Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Baggage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi , this is probably a dumb question , i dunno Smile

Anyways , we have our own skis and a double wheeled bag etc , my worry is how big it is.

Are these things easy to wheel around an airport?
What about a taxi? will they fit in a standard car?

it must be about 2m long and 20kg weight with all the gear in , just looks incredibly cumbersome and hoping someone can give a few tips on travelling with one.

My idea is to use an oldstyle rucksack so i have that on my back with this monstrosity being dragged behind me , i just hope the airport isnt busy or ill be wiping people out all over the shop
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hawkwind, Once at the airport and onwards, they are very familiar with ski bags and can handle them, even resort taxis The worst problem you might have is the cattle grid queue for the checkin as the bends can be tight sometimes.

If you are taking a taxi to the airport, it would be wise to specify the 2m load length before hand, as you don't want a last minute early morning panic.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict,
Good idea about the taxi to the airport!
Ive been practising for the wiggly check in , i can sort of stand it almost upright and the wheels still kinda work so i think i can inch it around , although no doubt ill be sent away miles away to oversized luggage drop off.

I get to Milan , im not so sure about the taxis there , maybe one of those 8 seater jobs , after that its a bus but reckon that will be ok , just fire it in the side and hope my skis dont get crushed by hundreds of bags!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use one too, takes 2 sets of skis, plus my boots and most of my gear (the rest goes in hand luggage). Not too bad round airport, and transfer companies are used to them. If hiring a car it might prove troublesome, though getting from home to airport and back is easy if you drive a pick up!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only real issues you'll find are:

a) You'll need to tell the UK airport taxi about the long bag so you get sent an estate. At the other end skis will be bread and butter to them
b) They all tend to look the same at baggage reclaim.
c) Airports are full of retards and no matter how far out of the way you place your bag someone will find a way of falling over it.

None of these are the end of the world though as:
a) If you forget it doesn't usually take too long for the cab company to dispatch a different car.
b) You can easily tie some ribbon/stick some stickers on it to make it stand out (to you and anyone who might mistake it for theirs).
c) It generally hurts them more than your ski bag.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My wife and I have a double ski bag, too. It's a bit of a pain, but we travelled by train from Geneva airport to Wengen two years running with them in tow and it all worked out OK. They lay nicely in the aisle of the train when there was no overhead luggage rack!

Best to tell the taxi company, though. A lot of cars these days have a hatch behind the rear seat armrest (the one that folds out of the middle) which opens into the boot/load area, so you can fit skis though that, as long as there are only two people in the back seat.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tom Doc,
ive to use crappy citibus then aircoach to dublin.
think the flight is at 6am or something ridiculous so probably into town on the bus , few beers and 1am bus to dublin.

@Mjit, Smile like it , another good idea about marking the bag

@Screaming Dave, yeah defo looks a pain to drag about , esp when used to travelling light!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I sometimes think having a shorter padded bag with no wheels each would be better, but then Squeezyjet hammer you for two sets of sporting equipment
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hawkwind, I can fit a 2m ski bag in my Renault Twingo, although you do have to put the front seat down.

In case you don't know the car, it's like this:

And if you think it looks ridiculous, try to imagine it with a 6ft, 17+st man driving it Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

hope my skis dont get crushed

You are travelling in a hydraulic press? How odd.

Just what do you think it would take to crush a pair of skis?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If bag is 20kg u may need to check your airline sports equipment "small print" re: the weight and be ready as and when to be moaned at by the airline. Me and my missus have used one bag with both our skis in for yonks and it's 17kg. Have never had to repackage anything but have sailed a bit close to the wind at times and had to wheedle our way out of it. Hopefully you'll be fine but thought it worth mentioning........ Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@SnoodyMcFlude, Laughing Laughing

@under a new name, you know what i mean Smile they are brand new and my new toy , im just a bit concerned for their wellbeing lol , maybe the bindings could get damaged or something
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I sometimes worry about my skis/bindings getting damaged in what is really just a soft bag, but then I think of the hammering they get when I'm acutally skiing and realise that the dear old baggage handlers couldn't do any worse
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bisonator,

20kg with aer lingus, bought one of those scales for a couple of quid from China, amazing what you can fit in and still be under 😀

@Screaming Dave, yeah I think they will be ok, usually just rent them so all new to me
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hawkwind - nice one; that's alright then Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy