a little more.

You gotta spend New Years Eve in the Alps, if you can!

4* Hotel Alpinpark £87 per room per night on Amoma via Trivago, so £261 for 3 nights.

There are some cutesier Hotels in the villages for similar cash on Booking.com, but you'd need a car to get around.
ski holidays
@luigi, that's pretty reasonable!
snow report
Once when I stayed in an apartment in Austria, the friendly owner offered to store our luggage and let us come back after skiing and use the shower (for free) to freshen up and get changed before heading off to the Airport, they're usually pretty good like that.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@luigi, that's pretty reasonable!

Looks quite a bit cheaper than what the OP had found...cheaper flights, reasonable hotel during peak holiday period, minimal cost transfers...unless I'm missing something! snowHead
ski holidays
Ah, flight times...there's early flights out to INN, but nothing (reasonable) in the evening coming back, so that would cut down skiing time. Sad
latest report
If prepared to stay in valley have a look at interhotel at scionzier. Super accommodating - even let me leave skis and boots there for three weeks between trips with only one night stay at either end. Would need a car though
ski holidays
@luigi, thanks for your input Luigi.

As you note at the end, the issue is late flights back. Just booked flights now for £191 for 28-31st to Geneva.

As you all helpfully point out, I'm sure we will get something sorted.

Also booked the 17th for 3 nights. Lots of availability, but got to hold my nerve to see where the snow falls!
snow report
I may be renting out my apartment in Montriond ( Morzine/ Avoriaz) @Badbobby, if you're interested PM me
snow conditions
Quote:

car hire is very expensive over new year from Geneva

Jeez, you're not joking. We paid £242 for an 'intermediate class' car through autoeurope.co.uk from 24th December - 4th Jan from Lyon. Looking on their site just now for your dates from Geneva (french side) the same class car is £312. 70 quid more for a third of the time.

Anyway, have fun wherever you end up!
latest report
Aye, a fortune for something too small to get my skis in.
snow report
If mate won't hire car or budget won't stretch you could stay Annecy (ibis plus numerous hotels) and (public) bus there and back to La Clusaz/Grand Bornand. Ligne 62. Arrive 0930 Depart 1830. So not first lift and only a bit of apres ski. But Annecy old town has lots of restaurants and bars so you could continue
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Smile Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Thing is, a short ski break is always more expensive, per hour skiing, than longer trips. And this one is going to take place at the most expensive and busy time of the season.

'snot going to be cheap, is it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, I am aware of these facts.
ski holidays
Got something booked - via Morznet search - £175 each for 3 nights and access to spa on last day - free cancellation until 15 Dec if snow looks ropey.
snow report
Whilst I have people's attention - what's Chamonix like for short breaks vis a vis the buses to get around? Is it pretty smooth going? Thinking that i don't want to waste 30mins getting buses when I get there at midday and ditto on the last day when leaving.

Also, in a nutshell, what's the skiing compared to say Morzine/PdS area (noting the PdS is clearly a bit massive - so comparing it to the Morzine/Avoiriaz only area).

Cheers!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy