Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 're-branding' - no walking in ski boots/carrying skis after 8pm!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm not 100% sure this is real, and I can't see how it could really be enforced, but Ischgl posted this on their Facebook page today...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-11-16 19:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it is true, it is very funny.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It will definitely be true. They like their rules. It can be carnage some nights but it does seem to be a bit over the top.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure it's a clamp down on Apres in any way, shape or form.

I guess if you are planning on being out late, get a locker, and put your kit away....then go party? Or go home by 8pm....and come back after?

I don't doubt it's authenticity, and anticipate it will be enforced. I also don't doubt that there will be a few arguments over it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Geez, do you work in the Daily Mail's missleading headline team or something?

A local ordinance is being introduced in Ischgl between 8pm and 6am to encorrage people to go home and change if they are out for a big one, rather than clomping home in the middle of the night waking people up and often falling over and injuring themselves. That's miles from your "Ischgl to clamp down on apres" headline.

Apres ski is basically 4pm to 7pm, after that it's a night out. If you want apres you can still do it in full ski gear, if you want. If you want to party through till breakfast you still can, you just need to pop home at the end of apres and change your shoes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A pair of rockered rubber sole tracks solves the hard boot problem Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mjit wrote:

Laughing

Fair point!

But clearly the intention IS to reduce the apres and get away from Ischgls image as a party resort, otherwise why do it?

I also think trying to tell people what they can and can't wear when (c'mon, no ski boots in a ski resort in the evening?) is pretty shitty. By all means fine people making too much noise or injuring people/damaging property, but that's a different matter. Want to bet the foppers will accept 'I just wanted to go for a night ski/tour' as a suitable and justifiable reason, or will they rather get a slice of that €2000 (seriously, two THOUSAND!! euros) pie?

St Anton had (has?) the 'shhh police' which seemed to work well without penalising anyone who wasn't being a dick. IMO Ischgl are trying to change their image to compete more with Lech/St Anton but in a really idiotic way.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa wrote:
A pair of rockered rubber sole tracks solves the hard boot problem Toofy Grin

Ha, true - wanna try it though? NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
IMO Ischgl are trying to change their image to compete more with Lech/St Anton but in a really idiotic way

Exactly. And that after (Ischgl has no equal in this) spending millions of noisy marketing for years to attract the folks they now apparently want to get rid off.

So much for "Tyrol's leading lifestyle metropolis"......hilarious!
As they say in Vorarlberg: Tiroler Kitsch!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
so what happens if you are walking through town on your way to or from a night tour?

I can think of many times I've been walking down the hauptstrasse (in Mayrhofen) heading to or from a night tour...i haven't been drinking or dancing on tables...do i still get a fine?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Metropolis + no noise after 8pm = oxymoron rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
does that mean all ski hire shops need to be closed by 7:30pm, to enable you to get any skis/boards back to your residences in time before the curfew police are out in force????
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Laughing

Fair point!

But clearly the intention IS to reduce the apres and get away from Ischgls image as a party resort, otherwise why do it?

I also think trying to tell people what they can and can't wear when (c'mon, no ski boots in a ski resort in the evening?) is pretty shitty. By all means fine people making too much noise or injuring people/damaging property, but that's a different matter. Want to bet the foppers will accept 'I just wanted to go for a night ski/tour' as a suitable and justifiable reason, or will they rather get a slice of that €2000 (seriously, two THOUSAND!! euros) pie?

St Anton had (has?) the 'shhh police' which seemed to work well without penalising anyone who wasn't being a dick. IMO Ischgl are trying to change their image to compete more with Lech/St Anton but in a really idiotic way.

Where does it say that it is the intention to reduce apres?

You have read the document....in English und auf Deutsch?

Am sure that if people follow the guidance, there will be less injuries caused be falling over in the street, less damage caused to people and property from skis, snowboards etc.

Not mentioned in the document either about the amount of people who
, maybe through drunkeness, pick up the wrong skis or completely forget theirs, leaving problems for other people to have to sort out.

Personally I doubt I have ever woken anyone up and certainly not damaged any property when sneaking home in the early hours, but some it seems haven't grasped this concept.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mayr, yep, both.

It doesn't explicitly state the intention is to reduce apres, but given the focus on new high quality apres and high calibre entertainment I think it's pretty clear that their intention is to create a classier vibe and image and do away with the party town rep.

Which is fine, if that's what they want to do. Totally understand it from a local's perspective. But just go after the people who actually cause the problems rather than treating all their guests like children and telling what to wear when. And keep some sense of proportion when it comes to fines.

Given the majority of guests in Ischgl are adults, they don't need protecting from self-inflicted injuries of falling over whilst drunk - let them be responsible for themselves and learn the lesson if they can't.

Not that it affects me as I only drive to Ischgl for day trips, but it's a disappointingly un-Austrian puritanical nanny-state idea IMO, and would certainly make me think twice about booking a holiday there if I were a tourist (and I have holidayed there in the past).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Like the Ischgl Advert says,

"Relax. If you Can (In Ski Boots Up Until 8pm)." Toofy Grin

Surely this is discrimination against (piste) skiers, as boarders are allowed out in their footwear after 8pm!😳😳 We ski tourers should be ok though!
On a serious note, I think this is taking the P1$$ really. A ski resort banning snow sport kit and footwear from the streets after 8pm. Whatever next? Puzzled
snow conditions
I wonder how many people will be walking the streets in socks post 8:30.
snow report
I love the way that it says "the regulation is intended to increase the quality of your stay". I can't thing if anything that will improve my holiday more than a €2000 fine rolling eyes

Unnecessary rules are something I particularly despise, and rules regarding clothing often fall in to this category. 8pm?! Hardly a late one. And laws about what you can carry should be limited to weapons and other items that could realistically be considered dangerous.

I bet they don't apply such rules to the local churches ringing their bells well before dawn. When I was in Ischgl, the bells were a much greater and more regular disturbance to sleep that someone walking past in ski boots, carrying their skis!
latest report
So presumably being a dynafit booted fun sponge both solves the noise problem and acts as a credible excuse as no one so beardy and worthy would ever be out for just a good time wink
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:

Unnecessary rules are something I particularly despise, and rules regarding clothing often fall in to this category. 8pm?! Hardly a late one. And laws about what you can carry should be limited to weapons and other items that could realistically be considered dangerous.

!

I caused $800 of damage to my own nose just walking across an icy carpark courtesy of a fresh pair of skis so dangerous is relative.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, well that's punishment enough, surely? I expect you didn't do it again. Another couple of grand on top is just putting the boot in.
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Your nose is worth more than $800 Shocked
snow conditions
I think every resort should have mandatory how to "carry your skis" lessons with certification before you can buy a lift pass.

Most of the scratches on my helmet have been from dimwits spinning around to blow air kisses at their vacuous chums with skis horizontal on their shoulders rolling eyes
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
@mayr, yep, both.

It doesn't explicitly state the intention is to reduce apres, but given the focus on new high quality apres and high calibre entertainment I think it's pretty clear that their intention is to create a classier vibe and image and do away with the party town rep.

Which is fine, if that's what they want to do. Totally understand it from a local's perspective. But just go after the people who actually cause the problems rather than treating all their guests like children and telling what to wear when. And keep some sense of proportion when it comes to fines.

Given the majority of guests in Ischgl are adults, they don't need protecting from self-inflicted injuries of falling over whilst drunk - let them be responsible for themselves and learn the lesson if they can't.

Not that it affects me as I only drive to Ischgl for day trips, but it's a disappointingly un-Austrian puritanical nanny-state idea IMO, and would certainly make me think twice about booking a holiday there if I were a tourist (and I have holidayed there in the past).

So why have you put 'Ischgl to clamp down on apres' in the title to this thread then then? Sensationalism.....sell more papers?

I fully anticipate you will be contacted regarding libellous remarks Laughing

Perhaps it has something to do with health and safety? And duty of care etc? You should know, Ischgl is a business.

The bottom line seems to be, if you want to wear your boots and carry you skis or board after 8pm you need a good reason. (8pm is the last ski bus btw)

The amount of 'upto EUR 2,000' may seem high, however there are plenty of people around who would ignore a smaller amount perhaps and run the gauntlet of not complying with the order. So perhaps the fine limit is set so to include even the wealthy.

There are many locker facilities on the mountain and in town if you wish to extend you apres into the night time, which will be an inexpensive alternative to a fine.

I am not sure if there is a specific individual reason for bringing in this rule/bylaw, but would imagine there has been an increase in injuries and/or damage caused by people wearing boots and carrying skis/boards etc. I am sure we have probably all had to dodge someone with skis on shoulder turning around at some stage or other. I know there have been vehicles (private and commercial [ski buses]) damaged previously due to carelessness with skis and boards.

I suspect the risk of damage or injury in town increases with the amount of alcohol consumed.

I doubt very much if the town would ever consider prohibiting the sale of alcohol or even limiting it's sale.

Perhaps far more frequently there is more damage and injury on the slopes caused by careless behaviour, and personally would far rather see efforts made to reduce this in Ischgl or any other resort.
snow report
@mayr, as said above I may have been just a tad sensationalist with the title Laughing But the idea is still pretty clearly intended to limit apres - whether that's just to 8pm, or the start of a bigger rebranding or whatever term you want to use.

I was just very surprised when I saw the letter - I can change the title if you really want, but then many of the comments would be nonsensical wink

FWIW I still think it's pretty outrageous though!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I think every resort should have mandatory how to "carry your skis" lessons with certification before you can buy a lift pass.

Most of the scratches on my helmet have been from dimwits spinning around to blow air kisses at their vacuous chums with skis horizontal on their shoulders rolling eyes

Well you'd think after it happening once you'd learn to stand or walk further back from the person in front of you. You'll never stop dimwits being dimwits.
ski holidays
Only in your head does it seem the intention exists to limit apres.

It will not limit apres for me.... not even once.
latest report
@mayr, I'm surprised you can't read the intention in the message that Ischgl no longer wants the rep of wild party town. Seems clear to me, to most of the commenters on their FB post, and plenty of others discussing it on FB. By no means just me, and by no means just Brits either for that matter.

Plus the obvious you have to go home and/or pay for a locker to keep a change of shoes by 8pm is an 8pm limit if you want to be pedantic about it.

But gotta go skiing now wink
snow conditions
Doesn't read that it is trying to stop après is my reading of it, merely says they are trying to reduce noise from pi$$ed up idiots in town carrying skis (or rather trying to) AND wearing hard soled ski boots after 8pm.

I have personally got tired of losers spoiling my well earned sleep at 2-3am as they fall all over the place in St Anton and no longer normally stay in town for that very reason. I see it as a means of ensuring the centre of Ischgl stays a chilled and cool place to be for the majority, not just for a bunch of folk who over-indulge who want to spoil it for the silent majority.

I really enjoy 2-3 drinks after skiing, and wine over dinner its part of my holiday but typically young Brits and Skandis who cant take their drink falling all over and shouting at 3am, dragging their ski and boarding kit along the city centre, urinating/ being ill etc, deserve to get fined, I'd love to see them enforce it but doubt they will. I think folk off out for a moonlight tour will be fine, unless they are the ones doing the drinking before they set off up the hill, which I doubt! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29 wrote:
... but typically young Brits and Skandis who cant take their drink falling all over and shouting at 3am, dragging their ski and boarding kit along the city centre, urinating/ being ill etc, deserve to get fined

Be careful about posting comments like that, stantroll will be jumping into this thread soon! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
@mayr, I'm surprised you can't read the intention in the message that Ischgl no longer wants the rep of wild party town. Seems clear to me, to most of the commenters on their FB post, and plenty of others discussing it on FB. By no means just me, and by no means just Brits either for that matter.

Plus the obvious you have to go home and/or pay for a locker to keep a change of shoes by 8pm is an 8pm limit if you want to be pedantic about it.

But gotta go skiing now wink

Clarky999....This will be because I read between the lines and don't make stuff up in my head.

Perhaps it would be logical for any ski area to not want 'riff raff' in town. Wild parties yes...'riff raff' no.

So, only shoes or socks after 8pm if you are coming to Ischgl Laughing

Want to wear your ski boots and wave your skis/boards/poles around after this time.....find another resort rolling eyes

Enjoy your skiing, I'll be back in Europe soon enough, returning from my autumn training location in the Far East Razz
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Seems clear to me, to most of the commenters on their FB post, and plenty of others discussing it on FB.

Well, case closed then. You and a load of other people with no official connection to the Ischgl authorities who have jumped to a conclusion based on either reading the English translation of a press release (though probably on FaceBook just reacting to other people's posts) MUST be right. rolling eyes

Bringing a bit of reality in to the situation - I can't actually recall seeing very many people out in Ischgl post 8pm still in ski gear. Most people seem to either drop their skis and change before heading out for apres or hit the apres from the slopes, then head home to drop skis and change before dinner. As such this is just a tool to help keep a lid on a small group who's anti-social behaviour can spoil things for the vast majority of visitors.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 18-11-16 10:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@mayr, according to an interview with TVB Direktor Andreas Stein it's about quality, so trying to get rid of the 'Ballerman' image that Ischgl now enjoys. So in effect it is about trying to give Ischgl an image facelift ( which it needs imo. I don't go there for that very reason ).
ski holidays
Unfortunately when common sense, good manners and consideration go out the window, then a town has no alternative but to enforce what were previous 'norms'.

Quite sad really.

And certainly not confined to Ischgl.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, OK, I'll Include Dutchmen too then, they are pretty noisy too. That should get him nicely hooked....i'll resist the temptation to mention noisy clogs out of politeness though...

@Steilhang, I agree, I personally don't like to image of the place, skiing may be great but its a lads-week town imo, and I've little interest in the place currently. If they sort it and initiatives like this help then I'd be keen to go back one day.
snow report
Mjit wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Seems clear to me, to most of the commenters on their FB post, and plenty of others discussing it on FB.

Well, case closed then. You and a load of other people with no official connection to the Ischgl authorities who have jumped to a conclusion based on either reading the English translation of a press release (though probably on FaceBook just reacting to other people's posts) MUST be right. rolling eyes

Thanks for the condescension.

I already said earlier I read the German PR release too. I've also heard on the radio several times in German. And spoken to a bunch of Austrians about it. In German.

FWIW I live here, I work in the ski (and leisure/travel) industry, am involved in marketing campaigns with the Tirolean Tourism Office and various resorts (there's a lot of collaboration between many resorts and businesses across the state), and have a pretty good insight into Ischgl's marketing problem (it's not rocket science!!). I also ski there several times a season as it's on my season pass.

The people I reference on Facebook involves conversations with a bunch of ski/tourism industry people in Tirol I know - including guides, instructors (locals not gap year types), pro skiers and boarders, film and media crews, marketing people from various resorts/tourism offices, owners and staff from various bars/hotels/shops/hardware manufacturers/etc in various parts of Tirol and Austria, etc. BTW that was also in German.

I don't want to name drop, show off, or sound to cool for school, but I have a pretty good insight into the goings on of the industry here.

You can either choose to believe that Ischgl are doing this because they are genuinely concerned lots of their guests can't sleep at 8pm because of the sound of ski boots, or that out of the goodness of the hearts they want to protect drunk guests from falling over by threatening financial pain instead of injury.

Or you can look at the reality of the situation.

Ischgl has an image problem - evidence by plenty of comments in this thread and many others on this forum. Many consider it to be first and foremost a party town, with people dancing on tables throwing back Jägermeister all night, "drunk Germans vomiting on the streets," and that serious skiers should go to the Arlberg as Ischgl has no serious skiing. Or that people with money should go to Lech, for that matter.

This is plainly nonsense - Ischgl is a great resort with fantastic skiing, and the apres crowds/drinking are no worse (or better) than St Anton. You can go wild if you want, or you can find somewhere quieter. It's by no means all pervasive.

Unfortunately, that's the image regardless. So what can they do about it? Well, now they are making sure no-one is going to be dancing on tables in ski boots and swilling Jäger all night, and are clearly trying to focus on - and promote - higher end and classier activities.

Which is fair enough. I don't think trying to change their image is a bad thing at all. I do think banning ski boots from the centre of a ski resort in the early evening is patently ridiculous though, and that they could have done it in a way that doesn't show a clear lack of respect to their guests.

Once again, I do accept that the title of this thread is a fairly ridiculous over exaggeration, but making sure people stop apres to go home and change their shoes by 8pm IS putting restrictions in place, even if you consider it a fairly small inconvenience. DO you honestly think a €2k fine if you walk more than 10m to a taxi is fair or proportional?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 21-11-16 11:52; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Doesn't read that it is trying to stop après is my reading of it, merely says they are trying to reduce noise from pi$$ed up idiots in town carrying skis (or rather trying to) AND wearing hard soled ski boots after 8pm.

I have personally got tired of losers spoiling my well earned sleep at 2-3am as they fall all over the place in St Anton and no longer normally stay in town for that very reason. I see it as a means of ensuring the centre of Ischgl stays a chilled and cool place to be for the majority, not just for a bunch of folk who over-indulge who want to spoil it for the silent majority.

I really enjoy 2-3 drinks after skiing, and wine over dinner its part of my holiday but typically young Brits and Skandis who cant take their drink falling all over and shouting at 3am, dragging their ski and boarding kit along the city centre, urinating/ being ill etc, deserve to get fined, I'd love to see them enforce it but doubt they will. I think folk off out for a moonlight tour will be fine, unless they are the ones doing the drinking before they set off up the hill, which I doubt! Laughing

See this is exactly the point. The police can already cause trouble for drunks chundering or pissing in the street. Likewise they are already free to stop people singing and shouting all night. Totally fine in my book! But they don't need to treat all their guests as children incapable of looking after and taking responsibility for themselves - or telling them when they have to go home to get changed.
latest report
@clarky999, Think you are very right.
And the boys here in the forum that cannot accept Ischgl's new policy, well aren't they actually reacting like teenage boys being patronized, which they resent? ....Boys, you'll have to accept it, Ischgl can and will patronize as it likes!

The funny thing of course is that Ischgl has been spending million of euro's on marketing to actually get to this situation. Unlike any other major skiresort in The Alps.
The huge parties with big stars at both the start and end of the season have surely contributed to this image of "Ibiza of the Alps".
And still -also this press release- they like to see themselves als "Tyrol's leading lifestyle metropolis"
Which suggests they should asap find a new PR-agent, teaching them some style and sensible marketing.

It has been suggested that Ischgl would surely not limit apres-ski because then they will lose money. Well, here ("Follow the money!") of course we get to the core of the issue: Ischgl is realizing they are making more money with hotels and restaurants. And these hotels and restaurants are suffering from some aspects of apres-ski.....
And, actually, Ischgl can probably make even much more money in hotels and restaurants than already is happening.
Comparing the Lech-Zürs hotels (9 5 star hotels, 67 4 star hotels) with Ischgl (1 5 star, ~50 4 star) makes things very clear: Lech, totally lacking in serious "Austrian" style apres-ski, is making much more money in its hotels.
And I (a Lech-fan, but not able to pay 5 star rolling eyes ) can definitely see a restyled Ischgl making Lech's future less bright!
snow report
This really has nothing to do with Apres Ski. As has been said before Ischgl has a strict policy of ending Apres Ski at 7.30pm and kicks people out pretty quickly at that time due to pressure from the hotels to get people back in to eat.
This is surely aimed at those that carry on drinking right through and then stagger back singing at 1am or 2am, sometimes falling over and injuring themselves or those that go back earlier (10pm / 11pm when things are much busier) and almost take peoples heads off with their ski's.
I'd suggest it won't last long. As others have said the Austrian Police have powers anyway to stop people that are causing a problem and aren't shy in using them. All that really needs to be changed in the time. 8pm is too early in my opinion. Change it to 11pm or midnight and it's probably workable and people will live with it. I can see the Dutch all coming out in clogs though in protest.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:
DO you honestly think a €2k fine if you walk more than 10m to a taxi is fair or proportional?

Did you read the third from last sentence of the article you posted at the start of this thread? Laughing

Nice post by the way...must have taken a while to write....and you must be out of breath...so breath deeply for a bit.

Do you not understand that no matter how much you blow your own trumpet or try and stamp your authority over a particular matter, people will form their own opinions and those opinions may differ from yours. The purpose of a forum is for open discussion. People will disagree no matter how much you try to influence them, or ridicule them. Very Happy

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 18-11-16 19:47; edited 1 time in total
latest report
mayr wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
DO you honestly think a €2k fine if you walk more than 10m to a taxi is fair or proportional?

Did you read the third from last sentence of the article you posted at the start of this thread? Laughing

Yup. Walk 10m to something that isn't a taxi - like home! - and you still have a problem wink

I haven't read the actual police notice though - do you have a link?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy