Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Re-waterproofing Ski Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm new on here, so please accept my apologies if this subject has been done to death, but my ski jacket and salopettes need re-waterproofing. Final day skiing in Morzine last season and it rained heavily all day, and my lovely waterproof ski jacket turned out not to be! In fairness it had been washed.

So I would be grateful for recommendations of a good re-proofing spray, please.

I've seen one: Grangers Xtreme Repel which has to be "activated" in the tumble drier. Is this any good, or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks in advance, Snow Heads

Screaming Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use Nikwax and also have used Fabsil in the past, both to good effect.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Screaming Dave, Welcome to SnowHeads.

I'm sure you will get variants of this based on each persons favorite product.

Re-proofing is normally a 2 stage process. The first step cleans and washes out any detergents, and the second step applies the proofing. You need to make sure the detergent drawer has been washed out befor you start.

I use Nikwax Tech Wash for the first stage, and Nikwax TX.Direct wash in as the proofer. It works for me on Gortex Pro fabrics.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 21-11-16 16:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So when you wash out the detergents do you effectively run the washing machine on a normal wash, but just without any detergent? I guess the instructions will be on the re-proofer.

And then you just wash with the Nikwax TX?

Sounds good to me!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Basic steps:

1. Clean/wash out the detergent drawer.
2. Check washing instructions, usually 30/40C, load max 2 items.
3. Put 100-150ml of Tech Wash in drawer and start programme/spin.
4. Once complete put 100-200ml of the TX in drawer and start programme again.
5. When complete be careful as you remove items has they will probably be full of water Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for this.

Do you not spin the items at the end of the cycle?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Screaming Dave, You do spin them, but because they're waterproof you'll end up with pockets of water than haven't spun out.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah! Of Course. Many thanks for all your advice. Much appreciated
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Screaming Dave, if your kit says it can be tumble dried, then that can help "activate" the waterproofing. But it's not essential.

Bear in mind that (as I understand it, mostly from conversations on here!) what you are doing if you have a membrane based garment (e.g. Goretex) is a. unclogging the membrane pores using the washing liquid and then b. restoring the water repellent coating on the outer surface - so that's not actually water proofing. If I have this wrong please someone correct me!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not entirely sure it's Gore-Tex or anything like that. It's a Mountain Whorehouse jacket. I think they call the fabric IsoDry.

I think I'll try the wash-in type of proofing anyway - it can't make it worse!

To be fair, it was pretty heavy rain and I was an idiot for skiing in it when I could have been drinking beer, but it was the last day, so ......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"ISODRY is an advanced technology unique (!!???) to Mountain Warehouse, which can be found in a variety of products such as waterproof shoes and coats. Isodry is a waterproof and breathable lining constructed of a membrane which is fully waterproof but porous. ISODRY fabric permits perspiration to pass through one side but not the other so moisture will be wicked away but rain will not enter."

membrane...

I'd go for it - I can't imagine it will make anything worse.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah. I just need to eke the gear out for another season. This year's choice is buy nice new gear or actually go skiing - no brainer, really!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Screaming Dave wrote:
It's a Mountain Whorehouse jacket.

I want me one of them! wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, membrane fabrics, like GoreTex, rely on the water repellent outside surface to keep their breathability. If the outside fabric wets out then this blocks the little pores and the thing cannot breathe. Then you just end up wet from sweat on the inside.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@altis, ah. Thanks, that makes sense.
latest report
I've never found an aftermarket treatment that produces any reliable waterproofing (with the exception of silicone sealant mixed with white spirit on tents). The most they do is make things water repellent whilst consuming cash that you can just save up for a new jacket.
snow report
snowdave wrote:
I've never found an aftermarket treatment that produces any reliable waterproofing (with the exception of silicone sealant mixed with white spirit on tents). The most they do is make things water repellent whilst consuming cash that you can just save up for a new jacket.

My Dale of Norway wool ski jackets are re-waterproofed by ironing Shocked them at a low temperature....
snow report
+1 for Nikwax wash in - works on all sorts of stuff exteremely well
ski holidays
Yeah - Nikwax for me too.

Follow the instructions on the bottles and make sure you wash/clean the detergent/conditioner tray before starting.

Stores like Blacks often have deals where if you buy something they'll knock 50% of the price of a Wash & Proof pack - even on very cheap stuff like a hair band or something.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:

Agree with this. Just save the cash and aggrvation. Buy new that will reliably do the job rather than rely in the old stuff and find its crap when you grt out there. New gear doesnt have to be expensive and can be multifunctional.
latest report
Anyone know whether ultra-everdry has made it to clothing proofing etc yet?

<edit> I think I've just answered my Qn - only seems to be for industrial usage https://www.ultraeverdry-store.eu/faq_ultra_ever_dry.htm </edit>

http://youtube.com/v/BvTkefJHfC0
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:

??? Puzzled

I find Nikwax very effective and it keeps me dry. My last jacket (G-tex Pro) lasted 12 years so about 600 ski days, often in inclement weather plus a bit of sailing and general mountain use.

My current jacket is approaching season 6...
latest report
Goretex pro is inherently waterproof, that's what's keeping you dry. The nikwax is helping the breathability and stopping it wetting out, but if you applied nikwax to the same face fabric without the goretex membrane, it would Only be water repellent. if you are static in pouring rain for long enough in paramo (which is a non membrane nikwax treated system) you eventually get wet inside.
snow report
@snowdave, indeed. Exactly what happens. And the Nikwax wash restores g-tex performance and the tx-direct nicely restires the DWR.

It works.

At €500 per jacket there's zero chance I'd be replacing every time the DWR starts wetting out!
ski holidays
@under a new name, yup, we're violently agreeing. I observed that I've not found an aftermarket treatment that makes something waterPROOF, I don't dispute you can restore DWR (albeit I achieve the same with a machine wash with normal detergent and tumble dry and my 20-yr old cycling-to-work Goretex remains fully waterproof and water repellent). The aspect of Goretex performance that you are 'restoring' is the breathability, by removing dirt/oils and ensuring the face fabric doesn't wet out. Nikwax doesn't make non-waterproof fabric waterproof.

The OP was asking about how to waterproof a jacket that was leaking, and I observed that in my experience this is pretty much impossible. He can make it water repellent, but in all day rain (his original problem) he would still be just as wet. If he was asking how to improve/restore breathability it might be worth a shot (tho' Tesco Liquid Soap and a tumble dry would be much cheaper than Nikwax).
latest report
@snowdave, I used to get reasonable results "waterproofing" SOS kit with Nikwax, SOS-sportswear for skiers by skiers (who appreciate the water resistance of a Tetley tea bag).
ski holidays
Up date on this. I bought a bottle of Mountain Whorehouse's own jollop, specifically for the IsoDry fabric my jacket was made of. It made things better but compared with the fabric of the hood, which I'd removed and never even taken skiing with me, it wasn't waterproof. i put both items through the process twice, and I'd say it wasn't worth the effort - so I just had to buy new gear - shame!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy