Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Z12 forward pressure - where is it?

Poster: A snowHead
Old boots sole length 277mm. New boots 276mm. I haven't tried them in the skis yet. I am hoping no adjustment will be needed for length. They are rail bindings but Ive never adjusted them before. Anything else I need to consider?

edit: the boots fit the binding fine, no adjustment needed. but I am blowed if I can see the forward pressure tab. Photos in the technical manual show a metal tab - mine does not have it. I will try and put up a photo. Anyone got these and know where it is?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 19-11-16 13:52; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A small adjustment might be needed, forward pressure should be checked. If the boot is loose in the binding it won't release properly. Pop into a shop, they shouldn't charge a lot if anything to check them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidayloverxx, as job says it should be a minor adjustment but forward pressure needs checking.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I will check forward pressure. No time to put them in a shop before setting off on Wednesday
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
edited first post and title - now struggling with forward pressure
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

my binding with the boot in
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, Look here, on page 24:

http://salomontechnician.com/uploads/2013_salomon_alpine_tech_manual.pdf
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobinS, thanks - wish it was a photo rather than a drawing. it looks similar but I can't see how to move it nor can I see what the happy face is representing. bah!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, I have a similar rail binding, although the forward pressure marker is on the side of the heel piece rather than being the screw itself. My understanding is that you adjust the rail position to fit the boot and then check that the forward pressure marker is within acceptable parameters, rather than adjusting it independently as with e.g. a Marker Tour binding. If the marker is withing the range, then you're good to go, otherwise you adjust the rail again.

Generally, a boot will "fit" a couple of different positions of the rail, that's why it's important to check you have the correct one.

Disclaimer: I am not a ski tech an may have misunderstood your binding type.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, it is definitely infer the Din screw according to the pictures. I just can't make it out. I will take them into snowberry next Saturday morning
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Scarlet, it is definitely under the Din screw according to the pictures. I just can't make it out. I will take them into snowberry next Saturday morning
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@holidayloverxx, that sounds like a good plan.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Here you go:

With the boot in, the rear end of the silver tab should be somewhere in the middle of the cutout in the black plastic as shown on my skis.
To adjust, put a wideish flat blade screwdriver horizontally underneath the silver tab and twist it to raise the tab, then move the whole heelpiece forward or back Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After all that, just seen your pic and it's different to my Z12!!!!
Spyderjon to the rescue Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@KenX, there is no silver tab. it's all black plastic - my photo above isn't very good but I can see it doesn't look like yours Sad
snow conditions
Is it a rental binding or on some kind of plate? Definitely a Z12 cos that's what mine is........
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, from the drawing, it looks like you adjust the positioning by lifting the plate in the centre of the binding (see the arrow marked 1 in pic 8 ). You could experiment by lifting this, moving the heel piece one notch forward or back and then seeing how that affects the forward pressure indicator so you may then have a better idea what you are looking for.
ski holidays
if it's on a track, then there will be be bsl markings underfoot and an arrow on the heel piece with some serrations on the track, adjust the bsl and check the arrow is within the serrations, if not, re-adjust the bsl......
ski holidays
FWIW, mine is a vanilla Z12, no BSL adjustment and standard Salomon forward pressure adjustment......
ski holidays

Wrong binding Ken!

There's a couple of versions of that binding.

Here's one.
snow report

And here's the other.

Sometimes you get both on the same binding.

If it's a rail system you have then disregard the boot scale for the heel as the majority of the time a correctly adjusted boot will be on a different scale to it's boot sole length rolling eyes
snow conditions
@Scarlet,i it is the forward pressure I'm after. I can adjust the length ok.

@KenX, definitley Z12 ..rail system. Looking at it now

@spyderjon, it is the top one - how do i know if the forward pressure is right?

... and yes the scale for the heel is on a different scale to the length Laughing
ski holidays
And a 3rd obviously (mine):

So for the OP, how do they adjust their forward pressure?
snow report

When the boot is installed the vertical face (in red) has to be within the notch in the rail (in white). If there's two length positions that fall within the notch then use the one nearest the middle of the notch.
ski holidays
@KenX, nice cracked base around the rear mounting screw. It's a feature on those Sallie bindings rolling eyes
latest report
"Rushes out to check his bindings".........
snow conditions
Arghhhh......
Well, thanks holidayloverxx and spyderjon for bringing this to my attention, luckily only fitted to a pair of old rock skis...... Very Happy
snow conditions
@spyderjon, thanks - it looks fine Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, Was out Instructing, but see @spyderjon, has got you sorted - matches my understanding that what is shown is the guide, only adjusted by changing the boot length settings - which as he says do not actually match with real BSL.
ski holidays
@RobinS, thanks for coming back to it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy