Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wax advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
I brought a new pair of skis from ski Bartlett last spring. They arrived with bindings attached.

I'm not starting to wonder if they need waxing before I use them

I was then looking into ski paste wax as it's easy to apply! Is this wax any good or worth sending them to a shop to do properly
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You should wax them with a proper waxing iron using a good general purpose wax. New skis come from the factory with only transport wax and in order to give the bases the best protection you should really wax them.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When you ask on a forum full of people obsessed with sking you will invariably get the response that you should wax and sharpen your skis all the time. However, plenty of people buy skis and don't do a thing to them for years.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jason123, The wax that is applied by the manufacturers its more of a storage wax to stop the base drying out.
Its applied by machine and will wear off very quickly. A good hot wax with an iron will have you gliding for much longer.
IMO paste wax are a waste of money.
The combination is a good hot wax and then applied some Zardoz when your out there
But as @Themasterpiece, said some people just ski them rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Themasterpiece wrote:
When you ask on a forum full of people obsessed with sking you will invariably get the response that you should wax and sharpen your skis all the time. However, plenty of people buy skis and don't do a thing to them for years.
I'm guilty of this much of the time - then the snow hardens and I realise I can't hold an edge for toffee or the snow softens and the people I'm skiing with go shooting past me on the flat while I'm left polling.

Yes, there's a mid range where the snow's pretty cold but not hard and there, you can ski with any old crap on your feet. But then, there are people who only ski, for example, 'when it's not too icy' and for these people, a decent edge on their ski could shift their perception of how icy things are to the point that it doubles or triples their ski time. Similarly, skiing on skis that haven't been waxed for ages is more tiring: in some conditions very much more tiring and again, well prepped kit could extend this person's ski day by hours, potentially.

...and yes, I know, at the other end of the spectrum, there are instructors etc who never wax or edge their skis but with their expertise and fitness and in the context in which they're skiing most of the time, they've the 'headroom' to compensate without significantly impacting their [snowplough] performance.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It sounds like you might have bought these online? If you've not had a tech look at them it might be worth running them into a shop anyway (with your boots) to check the bindings have been set up correctly for your boots in terms of forward pressure/toe height adjustments (you need the boots to do that properly).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This...

Quote:

I used a tea-light purchased from Ikea on my pair of GS skis and my son's twinnies.
Just rubbed it on... blew a bit of hot air at it (from a hairdryer....gfaw... gfaw...!!) and then scraped any excess off with a plastic ruler I had lying about... then a bit of brillo pad that I found round the back of the boiler.

Sorted!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I brought a new pair of skis from ski Bartlett last spring. They arrived with bindings attached.

I'm not starting to wonder if they need waxing before I use them

I was then looking into ski paste wax as it's easy to apply! Is this wax any good or worth sending them to a shop to do properly

After spending countless winters working in French ski shops I would recommend getting them waxed. This is because the factory wax only lasts a few runs and then they become dry. I know a lot of people ski on un-waxed/dry skis, but it depends how much you care about your skis and how fast you want them to go. If it's a bad snow day having unwaxed skis can literally bring you to a stand still, forcing you to pole through-while people with waxed skis effortlessly glide past.

The ski paste you mentioned is not really worth using because that too only lasts a run to two. Give it a hot wax, and if you really care for your skis give them a few coats to make sure the wax really gets into the base.

Another tip: (On new skis) If you're a recreational skier it's worth checking to see if the tips and tails have been de-tuned, otherwise you may find them a bit grabby in the turns.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Happyskitech wrote:

Another tip: (On new skis) If you're a recreational skier it's worth checking to see if the tips and tails have been de-tuned, otherwise you may find them a bit grabby in the turns.

I've seen conflicting advice on that from ski techs. There is a view that detuning isn't necessary on modern shaped skis.

Here's what @spyderjon's site has to say on the subject

http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/tuning-guide/6-detuning.html

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-11-16 22:41; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having just been for a ski tuning session at The Piste Office this makes perfect sense. Detuning isn't necessary on modern skis. Why would you tune a ski edge then offer to take off some of tune for less control?
There is a lot of conflicting advice out there but I'll go with the practical explanation Jon gave.
(Great course by the way, if anyone was was thinking of it).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I've seen conflicting advice on that from ski techs. There is a view that detuning isn't necessary on modern shaped skis.

I mostly agree with what is said in the article. Yes it is preferable to bevel the base edge so that you do not catch your tips or tails (or find them grabby), but most people do not have a base edge bevelling tool/file, let alone know how to use one. So for most people, a light de-tune with a gummy stone would be more than sufficient.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd say someone who hasn't got the ability to control a tuned tip or tail of their skis shouldn't really go near an edge file. Instead, they should enjoy renting for a couple more holidays and enjoy their lessons!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Happyskitech wrote:
Quote:

I mostly agree with what is said in the article. Yes it is preferable to bevel the base edge so that you do not catch your tips or tails (or find them grabby), but most people do not have a base edge bevelling tool/file, let alone know how to use one. So for most people, a light de-tune with a gummy stone would be more than sufficient.

If you haven't had a base grind then why are you touching your base edges?

If you've had a grind and you want to set your own base edges then buy a file guide rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, ....TROLL....!!!!

Spotted at 1000m....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@valais2, nah... 10 years from living out here... 2 kids skiing from age 2... one of the racing and in the local club.
Nothing i've written is untruthful from my plain and somewhat simple perspective. I'm not trolling.... just being honest really.
latest report
@flangesax,
I can't believe you bothered to faff about with hot air on your tea light wink
ski holidays
@musher, of course!!!... I should have just lit the second one and used the flame!!! I'll do that next time as the hairdryer needs to go back into a guest room!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy